Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Leaving range guesses aside for now, the video does provide some nice glimpses into some of the FordPass app's features for the Mach E:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Basics: How to Charge Your Mustang Mach-E Video from Ford FordPass_1
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Basics: How to Charge Your Mustang Mach-E Video from Ford FordPass_3
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Basics: How to Charge Your Mustang Mach-E Video from Ford FordPass_4

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
I think I'll buy a 3rd party 40 amp nema 14-50 unit. They seem to be $300-$600 or so.
I bought the JuiceBox 40 for the 14-50 outlet. Getting both installed Friday.

Thevanin

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'09 Ford Focus, '78 Cadillac DeVille
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
That seems like a good way to go. I've started coming up with pros/cons lists for what I want in a charger. I just can't justify the hardwired Ford one compared to getting a 14-50 outlet + 3rd party charger... especially if you can schedule charging from the car regardless of charger.

rickmendes

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium Extended Range Space White
Occupation
Author
Country flag
I bought a Grizzl-E for $419. The last thing we need in our house is another connected device.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I bought a Grizzl-E for $419. The last thing we need in our house is another connected device.
I'm doing the same, though there is a $25 off coupon available when ordering directly from them currently.

I don't need 48A charging currently, and would prefer to be able to quickly swap out the EVSE via a plug.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Protect them against dust, ice, and water.
To expand on this, it's because at-home (or any level 2) charging will only use the J1772 connector, and if you're charging outdoors, you'd be exposing the DC pins to all of the above.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I don't want to read too much into this since it's just a mock up, but I really hope this is true.

If the GT has 83 miles remaining on 27%, then 100% = 307 miles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Basics: How to Charge Your Mustang Mach-E Video from Ford FordPass_4
Doubtful. The range estimate is typically a calculation based on "recent" usage (energy consumption) figures. Only the programmers know the definition of "recent". Might be the current trip, previous x miles or a combination of this plus other criteria.

On my FFE, the range calculation at 100% SOC on Monday morning is about 140 miles. By Tuesday morning the range estimate will be about 110 miles with climate on and 122 with climate off. This is because the Monday morning estimate calculates based on my weekend trips which is mostly city streets at slower speeds. By Tuesday morning the calculation is based on a days worth of highway driving which is less efficient per mile.

Hope this helps.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I think I'll buy a 3rd party 40 amp nema 14-50 unit. They seem to be $300-$600 or so.
I got the Grizzl E for $399. 40 Amp. Lots of discussion on the home charging thread.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
what @hybrid2bev said. Additionally, there is speculation that 1) you'll get member pricing on the networks through FordPasd, and 2) plug-and-charge on EA may only be available through Ford Pass.
So, these charging stations I see around don’t work like gas stations? You have to belong to the charging station network to use their charging stations? Would the analogy be that I would pay a membership fee to Sunoco, then I could fill my car at Sunoco gas stations?

KAustin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride
Country flag
So, these charging stations I see around don’t work like gas stations? You have to belong to the charging station network to use their charging stations? Would the analogy be that I would pay a membership fee to Sunoco, then I could fill my car at Sunoco gas stations?
You don't have to belong, but belonging does give a discount. I think the membership is around $4/mo.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
For some, yes.

Some companies like EVgo and ChargePoint have set pricing for whoever drives up. It may be fairly constant for an area or it may vary from charger to charger depending on pricing models.

Electrify America has two rates, a public rate and a member's rate. Some gas stations have these as well, where use of a loyalty card or the company's charge card provides a discounted rate.

Some companies, mostly for L2 chargers, have "private network" chargers. While you may (or may not) have to pay to use it, the station is provided only for the use of network members such as company employees, residents of a community, etc. These often don't show up on a company's map on their app and may appear as private on an app like PlugShare.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
"Member" is not the same as "membership fee". It may be free to join.

Electrify America has two rates, a public rate and a member's rate. Some gas stations have these as well, where use of a loyalty card or the company's charge card provides a discounted rate.
For EA, there's also the problem that their card reader often doesn't work. But you can still use their mobile app to start the session. (That's what I read on the Internet. Maybe that has since been fixed. I don't own an EV right now.) So the plug is available, but you can't use it if you're not a member. I suppose you don't have to be a paid member, but you still have to register in their app. (Again, I don't have first hand experience.)

EA has real reliability problems. But some of their problem aren't really blockers if you know their quirks.

Some companies, mostly for L2 chargers, have "private network" chargers. While you may (or may not) have to pay to use it, the station is provided only for the use of network members such as company employees, residents of a community, etc. These often don't show up on a company's map on their app and may appear as private on an app like PlugShare.
For those, your membership card may have to be enrolled into the organization in order to start a session on those chargers.
Sponsored