dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Anyone else have issues with their Mach-E charge port door being difficult to open/close? I feel like even if I'm pushing in at the right area it's a 50/50 chance whether it'll do anything. Most times I have to push in 5-6 times before it opens or closes. Not sure if that's just me or if other owners are experiencing something similar, and if there's a quick fix. My Lincoln MKZ has a similar function but pushing in works like a charm every time.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Make sure you're pushing directly over the latch.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Yep tried doing that first before posting in here. 😉 Again my Lincoln MKZ (similar door) works perfectly 100% of the time whereas this fails 4 out of 5 times.

jwhamlin244

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium
Country flag
There is definitely inconsistencies with the charge port door.
Some folks think we're idiots and not trying a hundred different places to press trying to find that sweet spot to get it to close consistently.
I've tried on a couple mach-e's and I would say mine falls in the middle of the difficulty range, and my wife's bronco sport has the same latch mechanism and works without fail every time..

It also annoys me that it is springloaded. If the latch fails, or you have a slippery grip, or a car wash unlatches it, the thing will fly open. On other models, when you unlatch it the door props open like our doors do.

I don't see Ford recalling this part because it doesn't really impact safety or functionality, its just incredibly annoying.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Same here, although mostly a problem closing, about 40% of the time.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Anyone else have issues with their Mach-E charge port door being difficult to open/close? I feel like even if I'm pushing in at the right area it's a 50/50 chance whether it'll do anything. Most times I have to push in 5-6 times before it opens or closes. Not sure if that's just me or if other owners are experiencing something similar, and if there's a quick fix. My Lincoln MKZ has a similar function but pushing in works like a charm every time.
Put to fingers directly over the center stem but on the outside if the door. Give it a firm but not hard push. It’ll open or close properly.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
hmm depends on what you mean by "the right area". If I push directly over the latch, it works every time. Same with the small handful (5?) of other MME's I've tried.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the MKZ has the waterproof gasket under the door the way the MME has, does it? This adds some resistance before the latch mechanism engages. If you press in the middle, the door flexes a little which doesn't help.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I shouldn't have to push in any specific area, this type of door has been solved already where it works 100% of the time on other cars.

My Jeep had it and it never once failed to close in the 3 years I owned it.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I shouldn't have to push in any specific area, this type of door has been solved already where it works 100% of the time on other cars.

My Jeep had it and it never once failed to close in the 3 years I owned it.
No waterproof gasket on the jeep, or any ICE car.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
As the old saying goes:
If it moves and it should not, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40.
:rolleyes:
Has anyone tried lubrication? - silicone is probably better than WD-40 in this case.

LaurelBrooke

First Name
LC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E Select AWD, Ram Rebel Quad Cab
Country flag
I found that for closing, pulling back a little bit on the rubber/plastic that covers the stem helps it close reliably every time.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Apparently it’s the same spring mechanism on some BMWs. Like the part number is exactly the same. Seems like it could be an easy fix with a better designed spring

J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Started post on the closing part:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/charge-port-door-not-closing-easily.16526/

Seems like something is amiss, and I do not subscribe to the "Steve Jobs iPhone reception" like response from most as in your holding your hand/fingers wrong or doing it wrong. Its a door, just like the handle less doors of the vehicle, I should be able to pull/push it from anywhere. Should not even have to think about it.