Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 CMax, 2021 Rapid Red Mach-E FE
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My mach e has the same stop. In theory it should work, but the problem is in my opinion the door latch is too flexible and bends with a little pressure. I agree another stop won't work. I wish they would have designed the door to flip up like I have seen on other cars.
Sponsored

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My mach e has the same stop. In theory it should work, but the problem is in my opinion the door latch is too flexible and bends with a little pressure. I agree another stop won't work. I wish they would have designed the door to flip up like I have seen on other cars.
I wonder if Ford actually recognized the problem and that is an unsuccessful attempt at a fix?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
@AEtherScythe, it would be great if you created a form for those interested, so you could begin to get a count, and to notify people when orders are available. I’m definitely interested!
He said he’s not printing them for people. I don’t think anyone needs to ask him to put in any more work than he’s already done. He’ll make the files available and people can send them to a fabrication service if they can’t print themselves. That’s already above and beyond.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
He said he’s not printing them for people. I don’t think anyone needs to ask him to put in any more work than he’s already done. He’ll make the files available and people can send them to a fabrication service if they can’t print themselves. That’s already above and beyond.
Yes, but on the YouTube video, he said he’ll be contacting a 3D printing company that can sell them (since the material is a specific type not common to home 3D printers), and getting samples of their prints in a few weeks. It would just be nice to get a follow up and send a link without having to constantly check this thread.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Yes, but on the YouTube video, he said he’ll be contacting a 3D printing company that can sell them (since the material is a specific type not common to home 3D printers), and getting samples of their prints in a few weeks. It would just be nice to get a follow up and send a link without having to constantly check this thread.
I think the onus should be on the people that want something instead of the person that's doing the favor.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Would it be too much to ask Ford to fix this?
They probably will eventually. Have you ever worked in a big corporation like Ford? Wheels turn slowly.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Leon (@AEtherScythe is my other half) made several more tests & tweaks. When he prints it with NinjaFlex TPU (Shore hardness = 85A) it's easier to install ... but the print isn't Quite as clean. I ordered some PolyMaker PolyFlex (Shore hardness = 95A ... so just a little firmer rubber) and that makes a cleaner print ... but harder to install. So it's a trade-off.

He's working on uploading it as we speak and I'm sure he'll be posting shortly.

I should mention... if you happen to own a 3D printer ... NinjaFlex is VERY hard to print unless you own a 'direct drive' printer (They are getting more and more common on the market.) Some people with bowden-tube style printers are able to print the firmer TPUs (e.g. shore hardness of 95A or harder) with varying degrees of success. But probably not 85A... that stuff is too soft for Bowden-tube printers.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Just a bit of an update on why I haven't yet posted the STL file anywhere. I've had my printer running all day trying to get a better result on the in-built support. So far not great. I'm still having to take a razor knife to separate the in-built support form the part. I can't see that working out too well for folks printing the part at home, even those who can actually print with flexible filaments.
I'll work on it again Tomorrow / Today (Sunday).

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I've posted two versions of the part, one without support so you can send off to a service to have it printed in TPU 85A (or similar) using Selective Laser Sintering technology or if you have a direct drive printer you can try using your slicer's built-in support with that version (V.1.N).
The second version of the part is the one I print on my Lulzbot Taz Pro with in-built support, meaning I do not let my slicer generate support. I had to keep tweaking the inbuilt support version (V.1A.S) to increase the gap between the angled support at the top. A gap of 0.5mm between the in-built support and the actual part wasn't enough, but 0.75mm seems to be a happy medium re: it does work as support and it isn't too difficult to remove. All I had to do was use some side cutters to get a grip on the angled bit and tear it free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847310

Last edited:
OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Mine definitely stops the door early. I can hyperextend it yes, but it takes a decent amount of force. Enough force, that I wouldn't call it a design defect. Maybe minor inconsistencies in production with where that rubber is
I repeat. I have the same detent and yet we have a dent. We definitely did not even bump it. Thinking it was the high-winds when we were at a DC fast charger. :-(((((
That detent is far from adequate.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
@AEtherScythe, it would be great if you created a form for those interested, so you could begin to get a count, and to notify people when orders are available. I’m definitely interested!
I'll update folks on how things go with the two printing services through which I've ordered samples.
You can download the part and upload them to the service of your choice or try to find someone who can print in flexible materials (and your mileage will definitely vary if you go that route).

I have even inquired with one of the printing services to see if they'd like to just formally "host" the part and make it easy for folks to order it. They have a few other parts on their site. Might make it most convenient for people who don't want to mess around with finding a print service and accurately communicating the requirments for exactly which material, which process, and finish.

I'll update in a few weeks when I have those samples.

Meanwhile the part is posted for anyone who wants to give it a go by whatever means suits them.

Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ranger and Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Part is posted. Two versions. One without support so you can send off to a service to have it printed in TPU 85A (or similar) using Selective Laser Sintering technology or if you have a direct drive printer you can try using your slicer's built-in support with that version. The other version is the one I print on my Lulzbot Taz Pro with in-built support, meaning I do not let my slicer generate support. I had to keep tweaking the inbuilt support version (V.1A.S) to increase the gap between the angled support at the top. 0.5mm wasn't enough, but 0.75mm seems to be a happy medium re: it does work as support and it isn't too difficult to remove. All I had to do was use some side cutters to get a grip on the angled bit and tear it free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847310
It would be a stretch to say I understood half of the above but I have the files.

Thanks

AjzRide

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR 2021 MME Premium RWD
Occupation
Eng
Country flag
Thanks for posting the file.

Thankfully I have a direct drive dual extruder, so I can print not only the TPU, but supports in PLA that will peel right off because it won't bond to the TPU.

For those who were hoping I could print one for them, Unfortunately I just pulled out this evening for a 10 day work trip. When i return next week I'll make a run of them. Just send me a PM with your name and address and I will mail them in the order I receive request. Should be shipping around the 17th or 18th as long as I don't have any issues with the print.
Sponsored