Bonzy23

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mustang Mach E CR1
Country flag
It’s been around +4 to -5 degrees Celsius and my car has been charged daily to 90% and roughly 250 kms of range. Last night the temperature was around -1 and my battery charged to 100% with out me asking it to and giving me approximately 449 kms of range. Not at all upset about this, but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen before in colder temperatures.

Yes I’ve done my research before I bought and yes I know it’s a number on a screen to give a guesstimate. I know what the cold weather does to ev battery compared to summer time. No I don’t ever care what’s on the screen, I just plug, charge, unplug, drive and repeat. If Im driving somewhere where range and charging maybe questionable, then I drive my gas guzzler.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: McS

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It appears that Ford may have learned from 2 years of complaints on this forum and elsewhere, and might have changed their strategy of a conservative guess-o-meter. Since the latest updates my GOM is showing higher range than I would expect. I generally ignore what it says but yesterday I charged to 100% for a long trip in mid 30's temps (thats slightly above freezing for those outside the US) and it displayed 300 miles of range. I got a good laugh out of that. When I got home I achieved about 240 miles of actual range.

@Bonzy23 don't get too excited that the projected range is higher; it does not change how far your car will actually go on a charge in any way.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
It appears that Ford may have learned from 2 years of complaints on this forum and elsewhere, and might have changed their strategy of a conservative guess-o-meter. Since the latest updates my GOM is showing higher range than I would expect. I generally ignore what it says but yesterday I charged to 100% for a long trip in mid 30's temps (thats slightly above freezing for those outside the US) and it displayed 300 miles of range. I got a good laugh out of that. When I got home I achieved about 240 miles of actual range.

@Bonzy23 don't get too excited that the projected range is higher; it does not change how far your car will actually go on a charge in any way.
This.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
It’s been around +4 to -5 degrees Celsius and my car has been charged daily to 90% and roughly 250 kms of range. Last night the temperature was around -1 and my battery charged to 100% with out me asking it to and giving me approximately 449 kms of range. Not at all upset about this, but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen before in colder temperatures.
The new algorithm won't react to real conditions for a while, so watch your usage (actual kilometer per kWh) you are achieving, times the battery size, to know your range IF it matters. That 449 will drop over time.

OP
OP
Bonzy23

Bonzy23

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mustang Mach E CR1
Country flag

To be honest I wasn’t even excited, I was scratching my head if anything thinking something seems funny. Yes you’re definitely right calling it the guess o meter, I went for a 26 km drive and showed I had used about 40 km of range; and No I had no climate control on.

Reactions: McS

OP
OP
Bonzy23

Bonzy23

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mustang Mach E CR1
Country flag
The new algorithm won't react to real conditions for a while, so watch your usage (actual kilometer per kWh) you are achieving, times the battery size, to know your range IF it matters. That 449 will drop over time.
I guess I should have checked to see if my car had an update over night. Yes will be interesting to see what happens over time, not holding my breath.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge gave me summer range in the winter 3768C207-5218-4F6E-A45A-1479BEF45D06

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag
I didn't "give you range", it simply displayed a number on the screen.

That number and what you actually get in the real world are likely very different things, and all Ford did was give in to all the complaints from drivers who like to see "summer EPA range numbers" displayed in the middle of the winter, despite the fact that it's not likely possible.

Funny thing is Ford started out being super honest and even a bit too pessimistic in order to ensure their customer base (ussually new to EV's) got a number on screen that actually reflected what they know YOU COULD ACTUALLY ACHIEVE with energy to spare in reserve so you would not be stranded and would plan your trip accordingly. But this seemed to have backfired because human nature being what it is, people don't like the truth, and what they prefer instead is to be made to feel good, even if it is the result of a lie.

On the other hand Tesla flat out lies and displays the same EPA rating number no matter the weather conditions, and all those who drive Teslas know this, are quiet about this, and ignore that number entirely, whilst everyone else compares Fords REALISTIC NUMBERS to these flat out lies, and behave as though Ford "gives less range in the cold" while Teslas are unaffected by the laws of physics and battery chemistry.

The REALITY is that wether you drive a Ford or a Tesla is completely irrelevant when it comes to these laws of physics, and battery chemistry, and your going to get reduced range in the cold in the REAL WORLD no matter what "they give you" as a number to feel good about your purchase.

