ChargePoint announced a collaborative agreement with NATSO to install electric chargers at 4000 travel plazas and fuel stops by 2030

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
That story originally came out back in february

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
That story originally came out back in february
That is true. It is something to look for in the future and monitor. Is this network going to fill in the gaps that Electrify America has such zero charging stations in the UP of Michigan or other areas in need? Or will it focus on heavily traveled routes to recoup the investment?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If they max out at 62 kW, that would be highly disappointing. Especially at truck stops and travels plazas (i.e. on the road between cities for road trips). That's more "add a few miles around town" power, not "next leg of a long road trip" power.

At interstate speeds (~70 MPH), the Mach-e (for example) will probably get something in the neighborhood of 2.8-3.0 miles/kWh. A half hour stop on a charger like that would only add 31 kW. That's maybe 90 miles, or barely more than one hour on the road. That's a terrible drive:charge time ratio.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
If they max out at 62 kW, that would be highly disappointing. Especially at truck stops and travels plazas (i.e. on the road between cities for road trips). That's more "add a few miles around town" power, not "next leg of a long road trip" power.
The CPE250 is basically the equivalent of a v2 Tesla Supercharger. It's 62.5kW for an individual stall but if it operates in a paired configuration it is 125 kW for a single stall that is not sharing a cabinet.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
News Coulomb on YouTube has done some pieces on the cpe250. You should check it out. My only gripe with Eric's channel is that he has a 2017 Bolt EV which is fine but it's slow af to DC fast charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just to clarify the terminology.... what the charger provides is kW, not kWh.

kWh is measure of electricity stored in the battery. kW is the flow rate. If a battery accepts 65 kW constantly for a full hour, that means it has added 65 kWh.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Thanks, it's like horsepower and gallons.

It bothers me way more than it should when people who obviously should know better consistently misuse the two terms interchangeably.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks, it's like horsepower and gallons.

It bothers me way more than it should when people who obviously should know better consistently misuse the two terms interchangeably.
It can get a bit in the weeds and be easy to make a typo. But I saw multiple references to it being "kWh" by multiple posters, so I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or typo. Either way, I figured it worth clarifying.
Sponsored