oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select Dual Motor Standard Range
Country flag
By this point I'm sure most of us who live in freezing climates are very used to the message that pops up on the driver display when the car is powered off, recommending that the vehicle is plugged in while not in use. My question is, will the car still pull some power to warm the battery, even if it is set to "not charge" during a specific time of day with the charge schedule settings?

Here's an example. The car is set to charge between 9:00 PM and 1:00 PM the next day. That means it shouldn't charge between 1:00 PM and 9:00 PM. This is the time that my utility charges peak rates. Will the car still pull enough power to run the HVB heating/cooling system from shore power during the 1:00 PM and 9:00 PM time frame, even though it is set to "not charge?"

I've tried to deduce this by listening to the car and watching the status lights on my charger, but I can't seem to figure it out. The temperature I'm experiencing ranges from 32 degrees F to -15 degrees F.
Sponsored

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
I can tell you that the car will pull power, after being completely charged, for short intervals. Mine did it this morning, running from 10:54:32 to 11:00:02 (my charger prevents charging between 11AM and 7PM), pulling 0.071kWh.

I prevent the charging during peak hours because I don't trust the car to follow them...

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
When it pulled power, had you set the car to not charge during that period? I'm most curious about that.
No.

My car is set to not charge for the same hours as my wall charger. However, IF the car wanted to charge during those hours, it could not because the wall charger won't provide any power.

The vehicle WILL pull power during peak hours if it determines that it cannot reach the desired state of charge a scheduled Departure Time. Therefore, IF you set the hours as you indicated, THEN you set a Departure Time during those hours, you should be able to watch charger, and the charging rings on the car, to see if it's saying "I can't get to X% (because I'm preconditioning), so I'm going to charge even though it's peak hours".

OP
OP
oliverames

oliverames

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Select Dual Motor Standard Range
Country flag
...so I'm going to charge even though it's peak hours".
From monitoring my charger, I've noticed that the charger seems to provide power to the car sometimes at such low power that the blue lights don't turn on.

Since it can decide to charge even though it's peak hours for a departure time, I wonder if it will also pull power during peak hours/don't charge times to run the HVB warmer and keep the system warm at below-freezing temperatures. Therein lies my curiosity.
Sponsored