Sorry if this comes off as passive aggressive, it's not directed at you personally, but rather my annoyance with consumers who don't do their research, and then pester the manufacturers to no end FOR JUST BEING HONEST, and essentially force them to get in the mud and start lying to everyone to make themselves feel good about what they see on screen even if it is now a completely useless metric in the real world.

That said Ford apparently tweaked the algorithm to be less pessimistic, and it "should" be more accurate as time goes by since the GOM has essentially reset your driving history after the latest update, but I suspect it's still going to near the edge of unattainable numbers just to appease the masses and end all the complaints. But time will tell, since it's still a very new update and we have yet to see how it reflects real world driving conditions and what's really achievable.

OP
OP
Bonzy23

Bonzy23

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 mustang Mach E CR1
Country flag
I didn't "give you range", it simply displayed a number on the screen.

That number and what you actually get in the real world are likely very different things, and all Ford did was give in to all the complaints from drivers who like to see "summer EPA range numbers" displayed in the middle of the winter, despite the fact that it's not likely possible.

Funny thing is Ford started out being super honest and even a bit too pessimistic in order to ensure their customer base (ussually new to EV's) got a number on screen that actually reflected what they know YOU COULD ACTUALLY ACHIEVE with energy to spare in reserve so you would not be stranded and would plan your trip accordingly. But this seemed to have backfired because human nature being what it is, people don't like the truth, and what they prefer instead is to be made to feel good, even if it is the result of a lie.

On the other hand Tesla flat out lies and displays the same EPA rating number no matter the weather conditions, and all those who drive Teslas know this, are quiet about this, and ignore that number entirely, whilst everyone else compares Fords REALISTIC NUMBERS to these flat out lies, and behave as though Ford "gives less range in the cold" while Teslas are unaffected by the laws of physics and battery chemistry.

The REALITY is that wether you drive a Ford or a Tesla is completely irrelevant when it comes to these laws of physics, and battery chemistry, and your going to get reduced range in the cold in the REAL WORLD no matter what "they give you" as a number to feel good about your purchase.

Sorry if this comes off as passive aggressive, it's not directed at you personally, but rather my annoyance with consumers who don't do their research, and then pester the manufacturers to no end FOR JUST BEING HONEST, and essentially force them to get in the mud and start lying to everyone to make themselves feel good about what they see on screen even if it is now a completely useless metric in the real world.
You’re not hurting my feelings. I’ve had this car long enough to know that it’s just a guess as far as range and that many factors play into that range. I just posted the question to see if anyone else has seen this before since it was such a drastic change. I have since noticed that it did an update last night and am seriously not hold my breath that this is a win.

machdady

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GTPE Ice Blue
Country flag
I just got 3.6.2 and wondering if I should reset my driving data to account for the new algo. If I had developed this feature I’d use all that data to give a better on board calculation. And if that wasn’t possible based on data points I’d delete the history on update and inform via release notes.

But this is Ford and so I wonder what this forum thinks. I’m keeping the data as I saw about a 20 mile range increaseright after the update and that seems reasonable. I use the percent more than than the number as a guide so I’ll just keep it as is unless others think resetting is a good idea.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I received 3.6.2 yesterday and it seems like a step backwards. For me the GOM had been pretty accurate for highway driving. That made it slightly pessimistic overall, but highway driving is where range matters to me.

Hopefully it "learns" over time.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I just got 3.6.2 and wondering if I should reset my driving data to account for the new algo. If I had developed this feature I’d use all that data to give a better on board calculation. And if that wasn’t possible based on data points I’d delete the history on update and inform via release notes.

But this is Ford and so I wonder what this forum thinks. I’m keeping the data as I saw about a 20 mile range increaseright after the update and that seems reasonable. I use the percent more than than the number as a guide so I’ll just keep it as is unless others think resetting is a good idea.
It already reset the driving history.

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
It gives more realistic prediction with lower battery percentage, I noticed it around 30% when GOM showed about 50 miles.

Marketing won over engineering in 3.6.2 😞

ChuckA

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 MME Premium AWD ER in Infinite Blue
Occupation
Accountant-Retired
Country flag
I received 3.6.2 at night in the middle of a charging session and my MME charged to 100% instead of the 90% setting.

I assumed I lost my Home settings but everything was still set correctly. My subsequent charging stopped at my 90% setting. Just a hiccup.

My GOM went up to 280 but now is down to where I expect it.
Sponsored