Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Any thoughts on something a little harder, like 98A? I've never tried flex materials before, but I have a spool of 98A I got for some project that I apparently never did (still sealed).
It will probably work, though it may require wings/tabs that don't go quite so deep into the slots. I went as deep as I could because my TPU is 85A and quite flexible and I needed the deep tabs to keep it secure.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I find the best way to explain TPU to non-3d printing folks is to explain my very first use of it:

printing rubbery feet for the bottom of some electronics :)

For the fractal pony, if I were to print something similar I think I would go with Silk PLA. It can be absolutely gorgeous.

What do you think of using PETG? That is used for outdoor signs and can be shaped by heating without having to worry to much about damaging the structure of the print. PETG will absorb moisture, but I live in a pretty dry environment. Not sure I would use it for some place like Florida.
I tried it with TPE and its still way too rigid.

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Good work

Now need to be a 3d printer! LOL...

I'll be looking at doing something (not 3d printed) when I get mine, I know it's a accident waiting to happen with my wife!!!

pdxzzr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mach-E First Edition
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I'm totally clueless when it comes to 3D printing. Are you saying you couldn't make the piece using the same filament as the pony statues?
IMG_8087.jpeg
if you're asking this to get info on a color match, I understand that the material used to make those is a neutral off-the-shelf color. The pony models were constructed out of the same color material, and then dyed to match.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
Great job on this. I would definitely be interested. We have some 3D printers at work, but if they can't handle it, I'd send it out for fabrication.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I've taken to using a velcro strap on mine in the meantime. The way this thing is, is an accident waiting to happen. Either a stupid person walking by at a public chargiong station, or a kid in the garage passing by, or even stupid me tripping over it. Bad flimsy design.

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Has anyone tried accessing the hinge from inside the fender? I know it would be some work to take the trim out from inside the frunk, but I’d be curious if there was a way to install a pin in the hinge that would prevent the door from opening past a certain point.

Norm in NC

First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm interested in this as well. Would just want to buy one.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think the OP said he was holding out providing more info until he gets the part from the service that's printing it for him to see how it turns out.
I'll be posting the part for download tonight. What I'm holding out on is mentioning any printing service until I've seen samples of their work (and that will take a few weeks). Realistically, most people will prefer the professionally printed version made via the Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) method vs. 3D printing these themselves. The very few people who have a printer that can handle flexible materials will be free to download and print FOR PERSONAL USE. Most others will download and then upload to a service to have it printed.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I've uploaded the video showing installation and usage of the part. It's only a little over 2 minutes long.
Sponsored