Charging and heat

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
I have 2 MMEs and I live in Bakersfield, California. In the past three weeks it has been between 105 to 118. Prior to this charging on both cars to a max of 100% was 260-280. Now with the heat our max on both cars is 218.

I think the difference is entirely due to high temperatures.
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I have 2 MMEs and I live in Bakersfield, California. In the past three weeks it has been between 105 to 118. Prior to this charging on both cars to a max of 100% was 260-280. Now with the heat our max on both cars is 218.

I think the difference is entirely due to high temperatures.
Mine bounces around a bit too. Anywhere from a 10% to 20% reduction in range. I suspect the high ambient temps are affecting the charge cycles somehow.
I don't know what the temp was here yesterday. They said 115-118 range but not sure we hit that mark. ??

Screenshot_20210711-091901_FordPass.jpg

OP
OP

eastern refugee

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue.....GOT IT!
Occupation
insurance agent
Country flag
When I come home and turn my car off the vents open and I hear a noise. Based on the threads mentioned above the car turns on the A/c pump to cool the batteries down.

I have mine set to 100% because I drive to and from LA about 1-3 times per week. I only charge at home when it is either at 12% or I know that I am traveling to LA. As such I charge maybe once a week. This is the first time that I noticed the change in charge level.

the funny thing is that this car has THE best a/c of any car that I have ever owned. It takes about two blocks at most to cool down inside.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
When I come home and turn my car off the vents open and I hear a noise. Based on the threads mentioned above the car turns on the A/c pump to cool the batteries down.

I have mine set to 100% because I drive to and from LA about 1-3 times per week. I only charge at home when it is either at 12% or I know that I am traveling to LA. As such I charge maybe once a week. This is the first time that I noticed the change in charge level.

the funny thing is that this car has THE best a/c of any car that I have ever owned. It takes about two blocks at most to cool down inside.
I do not miss the late April through almost Haloween Southern Central Valley heat. I liked the area of Fresno we lived in, but boy those temps get old in a hurry. And it's followed up with the infamous Tule fog. Good luck with the heat. Between you and the PHX folks, we should all have a good primer in Hot wx ops by this fall.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Range loss for battery management is real. Losing 10-20% to keep you’re battery cool isn’t great, but it isn’t as bad as the 30-35% some of us lose in the winter to keep our battery warm.
Curious if this 20% loss is reflecting in your miles/kw?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I agree, I’ve had passengers who are not car people at all make similiar comments about the strength of the a/c.

Before I got the Mach- E, I was half expecting it to be some super efficient but not particularly effective unit. Boy did that turn out to be wrong.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I agree, I’ve had passengers who are not car people at all make similiar comments about the strength of the a/c.

Before I got the Mach- E, I was half expecting it to be some super efficient but not particularly effective unit. Boy did that turn out to be wrong.
I test drove a Tesla about this time last year. The A/C was nowhere near as effective as my Focus Electric. I couldn't wait to get back in my car and be comfortable. Ford's A/C system is industry leading for sure. I think they license some of the technology to other manufacturers.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I test drove a Tesla about this time last year. The A/C was nowhere near as effective as my Focus Electric. I couldn't wait to get back in my car and be comfortable. Ford's A/C system is industry leading for sure. I think they license some of the technology to other manufacturers.
Heading up to visit my sister and parents in Idaho next week. I’ve been thinking about renting a MY or M3 through Turo, a couple are available in the area. Will be a bit interesting as it’s been quite toasty there.

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
I do not miss the late April through almost Haloween Southern Central Valley heat. I liked the area of Fresno we lived in, but boy those temps get old in a hurry. And it's followed up with the infamous Tule fog. Good luck with the heat. Between you and the PHX folks, we should all have a good primer in Hot wx ops by this fall.
I'm from the Central Valley too, Tulare to be exact. I never thought I'd miss the HOT dry heat from the Valley until we moved to Okinawa Japan. Summertime in Okinawa was unbearable for me with the ridiculous humidity. Now living back in the states, I miss the beautiful beaches over there and the culture but not the humidity and Typhoons.

Now living in San Diego county, I still travel that way to the valley to visit family but I don't think I can ever get used to living in that heat again. The good thing about traveling to the valley is that all the rest areas have free charging!

I forgot to mention that we stopped to visit family last weekend on our way back from our trip to Monterey. It was so hot that I got a warning on the screen to plug in the car because of the extreme heat. It only happened once and I couldn't take a pic but it was around 110 degrees that day.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'm from the Central Valley too, Tulare to be exact. I never thought I'd miss the HOT dry heat from the Valley until we moved to Okinawa Japan. Summertime in Okinawa was unbearable for me with the ridiculous humidity. Now living back in the states, I miss the beautiful beaches over there and the culture but not the humidity and Typhoons.

Now living in San Diego county, I still travel that way to the valley to visit family but I don't think I can ever get used to living in that heat again. The good thing about traveling to the valley is that all the rest areas have free charging!

I forgot to mention that we stopped to visit family last weekend on our way back from our trip to Monterey. It was so hot that I got a warning on the screen to plug in the car because of the extreme heat. It only happened once and I couldn't take a pic but it was around 110 degrees that day.
We know that message well. I get it every time I park.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag

America’s finest city has some of America’s finest weather, imo.

cdc1671

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E ER/AWD
Occupation
Computer Programmer
Country flag
There are a couple of threads on high-temperature issues. You might want to check with the Phoenix area Mach-e folks.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/extreme-heat-and-evs.7254/

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/warmest-day-so-far-this-summer.6586/
I'm in Phoenix and I've only been getting to about 225 estimated range... as soon as we had thunderstorm come through this weekend and the temps dropped (relatively speaking) it went up to 240+.... looking forward to October and less insane summer temps.
Sponsored