Liv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1998 RAV4 Art Car
Occupation
BioCAD Engineer
Country flag
A few weeks back at the #NationalMustangDay event in Detroit, @JWW mentioned an incident with a basketball led to hyper-extension of his MME charge port cover and made a dent just forward of the charge port cover. I immediately set to looking for a preventative solution. Unfortunately, before I could complete my quest, our MME suffered a similar, but less dramatic fate. We don't even know how it happened other than perhaps it was very windy one day when we using a DC fast charger. We're going to need to get the dent fixed, but I wanted to make sure that we had a solution to prevent a re-occurrence, before taking any action.

Fast forward to now. I have developed a 3D model for an insert that adds a small wedge on the inside of the charge port arm to prevent it from opening too far.
Sure you could still body slam it and overcome the wedge, but you'll probably break the cover off before that happens.

I'll post the 3D model later, but for now here are the pics of the finished design. This has to be printed in TPU or similar flexible material with a shore hardness rating of 85A-90A or it can't be finagled into position. Installation has to be done with the charge port cover closed as much as possible, while working the wedge into place, then after that it's pretty easy to insert the upper and lower retaining wings.

Video showing installation + usage:

ECB0172B-36BE-4DF4-B896-4E49965A4199.jpeg
93E3DAE9-8E48-4A44-AC57-75CE1A106D03.jpeg
672F8F13-54D9-4D96-BF05-99D840DA56AD.jpeg
This is awesome, thanks! Can't wait to try print it!
Great idea. But now I'm going to have to find Infinite Blue filament.
I just got some aqua tpu so I'm going to pretend that's a match for Grabber Blue hahah

Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Niro EV
Country flag
Very good, helpful part, i'd also be thankful for the file to print it here in Germany.

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
I've uploaded the video showing installation and usage of the part. It's only a little over 2 minutes long.
Thank you for the vid. I did not initially realize that you were leaving it in there so now the strict choice of material is way more apparent to me. :) Looking forward to seeing the file and getting one printed out here. Where it can sit and wait until October...

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Has anyone tried accessing the hinge from inside the fender? I know it would be some work to take the trim out from inside the frunk, but I’d be curious if there was a way to install a pin in the hinge that would prevent the door from opening past a certain point.
If someone akin to "iFixIt" were to post how to tear it down SAFELY, I'd be keen on going that route to fine-tune this and optimize the solution. In the meantime, what I've done seems to suffice. =D

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
A few weeks back at the #NationalMustangDay event in Detroit, @JWW mentioned an incident with a basketball led to hyper-extension of his MME charge port cover and made a dent just forward of the charge port cover. I immediately set to looking for a preventative solution. Unfortunately, before I could complete my quest, our MME suffered a similar, but less dramatic fate. We don't even know how it happened other than perhaps it was very windy one day when we using a DC fast charger. We're going to need to get the dent fixed, but I wanted to make sure that we had a solution to prevent a re-occurrence, before taking any action.

Fast forward to now. I have developed a 3D model for an insert that adds a small wedge on the inside of the charge port arm to prevent it from opening too far.
Sure you could still body slam it and overcome the wedge, but you'll probably break the cover off before that happens.

I'll post the 3D model later, but for now here are the pics of the finished design. This has to be printed in TPU or similar flexible material with a shore hardness rating of 85A-90A or it can't be finagled into position. Installation has to be done with the charge port cover closed as much as possible, while working the wedge into place, then after that it's pretty easy to insert the upper and lower retaining wings.

Video showing installation + usage:

ECB0172B-36BE-4DF4-B896-4E49965A4199.jpeg
93E3DAE9-8E48-4A44-AC57-75CE1A106D03.jpeg
672F8F13-54D9-4D96-BF05-99D840DA56AD.jpeg
Beautiful creative engineering here!
I love it! You deserve to sell this, though I know you said you didn't have time for that:)

810to310

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Edge Limited, 2018 F-150 Limited, 2021 MME-FE
Country flag
I'm totally clueless when it comes to 3D printing. Are you saying you couldn't make the piece using the same filament as the pony statues?
IMG_8087.jpeg
When did everyone receive their 3D Pony? My FE arrived 3 days after yours...and I still only have the pony with 4 wheels

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
Wanted to add that this is a brilliant! Can't wait for the model file. I don't have a printer myself, but enough friends of my own can direct me to the right third-party or have enough knowlage to print one out for me.

Do be sure to include where to tip you (or charity of your choice).

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
I have about half a spool of red TPU from making respirators last year when N95 masks where in short supply. I'll be happy to print a couple dozen of these in red and throw them in the mail to anyone who needs one once the file is posted.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Do be sure to include where to tip you (or charity of your choice).
I second that. If you don’t want to charge, name a charity. I’ll certainly send them a check.

I hate to think what Ford Parts would charge, though it was their design goof that created the need.