Changing Wheels on my Premium...what tires???

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
So as we need to get winter tires soon (mandatory in Quebec), our plan was to stick with the 19" stock Premium wheels for winter use and get 20" wheels with a little wider tires for summer.

We decided on going with Touren's TR76 wheels with 245 tires, which should give it a better look but now unsure what tires to go with
- Michelin Pilot Sport
- Michelin CrossCLimate (but only to be used in Summer)
- Stick with the Primacy (if they are made in the 245/45R20 size

Want to ensure I keep the 103 load rating at least. Not looking necessarily for a sports tire nor looking for the best range tire available... And I thought choosing the wheel was going to be the toughest!!!!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Changing Wheels on my Premium...what tires??? 1629137283335
Sponsored

Last edited:

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Pilot Sport 4 AS is what I recommend. You'll be fine if you get stuck in some crappy snowy weather that way. You really don't need a summer tire and the Sport 4 AS is still very grippy for an AS. I love mine. I went with 245/50/19 on aftermarket wheels.

OP
OP
OttawaGuy

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Pilot Sport 4 AS is what I recommend. You'll be fine if you get stuck in some crappy snowy weather that way. You really don't need a summer tire and the Sport 4 AS is still very grippy for an AS. I love mine. I went with 245/50/19 on aftermarket wheels.

And price, what does it say? I don't want to spend a fortune either on a tire!!! I mean, nothing cheap of course, safety first but don't want to have to give up an arm to put new boots on the car!

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I second the Pilot Sport 4 A/S. Summer tire levels of wet/dry grip which means superior lateral/longitudinal G capability, ie; handling and braking. Will also get you around in light snow if necessary.

Also, I have no idea why you would consider Michelin CrossClimates only to be used in summer unless your location gets snow that time of year. I didn’t think Quebec did but apologies if you do.

OP
OP
OttawaGuy

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
The CrossClimate option is only because that's what I got recommended by TireRack when talking to them twice. I was a bit confused at first, seems like a great tire... but yes if I'm not going to use it in winter, it sounds weird. Wanted to see what people thought.

I don't mind sacrificing a bit of range for the looks and feel... as well as ride quality, but wouldn't want to loose lots of it either! Finding the right balance is not that easy!

Nav

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium SR AWD
Country flag
The CrossClimate option is only because that's what I got recommended by TireRack
I was about to go with the Cross Climate 2, but Pirelli SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II are on special closeout right now!

Have heard good things about the CrossClimate here, as well as a friend who just went with them on his EV. Too early, but initial impression was... "grippy AF" compared to OEM. Was also suggested to him for his EV by the shop he goes to. Otherwise he was about to go for Conti DWS 06

OP
OP
OttawaGuy

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Well finally, after looking at options and prices (and the need for dedicated winter tires) we've decided to stick with the OEM wheels... I'm not that rich (yet!)

LOL

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Well finally, after looking at options and prices (and the need for dedicated winter tires) we've decided to stick with the OEM wheels... I'm not that rich (yet!)

LOL
Smart move. We’re going to get 245/50-19 Pilot AS4s for the OEM wheels sometime after our 4X is delivered. But, we were able to option ours with the $250 summer tire option when we ordered on 5/21/21, so, we may give those a bit of a chance first.
If they are the same 225/55 width/profile as the Michelin AS OEM tires they’re definitely getting swapped out though. Nobody can tell me for certain what brand/model tire the summer tire option is but it appears they may be Continental Grand touring summer tires.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Get a tire with a rim protector……the OEM michelins do not have one. For winter I went with the Continental Viking. Great rebate on them. Also nice rim edge recess.

B1557963-7790-413E-B99C-F2E53B51A276.jpeg

93808456-7112-49E6-A9FB-F3C9C565ECE5.jpeg

CD22EF3B-54E9-475C-BC7E-CBE139FDA178.jpeg

9D203DC2-D2B3-4A2C-8040-FF1BF9FF6482.jpeg

VaderMachE

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, Mustang Mach E! (Shadow Black)
Occupation
Supervisor
Country flag
I was about to go with the Cross Climate 2, but Pirelli SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II are on special closeout right now!

Have heard good things about the CrossClimate here, as well as a friend who just went with them on his EV. Too early, but initial impression was... "grippy AF" compared to OEM. Was also suggested to him for his EV by the shop he goes to. Otherwise he was about to go for Conti DWS 06
I have the Pirelli tires on my MME. Excellent in dry and wet thus far.?

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Ohh nice! Good to hear that. I also noticed they were highly rated for comfort and low road noise. Tire rack test results report that as well. Hope to be trying these out next week.
The Pirelli Scorpion Verdes have historically suffered from excessively long braking distances, wet or dry. May want to check that out in the Tire Rack Test Results graphs.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Hi,
My model S use 245/45/R19
Will this feet in Mach-e?

Thanks !
Probably not. Check your tires on Tire Rack and check the post in this forum that has all the wheel widths. If yours is the Premium, the wheel width is 7". I don't think that tire size will fit a 7" rim width, but you need to check the actual tire manufacturer width ratings. Tire Rack is a easy way to do that, assuming they carry your tires.
Sponsored