MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT Grabber Blue; BMW 328i Convertible
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I tried the clamp idea and the top would not still not go in, so I tried to trim it and ruined it. Then like an idiot I (OF COURSE) tried to glue the top part in place. Now i have to figure out how to get the whole thing out and start over with a new one. Ugh - any ideas how to get it out?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
tight fit, but that allows it to work.
Patience required.
You could also try gently warming it to make it more flexible.

SnatrapS99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CA Rt1 RWD DMG named "Tango"
Occupation
I work for SpongeBob.
Country flag
Is the possibility of a dent still an issue? This thread seems to almost a year old since the last comment. I am getting my MME in a month or so and want to know if I should get one of these. Thanks.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Is the possibility of a dent still an issue? This thread seems to almost a year old since the last comment. I am getting my MME in a month or so and want to know if I should get one of these. Thanks.
I'm confused as well, my MME port door doesn't open far enough to touch the body. Did they do an update?

KennyPratt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
Yes, nothing has changed in the car design. It's only an issue when something hits the charge door when it's open (person, soccer ball, etc). There is clearance between the charge door and body panel during normal operation, this piece just gives a little bit more clearance so there's more margin for error in the even something hits the charge door when open (it doesn't 'fix' the problem as much as reduces the likelihood of an incident happening).

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Yes, nothing has changed in the car design. It's only an issue when something hits the charge door when it's open (person, soccer ball, etc). There is clearance between the charge door and body panel during normal operation, this piece just gives a little bit more clearance so there's more margin for error in the even something hits the charge door when open (it doesn't 'fix' the problem as much as reduces the likelihood of an incident happening).
I think older cars, the charge port door could flex a bit more. My GT PE doesn't flex really at all, it would have to take a real strong force to bend it back. I think they did fix it, or at least make it more resilient. Same with the cargo cover in the back. I had to put little rubber bands to hold it in my Premium, but on my GT PE they've tightened it so it stays put.

SnatrapS99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I work for SpongeBob.
Country flag
Thanks. So after the year + that people have been using these, are they a good investment? Have the fit issues been resolved?

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Thanks. So after the year + that people have been using these, are they a good investment? Have the fit issues been resolved?
I have not made any modifications to the design. I think it's possible a couple of people got slightly out of spec parts. The vapor finish actually melts some of the plastic, so I can see how there might be some variability in the results. If you get one and you think it's a bit too tight to wrangle, a pair of sharp scissors or even a box cutter could be used to cut down on the length of the wings so you don't have to push them so far in.

JawsTec has only told me about two people who complained about the fit, so I haven't made it a priority to do any scaling or modifications. The samples I have received from Jawstec are to spec, which means intentionally "press fit" not loose (which is on purpose).

KennyPratt42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Rt 1 AWD
Country flag
I think older cars, the charge port door could flex a bit more. My GT PE doesn't flex really at all, it would have to take a real strong force to bend it back. I think they did fix it, or at least make it more resilient. Same with the cargo cover in the back. I had to put little rubber bands to hold it in my Premium, but on my GT PE they've tightened it so it stays put.
It would make sense if Ford sometime during the model run made an adjustment to the material used to make it more rigid (likely through a supplier). Wouldn't eliminate the chance of damage, but would lower it (which is true of this part too).

SnatrapS99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I work for SpongeBob.
Country flag
I have not made any modifications to the design. I think it's possible a couple of people got slightly out of spec parts. The vapor finish actually melts some of the plastic, so I can see how there might be some variability in the results. If you get one and you think it's a bit too tight to wrangle, a pair of sharp scissors or even a box cutter could be used to cut down on the length of the wings so you don't have to push them so far in.

JawsTec has only told me about two people who complained about the fit, so I haven't made it a priority to do any scaling or modifications. The samples I have received from Jawstec are to spec, which means intentionally "press fit" not loose (which is on purpose).
Right on. Can we get these directly from you? Or only from Jaws?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
It would make sense if Ford sometime during the model run made an adjustment to the material used to make it more rigid (likely through a supplier). Wouldn't eliminate the chance of damage, but would lower it (which is true of this part too).
Going from my May built Premium to this November GT PE, it definitely seems like they've made adjustments along the way. The BEST one is that my turn signal stock is actually smooth! Unlike my Premium, and reported by many other Job 1 cars, that was super rough. So far I've noticed the turn signal stock, cargo cover and charging port door all seem to have been improved.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
The fit issues were related to the nature of the product and where it goes. A very tight fit was required. With that said, a bit of spray quick detailer as a lubricant made installation almost a snap.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Right on. Can we get these directly from you? Or only from Jaws?
Sorry, no. I partnered with JawsTec because I have a day job and can't be messing around shipping out packages. Their SLS process is super high quality and I can't do as well on my equipment anyway. You can also download the part and find someone else to print it for you, but they're not supposed to charge more than time and materials as I made it non-commercial re-use. Jawstec is the only one I've licensed it to and they're charging their normal rate plus a small amount thot goes to me because it's my design.

Happy to partner with another if they ask, but it's also true that I found out months into this that someone had been selling these on Etsy at basically a dollar less than JawsTec and theirs wasn't any better quality than what I can print at home. Had they asked I might not have been so upset about them stealing my part for their commercial gain, when I had already stipulated I made the model available for personal, non-commercial use, WITH attribution.

SnatrapS99

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I work for SpongeBob.
Country flag
Sorry, no. I partnered with JawsTec because I have a day job and can't be messing around shipping out packages. Their SLS process is super high quality and I can't do as well on my equipment anyway. You can also download the part and find someone else to print it for you, but they're not supposed to charge more than time and materials as I made it non-commercial re-use. Jawstec is the only one I've licensed it to and they're charging their normal rate plus a small amount thot goes to me because it's my design.

Happy to partner with another if they ask, but it's also true that I found out months into this that someone had been selling these on Etsy at basically a dollar less than JawsTec and theirs wasn't any better quality than what I can print at home. Had they asked I might not have been so upset about them stealing my part for their commercial gain, when I had already stipulated I made the model available for personal, non-commercial use, WITH attribution.
Sounds like copyright infringement to me!
Sponsored