Charge port button required to start scheduled charging?

FordMachEGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium AWDx April 2021 build.
Country flag
This happend to me twice now, and was wondering if anyone else has seen this. I'm scheduled to start charging at 9:00 PM (via Sync/FordPass - not charger, which is a non-smart Grizzl-e). I plug it in prior to 9PM and notice after 9 it's still waiting to charge. I go to car and confirm it's not charging and then push the button in the charge port and it starts immediately. The car should not have been in sleep mode as I drove it a few hours ago. I've had the car for almost 2 years and this is only the second time it failed to start charging on schedule. Has anyone seen this and/or does anyone know why it started charging by simply pushing the charge port button? I thought that button was only to release a DCFC connector.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Never, and yes.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
It sounds like pressing the button is waking up the car. If so, next time it happens, try opening a door (or something else that would wake it up) just to confirm. That doesn’t solve your problem, but it would provide an additional clue.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
That is just bizarre. Like Dave said, try waking up the car a different way.

For some reason, the Mach-E does weird things with Grizzl-E chargers sometimes. I think the Grizzl-Es output the wrong signal levels randomly and that confuses the car.

Last edited:

alexgorod

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Job 2 MME Premium SR AWD (21 CR-V - wife's)
Occupation
DBA
Country flag
Interesting. It happened to me maybe a couple of times that the scheduled charge didn't start, and I went to the car to unplug and plug it back in, which started the charging right away. Next time I will try to press the button instead, but pretty sure that any action that wakes the car will work.

How long does it take for the car to go to the deep sleep mode? A couple of hours?