Charging at Tesla Superchargers (Netherlands - Pilot)

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Correct. Not exactly ideal for non-Teslas. I was hoping they'd have a solution to avoid this before rolling it out in Beta but apparently they aren't doing anything, at least currently. It's essentially other EVs icing Teslas.
Would it make things better if the parking spot lines were shifted a bit?
Sponsored

pt19713

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Would it make things better if the parking spot lines were shifted a bit?
For the back-in chargers, unlikely no. The cables are roughly 1 meter too short, so no matter how the lines are structured, based upon where the stalls are no, there's no way to set it up so that both a Tesla and a Mach-E can charge without some sort of conflict with the adjacent stall. I'm trying to think of a configuration for the back in stalls how it could work, but all scenarios come up less than ideal.

Image #1 is how the stalls are set up now with intended Tesla use.

Image #2 is a Mach-E charging, using Stall 1A but taking up the parking space 1B. No Tesla can charge in 1B. The cable is too short if they were to park in 2A's spot. The only other vehicle that can use Stall 1B (while parked in 2A's spot) is another vehicle that has the port on the driver front fender (pull in), or passenger rear fender backed into Stall 2A's spot.

Image #3 shows you how short the cable is even for Tesla vehicles. If you don't back up enough, the cable is too short. This is problematic for lowered Teslas, along with the models with air suspension set on the Low setting. If lowered, the rear valence will scrape the parking stop.

Image #4 shows if the lines were shifted to the left to accommodate the charge ports on the driver front fender. This now causes issues with all Tesla vehicles and would likely be too short to charge a Tesla.

stalls01.jpg

stalls02.jpg

stalls03.jpg

stalls04.jpg

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
When they first announced letting other vehicles supercharge, I was really curious how the cable reach problem would be addressed because of varying port locations on vehicles. Effectively taking up two spots to charge is going to really piss off US Tesla owners. I think they will have to make the CCS cables longer, but that will reduce the max kW. I think they will have to make a dedicated CCS area with EA-style dispensers and long cables to reduce complaints. Just adding a CCS cable to the existing charger won't work at busy superchargers because of the two-space problem. You'd have to wait for two spots next to each other to open up, that could be a long wait. Pretentious Tesla owners will probably come and yell at you and then fiercely complain to Lord Musk on Twitter.

I think people are much more polite in the Netherlands and more focused on the greater good so it might work fine there compared to the USA. ?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
When they first announced letting other vehicles supercharge, I was really curious how the cable reach problem would be addressed because of varying port locations on vehicles. Effectively taking up two spots to charge is going to really piss off US Tesla owners. I think they will have to make the CCS cables longer, but that will reduce the max kW. I think they will have to make a dedicated CCS area with EA-style dispensers and long cables to reduce complaints. Just adding a CCS cable to the existing charger won't work at busy superchargers because of the two-space problem. You'd have to wait for two spots next to each other to open up, that could be a long wait. Pretentious Tesla owners will probably come and yell at you and then fiercely complain to Lord Musk on Twitter.

I think people are much more polite in the Netherlands and more focused on the greater good so it might work fine there compared to the USA. ?
Any vehicle with a rear driver or front passenger port would be fine. I know a few cars have them on both sides in the front. Leafs are just screwed all the way around unless it will reach to the middle of the hood. For all other vehicles with driver front or passenger rear they could just redraw the parking stalls on existing infrastructure. That's still gonna piss off Tesla folks, but I imagine they could start with a low percentage of stalls to start.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Interesting article about Supercharger stall configurations.

https://insideevs.com/news/545500/nontesla-evs-blocks-tesla-superchargers/
Not all EVs work either. The Tesla/CCS1 adapter is a giant firmware mess (not all CCS1 chargers work when a Tesla is plugged in) and it seems CCS2 is no different.

“We guess that there might be some compatibility problems with some EVs, despite the use of the CCS Combo 2 connectors without any adapters.”

We can’t have nice things it seems.
Sponsored