Charge port door connector replacement part?

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Damned if I didn't get distracted and forget to close the charge port door before backing out of my garage this AM. The result was that the little black plastic thing that's attached to the door itself that engages into the port area to hold the door in place while driving broke off. The little piece is actually removable with just a twist, and luckily it just broke off at the door and not inside the port apparatus.

I'm gonna give the dealer a shout tomorrow to see if I can order a new piece. Whaddya think? Will it be available or will I have to order the whole darn door?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Damned if I didn't get distracted and forget to close the charge port door before backing out of my garage this AM. The result was that the little black plastic thing that's attached to the door itself that engages into the port area to hold the door in place while driving broke off. The little piece is actually removable with just a twist, and luckily it just broke off at the door and not inside the port apparatus.

I'm gonna give the dealer a shout tomorrow to see if I can order a new piece. Whaddya think? Will it be available or will I have to order the whole darn door?
Check this out:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/charging-port-door-lock-fell-off.12735/page-2#post-371232

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

You're not the first person to have this issue. BUT - think about what happened. You backed out with a big orange box on the display warning you that the door was open. It's impossible to miss. So, if you were so tuned out that you did miss it, is that telling you something? I'm not telling you it is, just pointing out the reality of the situation.

I had a relative that backed out of her driveway and hit some pipes hanging off a truck. I said "before you drive your car, do you walk around it and look?" She laughed. I laughed back, this was her third "I hit something", one of them was the gas island posts.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
You're not the first person to have this issue. BUT - think about what happened. You backed out with a big orange box on the display warning you that the door was open. It's impossible to miss. So, if you were so tuned out that you did miss it, is that telling you something? I'm not telling you it is, just pointing out the reality of the situation.

I had a relative that backed out of her driveway and hit some pipes hanging off a truck. I said "before you drive your car, do you walk around it and look?" She laughed. I laughed back, this was her third "I hit something", one of them was the gas island posts.
I was in a rush sir and trying to help out two folks with animal welfare needs. On top of that, the distraction was that I needed to move my other vehicle so my sister in law could pull out of my garage when she left, which was going to be after I left. So instead of walking right back past the door after returning the cable to it's cradle, I went around the back to move my other vehicle and THEN got in the MME from the rear instead of from the front. So I just missed it. And for the record, we get big orange boxes for numerous things, some not that important. So I overlooked it. As you might recall, I said I screwed up.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
...You backed out with a big orange box on the display warning you that the door was open. It's impossible to miss.
Impossible to miss, once you clear the other 42 messages that pop up and persist. No key detected (x14), rear seat belt disconnected, door ajar, no key detected, reverse brake assist off, charging port ajar, no key detected, etc etc, ad nauseum ad infinitum, to the continuous soundtrack of warning buzzers and chimes and park assist beeping at the neighbor's dog 100 feet away.

Also, I have to duck down to look under the steering wheel to read the messages, making it even less likely that I'll catch a meaningful warning if there ever is one.

/fortunately, I back out left, so don't get that side close to the door frame...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Impossible to miss, once you clear the other 42 messages that pop up and persist. No key detected (x14), rear seat belt disconnected, door ajar, no key detected, reverse brake assist off, charging port ajar, no key detected, etc etc, ad nauseum ad infinitum, to the continuous soundtrack of warning buzzers and chimes and park assist beeping at the neighbor's dog 100 feet away.

Also, I have to duck down to look under the steering wheel to read the messages, making it even less likely that I'll catch a meaningful warning if there ever is one.

/fortunately, I back out left, so don't get that side close to the door frame...
If you have anywhere near that number of messages, you have problems with your car. My car has none of them. As to ducking down to read your dashboard, if moving the steering wheel doesn't accomplish that, that's a pretty dangerous situation to be in.

machefan2022

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CalRt1
Country flag
If only we could all be as perfect as @RickMachE

If the charge port door didn't bend back and dent your fender you are in luck. It will probably come as a complete unit at the dealer though.

Also it could be worse. I have known someone with a modern car with camera's and sensors to forget to open the garage door before backing out.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
If you have anywhere near that number of messages, you have problems with your car. My car has none of them. As to ducking down to read your dashboard, if moving the steering wheel doesn't accomplish that, that's a pretty dangerous situation to be in.
Top arc of the steering wheel blocks the top corners of the little screen - I can't read the whole message when just sitting. I'm not going to adjust my seat position or steering wheel location in order to read the warnings then reset my seat. I also can't see the speed limit sign without moving my head, or whatever it is that's above the SOC % on the left side. The cross I bear, I suppose.

The warnings come up because 1) I have backup brake assist disabled, triggering that reminder; 2) I have a kid in the back seat who scoots across, tripping the seat sensors 3) I have a kid in the front seat who takes forever to get himself in the car, tripping the "door ajar " warning; 4) PaaK often unlocks the car, but then doesn't read as a key once in the car, tripping the "key not detected" warning. Once everyone is in and I back out of the garage, the proximity sensors are chirping, if a kid is still buckling that warning is going off, and the bong bong of the charge door warning might be buried in there too. Plus, I'm looking out the back window as I back up, so can't see warnings on the dash.

Point being, yes, we should notice if the charge port door is open, but that doesn't always happen, as there are multiple distractions and we're only human. I don't perform a 15-minute preflight check before leaving in the morning, and so have resigned myself to having the door latch on a monthly auto-ship from Amazon.

/ordering frequency exaggerated for effect

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Exactly. And snarky texts are very unlikely to help solve the problem for someone who made a mistake. Thanks for pointing out the myriad of reasons one might miss the warning......

Thank you.

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
likely also dented your fender.

And yes, I've done it too. It's easy to miss when you've got your routine for backing out and that doesn't involve paying attention to the dings/alerts on the dash.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
likely also dented your fender.

And yes, I've done it too. It's easy to miss when you've got your routine for backing out and that doesn't involve paying attention to the dings/alerts on the dash.
I was very lucky to avoid damage to the fender. However the cover did pop off, but didn't appear to have broken the clips that attach it to the actual door mechanism. I'm not going to try to reattach that until I have the actuator tab reinstalled.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So for all those that miss the warnings, here's what I do on my F-150 that is plugged into a Battery Tender. When I open the door of the truck, there's a big piece of card stock with block letters on it. It says UNPLUG TRUCK. I go and unplug the truck, tuck my plug up into the fender, and then remove the sign.

It's impossible to sit on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of card stock that says DOUBLE CHECK THAT CHARGE DOOR IS CLOSED without noticing it. When you remove the sign from the vehicle, walk over to the door and look at it, then put the sign with the charging cable. When you come home, reverse the process.

It seems some have a morning routine that prevents them from doing a situational analysis around the vehicles they drive. If you're too busy to do that, then you might want to watch this story, it might make you find the time. The term is "frontover", and it happens when people don't walk around their vehicles without checking for obstacles. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...gger-are-front-blind-zones-children-rcna52109

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I love it.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
It seems some have a morning routine that prevents them from doing a situational analysis around the vehicles they drive. If you're too busy to do that, then you might want to watch this story, it might make you find the time. The term is "frontover", and it happens when people don't walk around their vehicles without checking for obstacles. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...gger-are-front-blind-zones-children-rcna52109
To be fair, the walk around won't prevent you from missing something that occurs outside the car after you've done the walkaround, which is the situation described here. So, maybe a little off target. I also isn't useful if as part of your walkaround you're unplugging the car, and you forget to do the part of your walkaround that involves closing the port.
Sponsored