J5hort

First Name
JS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
Same here, and sometimes the gate opens by itself while driving.
Oh,
That's not good. Wonder if that is where the rest of us are headed with use over time.

BTW, make sure you send PM to Ford reps here. They helped me out quite a bit with another issue. I know we tend to bash a bit on the forum, but give credit where credit is due. No machine is perfect, it is really the quality of the help and support that makes a difference.
Sponsored

MomentoX

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GT
Occupation
Sales Director
Country flag
Nobody from Ford ever contacted me as promised. What’s going on?

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium, Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Country flag
Update: I actually just brought it into the dealer (AutoNation Ford Frisco) today. The service advisor was able to order the appropriate part and knew exactly what the issue and part was as he sees it frequently even with fuel doors that have the same component. I'll be bringing my car back into the shop next week hopefully for install since they had to order it. I'm just glad it wasn't a me thing 😅 For others that think they have an issue with theirs, go bring it in to your dealer too!

Last edited:

mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Update: I actually just brought it into the dealer (AutoNation Ford Frisco) today. The service advisor was able to order the appropriate part and knew exactly what the issue and part was as he sees it frequently even with fuel doors that have the same component. I'll be bringing my car back into the shop next week hopefully for install since they had to order it. I'm just glad it wasn't a me thing 😅 For others that think they have an issue with theirs, go bring it in to your dealer too!
Thanks for the update/info. Let us know how it goes after the replacement. If it fixes the issue, may suck it up and waste day or 2 to take a back to the dealer.

MuckyMach-e

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e AWD Extended Range
Country flag
I’ve had a problem opening and closing my charge port door since I took delivery of my Mach-e. Sometimes it would take multiple presses to open or close the door. Today I discovered that if I press much more firmly it will open or close properly every time. Basically I need to press on the door firmly over the spring pin so that the door on that side pushes below the level of the panel surrounding it by about 1/2 an inch. It feels wrong initially but because there is quite a bit of travel in the spring it is fine. I can now open or close the door every time without fail. Just need to show it whose boss 😀

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’ve had a problem opening and closing my charge port door since I took delivery of my Mach-e. Sometimes it would take multiple presses to open or close the door. Today I discovered that if I press much more firmly it will open or close properly every time. Basically I need to press on the door firmly over the spring pin so that the door on that side pushes below the level of the panel surrounding it by about 1/2 an inch. It feels wrong initially but because there is quite a bit of travel in the spring it is fine. I can now open or close the door every time without fail. Just need to show it whose boss 😀
Nice glad that you found a reliable workaround. Mine definitely still isn't consistent with or without firm presses. The Ford service advisor tested it plenty for mine and wasn't able to get it to reliably work either. He also was not surprised at all and said this is actually one of the common issues they see on other Ford vehicles with the same component. I guess they use the same cheap plunger mechanism for gas fuel doors and it happens enough that he's memorized the replacement part name to order 🤷‍♂️

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Which is harder to do on the first try?

A. Close charge port door

B. Close Frunk

C. Open hands free tail gate

D. Lock car pushing the lock on the outside of the door

E. Unlock car with PAAK

F. Sink a basketball from half court

Seems there’s a lot of luck and skill involved.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
In the video it doesn’t look like you are pushing very hard on the door to close it. As mentioned on page 1, there is a rubber seal that, on mine, the door presses against tightly. I push mine pretty hard over the lock mechanism and it closes and opens 99% of the time. As said before, I don’t think this door can be compared to an ICE vehicle because of the seal.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
The fact that people are defending this defective door design is mind-blowing.

Doesn't matter if it has a seal or not, seals on doors are not some new engineering feat that needs to be solved.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Which is harder to do on the first try?

A. Close charge port door

B. Close Frunk

C. Open hands free tail gate

D. Lock car pushing the lock on the outside of the door

E. Unlock car with PAAK

F. Sink a basketball from half court

Seems there’s a lot of luck and skill involved.
Definitely A 😉

In the video it doesn’t look like you are pushing very hard on the door to close it. As mentioned on page 1, there is a rubber seal that, on mine, the door presses against tightly. I push mine pretty hard over the lock mechanism and it closes and opens 99% of the time. As said before, I don’t think this door can be compared to an ICE vehicle because of the seal.
It was a bit hard to see from the camera angle and my poor filming but I was definitely pushing hard. Pushed in as far as it would go to the point where it almost felt like I was denting the metal door cover... It's also probably worth mentioning that the door behavior has gotten worse since I first got it in Feb 2021.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
How often do you guys open your charge doors? Thankfully mine isn’t as annoying as some I’m seeing on here. But just like in high school, I figured out the spot it likes.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
For all those saying it's how I'm closing it, please take a look at this video and let me know if that's what you're doing.

The latch mechanism works like a retractable pen mechanism. It has to rotate after each press to alternate between locked and unlocked states. It appears the mechanism isn't rotating after each press so it needs to be replaced. Door should be fully pushed in until it stops each time to completely actuate the mechanism.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
I've been having problems with my charging door too, but not as bad as the OP. I've tried using two knuckles to close and open it and that works pretty well. Maybe someone can try that and see how that works for you.

OP
OP
dliunatic

dliunatic

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
FINAL UPDATE: Well definitely glad I brought my car into the shop! The techs validated that the retaining button was not holding the door assembly properly, and ended up replacing the whole charging port housing (apparently it all comes together). Now it works perfectly every time that I press it!!

For those that have been having issues despite the feedback around pushing "the right" spot, do yourself a favor and bring it into the shop for the techs to validate. You may be in the same boat as I was!
Sponsored