John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I know through channels that Ford is aware of the issue (and my work), but I do not know if any change has been made to the actual charge port door assembly to mitigate the problem.
As I was filling my gas tank on my RDX (still in line for my MME, but build is about a week out!), I noted that the gas tank door opens the same way that the MME's charge port door does. For kicks, I pressed against it, and the edge of the door EASILY hit the side of the car while open. Noodling it through for a couple of seconds made me think really the only difference here is a fuel tank door is open for a few minutes under relatively controlled conditions (no bouncing basketballs in a gas pump lane usually), but a charge port door could be open for hours or days in a higher traffic garage or driveway, leading to a greater chance of interaction with something unintended. The use case between the two doors is nearly the same, but that one exception makes all the difference. Funny.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Installed the JawsTech part.
The only difficulty is with the top tab. Hard to insert and sticks up a bit, car side. I did not want to shave it down, so I left it as is. The piece of the tab sticking up does not interfere.
It works.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Mine arrived today. Installed it after I finished charging in the garage. Nice exacting fi and should come in quite handy around here. This place does not lack for wind. :)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The only difficulty is with the top tab. Hard to insert and sticks up a bit, car side. I did not want to shave it down, so I left it as is. The piece of the tab sticking up does not interfere.
It works.
Use some water or speed shine or something on the tab sticking up. It's a very tight fit. One or two good sprays on the upper tabs and it'll fit.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
It works.
Yes. Definitely tighter than the one I printed myself, but if you fit one edge of the top tab first it's doable. You should be able to finesse it all the way down/in. Worst case wait for winter and it will press right in. I was able to press mine all the way flush on a not too hot day, a few weeks back, before I posted the JawsTec link. Just be patient and take care with it. Cheers.

markystarky

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 2011 Honda Ridgeline, 2002 Chrysler Conv
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I got mine. It took about 5 minutes to wiggle it into place. I like how when I press the door it now opens part way, and stops sooner than with out it.

Charge door open.png

full open.png

ocr_salty

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E SR RWD, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer
Country flag
Has anyone sent this solution to Ford? It seems like a very cheap and simple factory/dealer fit solution to a serious problem that could ultimately result in a class action lawsuit (if it turns out to be a design flaw).

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
Has anyone sent this solution to Ford? It seems like a very cheap and simple factory/dealer fit solution to a serious problem that could ultimately result in a class action lawsuit (if it turns out to be a design flaw).
The better move for Ford would be to have the door swing upwards instead of sideways.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I got mine. It took about 5 minutes to wiggle it into place. I like how when I press the door it now opens part way, and stops sooner than with out it.
Wow you got dinged a whole lot worse than me. Mine is not noticeable but could be quick. Thanks for sharing I also like the fact that when it pops it is not all the way. Think that will help with my error.
The better move for Ford would be to have the door swing upwards instead of sideways.
I thought that too like a little roof from the elements as it is open for extended periods. I think if it opens at speed by accident and it opens up it may flutter and create damage where it is located right now. Hidden in the rear end may work and open up at the down draft?

Andeh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1926 Chrysler 60, 1929 Austin 7, 1965 Ford Anglia
Country flag
A lawsuit, over a small ding? ? America really is the land of pointless litigation isn't it.

davkd

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Iconic Silver ER RWD
Country flag
So far I've only had 3 people message me about printing one for them. I should be able to print 10 at a time, so don't be shy if you want one.
I would like one if you would consider posting to the UK?

If so just let me know how much.

Thanks

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag

Thanks
I have already checked and shipping from US to UK is more expensive than ordering one from a 3D printing service located in Europe.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag

Thanks
Shapeways has a location in Europe. You could upload the part to them to have it printed in TPU via the SLS process. I would write to them about getting it in black with a vapor polished finish.
I ordered a sample here in the states and it was white and unfinished. Twice as expensive as the JawsTec.com one and 1/4 as nice. JawsTec will ship to you for $50, and for the money you're getting expedited processing (normally it takes 2 weeks for processing).

I bet you'll find that in total the JawsTec price for going that route will be cheaper than Shapeways.
Here is the link again:

https://www.jawstec.com/product/wedge-mme-chargeport-door/

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
This material from i.materialize.com, based in Belgium, might be another possibility for folks in Europe. This is TPU with a shore hardness rating of 88A, so it will be similar to the other TPU's I've sampled. Only difference is it's MJF process not SLS. MJF is also good. You can of course write them if they have TPU powder for their SLS machines.

https://i.materialise.com/en/3d-printing-materials/rubber-like/technical-specifications

They ship world-wide, too. I have not actually ordered a sample, so YMMV.
Sponsored