Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
It would be a stretch to say I understood half of the above but I have the files.

Thanks
Here you go... Here's a jug of a mostly-clear, somewhat amber liquid. You may not know what it is, but please let me advise you to keep your matches away. ;-)

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yes, but on the YouTube video, he said he’ll be contacting a 3D printing company that can sell them (since the material is a specific type not common to home 3D printers), and getting samples of their prints in a few weeks. It would just be nice to get a follow up and send a link without having to constantly check this thread.
I already said I have a day job and this is not my money maker opportunity. I offer what I did as is. Take advantage to your advantage or not. Up to you.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I already said I have a day job and this is not my money maker opportunity. I offer what I did as is. Take advantage to your advantage or not. Up to you.
As someone with almost zero 3D printing knowledge (and I’m sure many of the forum members are in the same position), I don’t even know where to begin researching for a company that can print something to the exact material specification you mention. I have a day job too, and I’m not asking you to create an site and ordering process and make them yourself. All I was REALLY asking that you update at some point (after you’ve gotten satisfactory samples) saying “hey, THIS is the place you can order them” so that the people —like me—who have no idea what you’re talking about will know a place they can be produced.

And it sounds like you intend to. So thanks, I’m looking forward to it.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Hope to have a few in a couple of days. !!

Valkyrja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GTPE, Star White
Occupation
I hack things
Country flag
Thank you for posting a link to the STL. Looking forward to checking it out. I am going to print a few out in the next week and keep some on hand for any meetups, etc.

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
A few weeks back at the #NationalMustangDay event in Detroit, @JWW mentioned an incident with a basketball led to hyper-extension of his MME charge port cover and made a dent just forward of the charge port cover. I immediately set to looking for a preventative solution. Unfortunately, before I could complete my quest, our MME suffered a similar, but less dramatic fate. We don't even know how it happened other than perhaps it was very windy one day when we using a DC fast charger. We're going to need to get the dent fixed, but I wanted to make sure that we had a solution to prevent a re-occurrence, before taking any action.

Fast forward to now. I have developed a 3D model for an insert that adds a small wedge on the inside of the charge port arm to prevent it from opening too far.
Sure you could still body slam it and overcome the wedge, but you'll probably break the cover off before that happens.

Below are the pics of the finished design. This has to be printed in TPU or similar flexible material with a shore hardness rating of 85A-90A or it can't be finagled into position. Installation has to be done with the charge port cover closed as much as possible, while working the wedge into place, then after that it's pretty easy to insert the upper and lower retaining wings.

I've posted two versions of the part, one without support so you can send off to a service to have it printed in TPU 85A (or similar) using Selective Laser Sintering technology or if you have a direct drive printer you can try using your slicer's built-in support with that version (V.1.N).
The second version of the part is the one I print on my Lulzbot Taz Pro with in-built support, meaning I do not let my slicer generate support. I had to keep tweaking the inbuilt support version (V.1A.S) to increase the gap between the angled support at the top. A gap of 0.5mm between the in-built support and the actual part wasn't enough, but 0.75mm seems to be a happy medium re: it does work as support and it isn't too difficult to remove. All I had to do was use some side cutters to get a grip on the angled bit and tear it free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847310

Video showing installation + usage:

ECB0172B-36BE-4DF4-B896-4E49965A4199.jpeg
93E3DAE9-8E48-4A44-AC57-75CE1A106D03.jpeg
672F8F13-54D9-4D96-BF05-99D840DA56AD.jpeg
Very clever. Nice.
Thanks!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
When did everyone receive their 3D Pony? My FE arrived 3 days after yours...and I still only have the pony with 4 wheels
Mine took about 3 weeks to arrive.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
As someone with almost zero 3D printing knowledge (and I’m sure many of the forum members are in the same position), I don’t even know where to begin researching for a company that can print something to the exact material specification you mention. I have a day job too, and I’m not asking you to create an site and ordering process and make them yourself. All I was REALLY asking that you update at some point (after you’ve gotten satisfactory samples) saying “hey, THIS is the place you can order them” so that the people —like me—who have no idea what you’re talking about will know a place they can be produced.

And it sounds like you intend to. So thanks, I’m looking forward to it.
Yes, I intend to update the thread after I've received the samples, e.g. if the samples are good, I'll post a link and provide instructions for what to specify In the order. Actually, I'm hoping for one better. I approached the one provider about having the part hosted on their site so you just have to push a button. Unfortunately, they've not responded to that inquiry, yet, but I'm still optimistic.

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
A few weeks back at the #NationalMustangDay event in Detroit, @JWW mentioned an incident with a basketball led to hyper-extension of his MME charge port cover and made a dent just forward of the charge port cover. I immediately set to looking for a preventative solution. Unfortunately, before I could complete my quest, our MME suffered a similar, but less dramatic fate. We don't even know how it happened other than perhaps it was very windy one day when we using a DC fast charger. We're going to need to get the dent fixed, but I wanted to make sure that we had a solution to prevent a re-occurrence, before taking any action.

Fast forward to now. I have developed a 3D model for an insert that adds a small wedge on the inside of the charge port arm to prevent it from opening too far.
Sure you could still body slam it and overcome the wedge, but you'll probably break the cover off before that happens.

Below are the pics of the finished design. This has to be printed in TPU or similar flexible material with a shore hardness rating of 85A-90A or it can't be finagled into position. Installation has to be done with the charge port cover closed as much as possible, while working the wedge into place, then after that it's pretty easy to insert the upper and lower retaining wings.

I've posted two versions of the part, one without support so you can send off to a service to have it printed in TPU 85A (or similar) using Selective Laser Sintering technology or if you have a direct drive printer you can try using your slicer's built-in support with that version (V.1.N).
The second version of the part is the one I print on my Lulzbot Taz Pro with in-built support, meaning I do not let my slicer generate support. I had to keep tweaking the inbuilt support version (V.1A.S) to increase the gap between the angled support at the top. A gap of 0.5mm between the in-built support and the actual part wasn't enough, but 0.75mm seems to be a happy medium re: it does work as support and it isn't too difficult to remove. All I had to do was use some side cutters to get a grip on the angled bit and tear it free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847310

Video showing installation + usage:

ECB0172B-36BE-4DF4-B896-4E49965A4199.jpeg
93E3DAE9-8E48-4A44-AC57-75CE1A106D03.jpeg
672F8F13-54D9-4D96-BF05-99D840DA56AD.jpeg
Damn this would’ve been great to see before I got my dent back in late January ? now we need a thread on how to fix the dent if you have one!

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Damn this would’ve been great to see before I got my dent back in late January ? now we need a thread on how to fix the dent if you have one!
There are some fabulous painless dent removal guys out there. I would do a yelp check in your area and find ones with a few hundred 5 star reviews. If you drive there to fix $100.00 or less. If he come to you $125.00 to $150.00

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
You've gone above and beyond to your fellow Mache Forum folks. Thanks a ton.

I'll be looking for a local print shop that understands this stuff (there are a couple that do 3d with TPU) and I'll wait to see how the print services you've mentioned turn out. There's no hurry for me (no car).

sldave84

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Country flag
There are some fabulous painless dent removal guys out there. I would do a yelp check in your area and find ones with a few hundred 5 star reviews. If you drive there to fix $100.00 or less. If he come to you $125.00 to $150.00
Thanks, that is good advice. As of now it’s fine, I honestly had forgotten about it. I thought that being on one of the raised body lines might cause an issue vs a standard dent on a flat section.
Sponsored