Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I don't think you understand how Teslas charge with Level 2. Every Tesla comes with an adapter for plugging in a standard Level 2 J1772 charging plug. So they can charge at any level 2 charger anywhere. It's only if they want to charge at a Level 3 DCFC station that they would need to do it via a Chademo adapter (assuming there are no Tesla Supercharger stations).
I understand perfectly. The discussion was about Tesla's Destination chargers. There are none here. There are also no Supercharagers. There are exactly 5 50 Kwh CCS/Chademo Dc "fast" chargers on island. J1772 and an adapter won't do a thing for a tesla wanting to charge on the road absent going to a friend's place.
Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I understand perfectly. The discussion was about Tesla's Destination chargers. There are none here. There are also no Supercharagers. There are exactly 5 50 Kwh CCS/Chademo Dc "fast" chargers on island. J1772 and an adapter won't do a thing for a tesla wanting to charge on the road absent going to a friend's place.
There are zero Level 2 J1772 chargers on the island? That's all a Tesla needs to be able to charge on the road. Unless you're purely talking about Level 3 DCFC, but then your comment about going to a friend's place doesn't make any sense. Whatever, I'm not getting a Tesla, and I don't live on an Island, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Just to follow up on this, since the Mach E seems to accommodate up to at least 9.6 if not 11.2 kW charging, I ordered the 50A TeslaTap. It arrived in the mail today. We're planning a road trip next Friday in our Leaf and there is a garage with cheap parking and free charging near our destination (Christkindlmarkt Bethlehem, PA). Since they only have a couple of chargers and one is Tesla, I figured it would double our chances to charge.
Wait, what!? I thought Tesla to non-tesla adaptors were not a thing...so we can get access to the telsa charging network???

so much to learn!

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Wait, what!? I thought Tesla to non-tesla adaptors were not a thing...so we can get access to the telsa charging network???

so much to learn!
NOT the Superchargers. ONLY the Tesla Destination (Level 2) chargers that are sometimes found at hotels, etc.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
NOT the Superchargers. ONLY the Tesla Destination (Level 2) chargers that are sometimes found at hotels, etc.
And for now it's most of the destination chargers. But many of them are owned by Tesla and I think they are beginning to replace them with units that only work with their vehicles.

Not positive on that. But something to be aware of.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
And for now it's most of the destination chargers. But many of them are owned by Tesla and I think they are beginning to replace them with units that only work with their vehicles.

Interesting. Is Tesla paying for the electricity on those units as well as installing them? Or does the destination provide the power? Just curious as to how that works. If Tesla does that it makes those adapters pretty worthless.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Interesting. Is Tesla paying for the electricity on those units as well as installing them? Or does the destination provide the power? Just curious as to how that works. If Tesla does that it makes those adapters pretty worthless.
Details here:

https://electrek.co/2020/08/11/tesl...h-gen-3-wall-connector-enables-paid-charging/

It looks like property owners pay for the electricity but will soon have the option to charge, with Tesla as the charge network provider in that scenario.

Similar to ChargePoint, maybe? Except so far, Tesla walls off non-Teslas from its pay network.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

I've seen in one of Bjorn Nyland video test drive I believe, he came in to an hotel and they add 3 Tesla Destination Chargers from which 2 were said to be for Tesla owners only and the other one was open to all the other brands, so I believe that one add a J1772 EU connector.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Right -- this I do not understand, either. The conversation was moving really quickly... I had a hard time keeping up! He was pretty excited about the higher power charging for Taycans and the like.

I would definitely recommend contacting Dave to get further clarification on the 50A vs 80A.

The owner's manual is completely void of specifications on the built-in AC charger. :(
OK, just got off the phone with Dave at TeslaTap. The 50A is fine, especially for occasional use like I'm intending.

He recommends the 80A, especially if you will be using it regularly and will be plugging your Mach E into a 60-80A Tesla charger. Wiring, etc. are beefier on the 80A unit.

He actually has tested his units at way over their rating and they do fine. He just likes to recommend people make sure they have all they need.

So, assuming the Mach E will top out at 12kW, the 50A is fine as a backup, the 80A would be preferable to be on the safe side.

He also now has a J-1772 charger modified from a Tesla charger that will be an awesome 48A unit for the Mach E. He sells it at $699 with a standard 12' cable, all UL rated. The great part is if you need a longer cable, he will make it custom for you at whatever length you need.

http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=common/home
Sponsored