John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E X
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
After installing the app in May and getting everything working, I started getting the ‘electrical system drain - service required’ warning. This went on till mid June when the app stopped working (wouldn’t connect to the car) and I also stopped getting credit for off peak charging. I didn’t get the warning at all until the app was updated and started working in mid July. Now I get a daily ‘electrical system drain - service required’ warning again.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Any known solutions? Mine is a 2021 Extended Range RWD, job 1 from what I can tell.

thanks
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Solution is to remove the app. It's killing your 12v because their hijacking your FordPass account and pinging the car nonstop

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
I refused to give the app access to me car, they get your location data with that access too. I have it access to my ChargePoint charger and that was buggy up until July. Since then it’s been working fine though.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I refused to give the app access to me car, they get your location data with that access too. I have it access to my ChargePoint charger and that was buggy up until July. Since then it’s been working fine though.
I'm an MA resident, new MME owner, and beginning to plan a charger installation at my house. From what I understand, this NationalGrid program only supports ChargePoint chargers. I've been on the fence with regard to a smart charger versus a dumb charger (or maybe just the mobile charger). What do you think, is this program a good reason to buy a ChargePoint charger? Do I understand it's like a $50 incentive to sign up, then $20/year and like .03 per off-peak kwh?

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm an MA resident, new MME owner, and beginning to plan a charger installation at my house. From what I understand, this NationalGrid program only supports ChargePoint chargers. I've been on the fence with regard to a smart charger versus a dumb charger (or maybe just the mobile charger). What do you think, is this program a good reason to buy a ChargePoint charger? Do I understand it's like a $50 incentive to sign up, then $20/year and like .03 per off-peak kwh?
This program aside, I would highly recommend the ChargePoint. It a highly rated and well liked charger. It also looks good and has great flexibility.

You can still link your car If you get a different charger and it will work fine. They just get your location data with that, so I avoided it.

So far for our household we are seeing around $25 a month savings in non summer months and $40 a month in the summer. That is with 2 Mach-Es though.

I would definitely say both the ChargePoint and this program are worth it.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
This program aside, I would highly recommend the ChargePoint. It a highly rated and well liked charger. It also looks good and has great flexibility.

You can still link your car If you get a different charger and it will work fine. They just get your location data with that, so I avoided it.

So far for our household we are seeing around $25 a month savings in non summer months and $40 a month in the summer. That is with 2 Mach-Es though.

I would definitely say both the ChargePoint and this program are worth it.
Nice! This is great info, thanks! I think connecting ChargeSmartMA to the MME is going to be a non-starter for me. I don't like the location tracking, and I really don't like the "electrical drain" issues that the OP described here. But you've given me some good reasons to take a close look at ChargePoint. Thanks again!

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice! This is great info, thanks! I think connecting ChargeSmartMA to the MME is going to be a non-starter for me. I don't like the location tracking, and I really don't like the "electrical drain" issues that the OP described here. But you've given me some good reasons to take a close look at ChargePoint. Thanks again!
Happy to help. It was between the JuiceBox 48 and the CP for me when I bought the car. I think I would have been happy with either, but I’m glad I went with the CP. Not that it matters really, but I love the way it looks lol.

Check out the review here, this guy is great!

OP
OP

JohnL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E X
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I agree - if I were getting a charger today I’d go with a ChargePoint for this reason. The amount of savings makes it tough to justify buying if you already have one. I’m working with both Ford and ChargeSmartMA to see if they can come up with a solution. If not I’ll likely turn it off. I’m not too concerned about them knowing my location. I figure that between Google and Apple they have that pretty well nailed down.

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I have both my FordPass and ChargePoint accounts connected to Charge Smart MA. I’ve been having the “Electrical System Drain” notification issue too. How can I disconnect FordPass from Charge Smart? Doesn’t seem to be any way from inside the app.

OP
OP

JohnL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E X
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Hi Steve,
I’d send them an email at [email protected] and explain the situation. They can turn off the account if you want.

John

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi Steve,
I’d send them an email at [email protected] and explain the situation. They can turn off the account if you want.

John
Thanks John. I just did that. Also told them that it would be great if there was a way to log out of the FordPass integration in the app.

OP
OP

JohnL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E X
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Good point. If you could just log in when you are charging off peak at home, it would solve the vast majority of the problem. Let us know what they say!

stevec73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good point. If you could just log in when you are charging off peak at home, it would solve the vast majority of the problem. Let us know what they say!
They didn't say much... Just disconnected my FordPass integration. I have a line to some of their support and exec team members. Happy to pass along issues and feature requests.

jacob802

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER
Country flag
Outside of this constant warning (I get it every morning), is the drain from the pings actually enough to drain the 12v and leave it dead? If it is, that's an issue. If it's just the warning, I can live with that (I have it scheduled to go in to Ford on this issue tomorrow, but after reading this, it seems like it's just ChargeSmartMA), but if it's actually going to kill my battery, that seems like a problem.

OP
OP

JohnL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E X
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Mine hasn’t died yet. Let me know what Ford says / does about the issue. I’ve been thinking of making an appointment for this issue but haven’t gotten to it due to the summertime schedule.
Sponsored