HDer

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
InfiniteBlueRt1, 07XterraManual
Country flag
Interesting, just installed mine over the weekend and had the exact same problem with the top wing. Definitely cut differently than the bottom which went in with zero resistance. It didn't seem to be interfering with anything, so I left it as is, but may try to shave it at some point.
Yup. Bottom went in easily. Top was a challenge.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E, Ford Escape Hybrid
Occupation
Sr. IT/Product Architect; Enterprise and Cloud Manageability Engineering
Country flag
the extra material is also causing it to bunch up and the door to not spring open entirely when opening. Although maybe I stretched it when prying it out.
The "extra" material is the 1 mm thickness of the span that goes between the retaining wings and the actual wedge at the business end.
Even if you take a box cutter to the wings it will stick up by that 1 mm because the span is holding it up.

The clearances are just too tight and if the span was less than 1 mm thick it would be too weak and unprintable on most standard printers.

So, it's normal to have to pull the door open. It's better than the alternative.

That said, yours looks like it has a bit of a crease in the span near the wing? That isn't right. Could you take another picture in direct daylight?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Here are pics of the actual JawsTec printed part in my MME. Notice, no crease.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 1DCBBDB4-6CB1-4685-87A0-64F92FBCC770

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution E0E66D14-264F-4E3E-AE9A-E06D1CDAC144

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
Dang I thought it was just me with the Jawstec insert issue. The top tooth was definitely too big or misshapen. I cut off a good 1/4" off the bottom and it fit nice. It also meant that the strap along the door slide did not stretch and hence cause drag or pinching. I havn't had any issues.

I think the tooth doesn't have to go to the bottom of the slot. It would make install easier without stretching.

HDer

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There wasn’t a crease when I got it but it’s developed one after a few openings and closings. You can also see my finger where I press down on the extra connective tissue between the wings.

43A5FF8B-026F-43E5-A5B6-46BD3C0880E6.jpeg

26FB9789-CA75-4F5F-80F6-6410D90F7141.jpeg

3CA43296-0375-4D43-BE8F-85ADC62AD56E.jpeg

F25AB030-31FB-4BAC-8B4A-D8990073621C.jpeg

E9E382B7-3D8A-4C10-B315-9FB594646B6A.jpeg

HDer

First Name
Yi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looking at your pictures and mine, it looks like the connective rib where my index finger is on is just a bit bigger than yours and so it bows outwards into a noticeable arc, whereas yours, while still not entirely flat against the hinge is straight. Probably just an issue with 3D printing tolerances then.

I don't have a 3D printer and certainly don't know all of the vagaries of the processes, but if I were designing a v2, I'd probably cut the wings in half. The plastic is pretty durable so I think even slicing half off the wing height won't compromise the function, and will make insertion easier in general. Plus there will be the benefit where it'll be insertible even if the printer makes it slightly larger than it's supposed to be. Once you make the wings half height, you can probably make the connective tissue just a tad smaller also and get rid of that extra slack, because you won't need it so much for insertion.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Looking at your pictures and mine, it looks like the connective rib where my index finger is on is just a bit bigger than yours and so it bows outwards into a noticeable arc, whereas yours, while still not entirely flat against the hinge is straight. Probably just an issue with 3D printing tolerances then.

I don't have a 3D printer and certainly don't know all of the vagaries of the processes, but if I were designing a v2, I'd probably cut the wings in half. The plastic is pretty durable so I think even slicing half off the wing height won't compromise the function, and will make insertion easier in general. Plus there will be the benefit where it'll be insertible even if the printer makes it slightly larger than it's supposed to be. Once you make the wings half height, you can probably make the connective tissue just a tad smaller also and get rid of that extra slack, because you won't need it so much for insertion.
Yeah, yours looks deformed. I'd ask for a reprint. Yeah, I could make a version that has shorter tabs just for the harder TPU that JawsTec uses. I originally designed this with NinjaTek NinjaFlex TPU 85A, which is way softer and I needed the full depth wings to keep it in place. The JawsTec TPU is supposed to be 86A, but feels more like 95A to me, which is why some folks are finding it a bit tougher to install, but I didn't have the problems folks are describing. I just put one edge of the wing in first then coaxed the rest in.

If I make a version 2, I can adjust the depth, but mainly my interest in a V2 would be to make the wedge at the business end a little bit thicker to further restrict the range of motion. To do that I would have to make a split in the wedge to get past the detent in the charge port surround.

PAMetalhead

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
I think they may have fixed the issue guys?

I just took delivery yesterday. I opened the charge door and it doesn’t open fully now.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 5A91AA2A-0D2E-42BE-9CC5-01EB5CA97588
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 52C31154-9726-4ACC-89CE-CF9E1D1FC455

jaycake

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6 Carbon Mach-E Star White AWD Ext. range
Country flag
Oh no.....now I "HAVE" to upgrade my printer a bit more...the horror...

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I think they may have fixed the issue guys?

I just took delivery yesterday. I opened the charge door and it doesn’t open fully now.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charge Port Cover Dent Prevention – 3D Printed DIY Solution 52C31154-9726-4ACC-89CE-CF9E1D1FC455
Push on it gently... See how little force it takes for the edge to make contact with the fender. Very little force. Good luck though.

PAMetalhead

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Civic
Country flag
Push on it gently... See how little force it takes for the edge to make contact with the fender. Very little force. Good luck though.
Yeah I see what you mean now thinking about it. Looked at my wife’s Highlander and same thing with a gas cap door, but you also have a charger door open longer then a gas one.

Interesting, so does this insert block it from happening?

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
There seems to be variations in the assembly.
I am not able to make the door touch the fender without excessive force. It has to be done deliberately, not just wind or banging the charge cable into it. More like walking into it.

OP
OP
AEtherScythe

AEtherScythe

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
Yeah I see what you mean now thinking about it. Looked at my wife’s Highlander and same thing with a gas cap door, but you also have a charger door open longer then a gas one.

Interesting, so does this insert block it from happening?
The insert helps a little. If I could have made the wedge at the business end a bit thicker it would help more, but the clearances are tight and it's a trade off between thick enough to work vs. being too thick to be installable.

GrisGris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RR ER AWD
Country flag
The insert helps a little. If I could have made the wedge at the business end a bit thicker it would help more, but the clearances are tight and it's a trade off between thick enough to work vs. being too thick to be installable.
Yes, I can't imagine having been able to get that part through had it been any thicker.

Bamboozle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e sr awd
Country flag
This is very nice and thanks for the effort. But I can't support $50 in shipping to Norway. So I stopped my ordering ?
Sponsored