Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Cadillac XT5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have seen the slick pics of the Ford Connected Charging Station that appears to be hardwired to a circuit breaker box somewhere but do we have it in writing from Ford that the thing cannot be plugged in to an outlet? To me, Connected implies hardwired but call me Thomas, I want to see the words. Several EVSEs go both ways and since the Ford one has 'adjustable power levels', I wonder if there will be a plug option.
I would defin
Nice. That one makes it clear the 2-year access to the FordPass Charging Network comes free with network activation and has nothing to do with buying a charger.
It also does NOT say that you will get 2 years of free charging on the FordPass network?
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It also does NOT say that you will get 2 years of free charging on the FordPass network?
Correct. Two years of subscriber access for North American customers. Access ≠ free charging.

Several hours ago, they announced that European customers will receive one year of free charging on the Ionity network.

Correction: The one year of Ionity benefit is for premium membership, not free charging. Premium membership dramatically lowers the charging fees.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I thought the answer to this question was amazing from a tech perspective. Maybe it's just super geo-fencing, but still, the computations and processing power involved in just that calculation alone is more than what powered early space flight.
Actually, it may be much simpler than you are imagining. If you think about our Leaf, it has 3 short-range proximity sensors that do nothing but look for the key fobs. If it detects the fob near either door, you can unlock that door -- but not the other. The same applies to the hatch. If two people arrive at the same time with fobs within detection range of two doors, they independently detect them and allow them in their range of operation.

The only added step for the Mach E seems to be that this is now conveyed to a CPU that say X is at driver door, now customize car to X (OK, that is reaching space flight computing power). If it detects X at passenger door and Y at driver door it customizes to Y. I'll be curious to see if X is at passenger door and an unrecognized entity enters the driver door if it customizes to X. It probably does because X is the only known entity.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I would defin

No, you get 2 years of free access to the network. We're guessing that for EA that includes EA member pricing but we really don't know that yet.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Actually, it may be much simpler than you are imagining. If you think about our Leaf, it has 3 short-range proximity sensors that do nothing but look for the key fobs. If it detects the fob near either door, you can unlock that door -- but not the other. The same applies to the hatch. If two people arrive at the same time with fobs within detection range of two doors, they independently detect them and allow them in their range of operation.

The only added step for the Mach E seems to be that this is now conveyed to a CPU that say X is at driver door, now customize car to X (OK, that is reaching space flight computing power). If it detects X at passenger door and Y at driver door it customizes to Y. I'll be curious to see if X is at passenger door and an unrecognized entity enters the driver door if it customizes to X. It probably does because X is the only known entity.
I thought the same thing. Simple Bluetooth identification as to whose phone is closest to the sensor on the driver's side, or entering from the driver side.

GregM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3, Tahoe, Mustang Mach E Premium (on order)
Occupation
Communications/Marketing
Country flag
Made to code and inspected by the county inspector specifically for EV charging.
Will find out soon though, pretty soon.
Its nominial to go from a 50 amp to 60 amp with associated gauge wire - so why not err on going larger??

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Its nominial to go from a 50 amp to 60 amp with associated gauge wire - so why not err on going larger??
50 Amp I was told 6 gauge wire. 60 Amp I was told 4 gauge. The difference in cost per foot and the actual wire itself was not nominal in my estimation when I compared the two. 4 gauge was more than double the cost for the same amount.

Last edited:

Nikos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Must GT, 21MME AWD, 22 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Country flag
At this point I will leave it alone. Since it is dual circuit with two individual 50 amp circuit breakers. Yes....the gauge of wire used can handle 75 amps. I will be purchasing the Ford 48 amp charging hub assy. I will monitor what would be the draw on the circuit at various stages of charging. Hopefully we all stay in this forum to share our experiences and issues when we take ownership of our Mach Es. We going to have plenty to talk about. Charging will be one of them.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
To use the Ford connected charging station 48amps, what is the minimum circuit it will run safely on? I'm guessing 60 and not 50?
48 amps at the charger means 60 at the breaker. If it is like other chargers than it may be configurable to a lower power level if you only have room for 50 amps at the breaker.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
That seems like a good way to go. I've started coming up with pros/cons lists for what I want in a charger. I just can't justify the hardwired Ford one compared to getting a 14-50 outlet + 3rd party charger... especially if you can schedule charging from the car regardless of charger.
I believe the main things you are giving up is the wifi capability and a bit of charge speed. Since we live in an apartment, I like that the Ford charger allows me to put security on the charger so someone cannot pull in a charge when I am at work.

efisher

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E on order
Country flag
At this point I will leave it alone. Since it is dual circuit with two individual 50 amp circuit breakers. Yes....the gauge of wire used can handle 75 amps. I will be purchasing the Ford 48 amp charging hub assy. I will monitor what would be the draw on the circuit at various stages of charging. Hopefully we all stay in this forum to share our experiences and issues when we take ownership of our Mach Es. We going to have plenty to talk about. Charging will be one of them.
I think I saw somewhere that you should consider the length of the cable run too.

PS20221

First Name
Paula
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Santa Fe, ordered MME premium, x rwd, in carbonized grey
Country flag
No, you get 2 years of free access to the network. We're guessing that for EA that includes EA member pricing but we really don't know that yet.
Correct, and we should know at this point. Other manufacturers are announcing specifics well in advance, meanwhile FEs are only months away from delivery. The lack of transparency seems shady.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
What's the answer? How do other Ford cars that auto apply driver profile (based on two keys) deal with this?
The FFE has 3 receivers placed in the vehicle that can triangulate the location of the key fob. It even knows if the fob is inside or outside the vehicle. The MME likely has similar hardware.
Sponsored