Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
You nailed it! I
Yup, I nailed how people are making two contradictary complaints at the same time.
I hope Ford follows a similar pattern to how Tesla rolls out new software updates:
Good thing we know they are doing tiered deployments internally then externally including a (currently invite-only) beta program people are already a part of, I guess!
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Nothing on mine yet. Checked in the car and it says i'm up to date.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Nothing on mine yet. Checked in the car and it says i'm up to date.
likely a staged rollout which would be reasonable. we know there were internal rollouts and at least one set of testers (the previously discussed NDA beta people).

it's interesting that a forced check doesn't start it though.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
likely a staged rollout which would be reasonable. we know there were internal rollouts and at least one set of testers (the previously discussed NDA beta people).

it's interesting that a forced check doesn't start it though.
It would seem this has been released outside of the beta program.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
It would seem this has been released outside of the beta program.
yes, wasn't saying otherwise. my point was that Ford clearly has the ability to do limited rollout so it's reasonable to think they'd do that for "generally available" as well.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
yes, wasn't saying otherwise. my point was that Ford clearly has the ability to do limited rollout so it's reasonable to think they'd do that for "generally available" as well.
Oh wait, just realized its @hybrid2bev so he's probably in the beta before the beta program. ?

OP
OP
milepost1

milepost1

First Name
harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Carbonizied gray - FE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You nailed it! It needs to be a sensible balance between trying to release perfect software and releasing high quality software in a way that minimizes bugs and their effects.

I hope Ford follows a similar pattern to how Tesla rolls out new software updates:

Short Example with made up numbers:

Version 2021.4 -rolled out to just a few cars, Tesla monitors logs and any feedback from owners
Version 2021.4.1 - Rolled out to hundreds more cars, Tesla monitors logs and owner feedback
Version 2021.4.2 - Rolled out to thousands more cars
Version 2021.4.2.1 - Rolled out to fix bugs affecting cars that already have 2021.4, 2021.4.1, or 2021.4.2
Version 2021.4.3 - Rolled out to the entire fleet

A Tesla owner can request a rollback from the Service Center if the latest version introduces an annoying or, worse yet, dangerous bug. These rollbacks are granted rarely for annoyance, quickly for dangerous (I've never had to request this once after 77 updates on my Model 3 and 26 on my Model Y).

Which cars get software first switches via a pattern that assures that each car gets some early releases from time to time.

Obviously, safety related features have much more internal QA testing before even being released to a single car. Tesla does this as I'm sure Ford does too.

This is roughly the pattern companies use to rollout new versions of their websites in the cloud.

If instead Ford pushes updates to all cars at one time, that could be very problematic. Why?
1.They'll risk affecting the entire fleet with unforseen bugs while trying to fix existing ones.
2.They'll try to test every conceivable use case before releasing. this greatly slows down releasing software and not get feedback from users.
26 for the Model Y? it is only like a year old? 1 or 2 a month, I hope Ford can do even half that many.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Got an update today.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Chances of Ford really doing OTA's? 1615934440536

Ford Mustang Mach-E Chances of Ford really doing OTA's? 1615934440536
I'm glad YOU got an update..... but am wondering exactly what was fixed, and what the version number is, or if there is any way at all to tell if MY car had an auto update ?!

I never got Paak to work, so I removed FordPass from my phone, I'm wondering if updates happen WITHOUT FordPass app on phone?