Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Self-Employeed
Country flag
Evening everyone!

New to the group with my Mach-E on order, hopeful for delivery sometime this summer.

I was hoping to get some advice from members who are experienced EV owners, and/or those that have an understanding of chargers and installing them.

Wondering if anyone might have a specific recommendation for a home charging unit? The lists of charger reviews and recommendations is plentiful. But, being a first time EV owner, I'd really like to get some first hand recommendations.

Being in Iowa, winter can get very cold, so wondering if you might have some specific advice for chargers and charging in cold weather?

Do you find Smart Chargers to be valuable or are the extra features just flashy without much necessity?

I am looking for something that I can provide to electricians, to explain the requirements for the Mach-E and home station. If anyone can help direct me? Electrical is not my strong suite, so hopeful to find something that I can provide that answers most of the common questions. Where all I need to do it point at the wall and say put it there, please.

Thank you all for your advice!
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I’m in Ohio, and I got the Grizzl-E from United Chargers. It isn’t fancy. It charges at 40 amps and plugs into a standard NEMA 14-50 outlet. It is rugged if you are parking outside. The best thing was the price $399. They are also making a fancy connected one now called the Alpha. There are threads on here you should read about chargers and charging with a lot of info. Or go watch Tom Miloughney’s State of Charge videos on YouTube. Good luck!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charger & Charging in cold weather 125B9EF6-619F-4B0F-A07C-6C193A4611A2

OP
OP
JGlenn50

JGlenn50

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Self-Employeed
Country flag
I’m in Ohio, and I got the Grizzl-E from United Chargers. It isn’t fancy. It charges at 40 amps and plugs into a standard NEMA 14-50 outlet. It is rugged if you are parking outside. The best thing was the price $399. They are also making a fancy connected one now called the Alpha. There are threads on here you should read about chargers and charging with a lot of info. Or go watch Tom Miloughney’s State of Charge videos on YouTube. Good luck!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charger & Charging in cold weather 125B9EF6-619F-4B0F-A07C-6C193A4611A2

Thank you! I've been trying to find thread here as well. Many times they get off topic and they are tough to pull information from. I'll be sure to take a look at the videos you recommended.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'd recommend the Grizzle or a Clipper Creek one. Can't go wrong with either.

You really don't need a "smart" charger as a lot of the things a smart charger will do the car also does all by itself.

OP
OP
JGlenn50

JGlenn50

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Self-Employeed
Country flag
Follow up question, after watch a video from Tom Miloughney specifically about the Mach-E, as suggested above... thank you again for that.

It seems logical to me to have the outlet installed and start by simply using the provided charging hardware. We are not typically long range travelers, I would say that our daily routine is average, maybe even less than the average daily driver might be.

Other than the inconvenience of needing to load and unload the provided hardware to charge at home and away, is there other reasons that would suggest a home unit would be the best option from the start?

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Follow up question, after watch a video from Tom Miloughney specifically about the Mach-E, as suggested above... thank you again for that.

It seems logical to me to have the outlet installed and start by simply using the provided charging hardware. We are not typically long range travelers, I would say that our daily routine is average, maybe even less than the average daily driver might be.

Other than the inconvenience of needing to load and unload the provided hardware to charge at home and away, is there other reasons that would suggest a home unit would be the best option from the start?
Three things
  1. You don't actually need to plug and unplug the charger unless you're going on a longer trip. Just leave it plugged in until you are going somewhere.
  2. You will need to consider where you install the plug. You want to make sure that the cord is long enough to reach the charging port on the car. If possible, the plug should be as close as possible, so you don't trip over the cord stretched out in the garage.
  3. Don't forget about 30% federal tax credit for installing EV charging infrastructure in your home.

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Battery conditioning uses minimal amounts of energy compared to charging. But I keep my EVs plugged in in colder weather( I have my EVs in a garage, so not critical). My theory is not to use the EV battery for this.
The conditioning is not continual. It is periodic as needed. And you have to listen hard and close ( unless you are a 5 year old male with that excellent hearing [those were the days!]) to even hear it.
Unfortunately not everyone has a garage, but if you do have one, you should consider making a place for your MME in it during the cold and hot of it.
Range (currently) will always be affect by temperature. Cold weather affects range (negatively) more. Electrons prefer to be comfortable. Recall your science lessons about temperature and molecule movement. Warmer, not hot, weather will see longer ranges. My Bolt has ranges of 270+ in summer and around 238 in winter.
Where oh where did all the super conductivity scientists go?
Clipper Creek:
HCS-80, 64 Amp, Level 2 EVSE, 240V, with 25 ft cable
The HCS-80 is one of the latest high quality, high power, low priced charging stations from ClipperC..

$969.00
hardwire ( more for future proofing - truck, VW van, more/longer daily usage than everyday normal, etc.)
or
HCS-50P Plug-in, 40A, L2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 14-50
ClipperCreek now offers the HCS-50P, a plug-in 40 Amp electric vehicle charging station with th..

$659.00

hardwire a bit faster, but the HCS-50P works great.
The charger in the MME should charge faster (than my Bolt with a smaller charger, and the Bolt does fine). Remembering the charger is in the car, the EVSE is just what it says Electric Vehiicle SUPPLY EQUIPMENT

Last edited:

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Here’s my current installation, a Grizzl-E mounted outside in an obviously cold location. ? I opted for the optional cold weather cable. no Mach-E yet so I haven’t plugged anything in, but the cable is nicely flexible in single digit (F) temperatures.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charger & Charging in cold weather 1612450800043

I’m actually going to replace this though as it didn’t pass code inspection in this configuration. An issue with the Nema 14-50 box on the rear, and the Grizzl-E isn’t UL Listed (has a UL field evaluation sticker but that’s not applicable as it wasn’t actually inspected at this location). So I’ll be throwing a Tesla wall connector on there for now with a TeslaTap adapter, while I look into mounting a Chargepoint Flex here instead.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Except for some of the basics. Like telling you how much power you're pulling.
I have one that does that. After the first few weeks you don't even look at it anymore.
Sponsored