John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
I will have some in a couple of days. Will have photos of installation .
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Yes, they're a very good provider and my samples are on the way already. But Shapeways are also double the cost of another provider who I'll mention if things work out with them.
I just wanted to say that you've done a fantastic thing here for the community. Thank you. I don't even have my MME yet and won't for a couple of months, but I'm going to get one for myself when the time comes. Much appreciated.

jsteach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME S/W EB AWD ,2017 Honda accord touring v-6
Occupation
Retired. 40 year automotive/ service
Country flag
Someone open a shop selling them online.
Not worth the trouble and its not mine. Will have a few to test from my 3D print guy in a couple of days.

Last edited:

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
Someone open a shop selling them online.
As far as my expectation, any of these nice people offering to print these are not looking to turn a profit, but merely to recoup costs. And that's fine. The part is posted with a proviso that it's there for non-commercial use.

The most straightforward approach under the non-commercial use provision is that each person downloads the part and uploads it to a print service. Some nice folks have offered to print these, since I don't have the time to do it, and that's great. Hope they're not breaking the rules. :-/

Bear in mind the quality of parts will vary, whether printed from filament on a typical direct drive extruder type 3D printer vs. a Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) process.

My advice is hold out for a SLS version of the part over any extruded filament printed part.
I'm expecting to receive a sample of just such an SLS-printed version of the part in a couple of weeks. If it works out there may even be a "storefront" offered so people can order a very high quality part just by pushing a button and without paying a huge premium like the one site someone already mentioned.

Stay tuned.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The before...

The after...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 4F6E0499-D5D0-4031-92AC-741696AC956B

Here in Southeast Michigan if you need your dent removed, call Jeremy Kraft at Dent Krafters Inc. 313-806-1953

He does GREAT work!!!

Last edited:

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
BTW, Leon slightly modified our part. Just occasionally the thin end of the part would break free from the build plate before the print was finished and result in failed print.

You could turn on 'brim' support (prints what looks like a flap at the bottom of the wall all the way around the part) but that would have to be cut away. So instead he made a slight design modification to design a 'brim' into the part only at the thinnest spot where it was sometimes breaking free from the print bed and it's attached at only three points. This makes it really easy to break/cut away cleanly and now we no longer get failed prints. He hasn't uploaded that change to Thingiverse yet.

I like the idea of printing a few spares and keeping them to give away at meet-ups.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
BTW, Leon slightly modified our part. Just occasionally the thin end of the part would break free from the build plate before the print was finished and result in failed print.
I've uploaded the V.1B.S version of the part, which has an in-built partial brim. I find this version to print more reliably w.r.t. bed adhesion. Essentially it has an added amount of material around the skinny end of the part, which is connected via three small spans. It's faster printing than a brim, does the same job, and is far far easier to clean up.

Check it here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4847310/

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
My samples from Shapeways arrived today. The quality is very good. Way better than I can print via extrusion from TPU filament. These are unfinished, as in the surface is a bit powdery still, but it's unimportant for the purpose.

Shapeways only offers TPU in the natural/white color you see.
The cost was $32.15 plus tax and $9.99 shipping.

That dollar amount is double the cost of the other print service that I am pursuing. More on that later, when I actually receive those samples.

I tried to add the part to my "shop" on the Shapeways site, but they don't yet make TPU an option when doing so. I wrote them about it.
That won't stop you from downloading the V.1.N part from Thingiverse and uploading it yourself to Shapeways.com, but be absolutely certain that you do choose TPU for the material.

Using Shapeways may be an advantage for people in Europe, since Shapeways has a printing location in the Netherlands.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 5E5E42D3-CF78-4F61-AB25-81CAC25D209E

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
The before...

The after...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 5E5E42D3-CF78-4F61-AB25-81CAC25D209E

Here in Southeast Michigan if you need your dent removed, call Jeremy Kraft at Dent Krafters Inc. 313-806-1953

He does GREAT work!!!
Really nice Can’t even see a ripple. Nice that you found a guy who can do the repair so well.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Really nice Can’t even see a ripple. Nice that you found a guy who can do the repair so well.
One of the benefits of living in greater Detroit is there are top-notch guys around who do this kind of work for the auto shows and such.
Jeremy Kraft has been working on MME's for a year by now, having done work for Ford related to MME promotional events. We couldn't be more pleased with his work. Came right to the house, too!

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
One of the benefits of living in greater Detroit is there are top-notch guys around who do this kind of work for the auto shows and such.
Jeremy Kraft has been working on MME's for a year by now, having done work for Ford related to MME promotional events. We couldn't be more pleased with his work. Came right to the house, too!
Hokey-smokes! That's customer service!