Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
My "240-volt" outlet normally sets around 250 volts. So 48 amp would yield around 12kW.
The actual voltage measured depends on the present loading of that main feeder from the transformer and the distance. At very early morning hours it may go above 250 VAC when no one is using any electrical apliances. My main breaker is on a column that is less than fifty feet from the pedestal transformer (we have buried utilty service), so I get over 250 VAC constantly.
Sponsored

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
My Fusion updates are done with a SD card that I load with the software on my laptop after downloading from the Ford web page. So just choose the day and time (preferibly at night) to apply the updates. It takes less than 30 minutes.
We should ask for a "retro" option for the MME. An external floppy disc drive for updates. ;)

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I recommend planning for your next EVs when you decide to buy a Level 2 EVSE. The next EVs may take higher charger power. You will save money spending more now.
It's hard to know how big batteries will be in 10 years. But I feel pretty good that a 40A charger (like the Grizzl-E I got) should be enough. In 12 hours overnight, it could theoretically deliver about 110 kWh. Overkill now for the MME, where the most I'd ever put in is ~85 kWh (and almost never at that). 50 kWh overnight would be plenty.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OK, so here's a charging question I can't find the answer to in the Ford "literature": what is the maximum charging rate (power) on the J-1772 side of the Mustang Mach E? We know it can at least charge using a 48A L2 (240v) as that's the current draw of the Ford Connected Charging Station. But how high can it go? Is it 10.5 kW as Clipper Creek says? (see below)

The reason I'm asking, is I plan to order a TeslaTap unit that allows you to charge off a Tesla Wall or Destination charger. I don't have one of those but when traveling I can imagine finding myself at locations like hotels with Tesla Destination (L2) chargers but no J-1772 chargers. I have been to a hotel that was set up with only Tesla Destination (L2) chargers.

The TeslaTap comes in 3 current ratings currently, the Original 40A for $180, a 50A for $190 (definitely worth it), and now a 80A for $240. The 50A is definitely a no brainer vs the 40A as we know the Mach E can handle it and it's only 5% more money. As long as I'm at it, it seems like it might be worth maxing out with the 80A (33% more money) but only if the Mach E can take that much charge. If the Mach E maxes out using the 50A, there's no sense buying more.

I'm thinking the answer is buy the 50A, assuming Clipper Creek knows what they are talking about. Clipper Creek now has the various Mach E models in their EVSE selection system. They list for the Mach E:
Acceptance Rate (kW):10.5
If I remember enough of my electricity calculations,
P=IV, so
P=48*240
P=11,520W or 11.5 kW -- close enough

Checking my math by looking at the Clipper Creek 60 unit (60A circuit, 48A charger) shows a power of 11.5 kW, so my math must be about right. Similarly, the TeslaTap 50A unit says it "should be compatible with any vehicle that uses the J-1772 connector and protocols up to 12 KW". So it seems like Mach E owners would want the 50A TeslaTap.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the TeslaTap plugs into your J-1772 and a Tesla charger (not Supercharger) plugs into the other end, allowing you to charge off a Tesla Destination charger, which is usually free and Tesla pays to put in at lots of locations.
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=17
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging Basics: How to Charge Your Mustang Mach-E Video from Ford usb-floppy-drive-p1333-2475_zoom
Just to follow up on this, since the Mach E seems to accommodate up to at least 9.6 if not 11.2 kW charging, I ordered the 50A TeslaTap. It arrived in the mail today. We're planning a road trip next Friday in our Leaf and there is a garage with cheap parking and free charging near our destination (Christkindlmarkt Bethlehem, PA). Since they only have a couple of chargers and one is Tesla, I figured it would double our chances to charge.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Just to follow up on this, since the Mach E seems to accommodate up to at least 9.6 if not 11.2 kW charging, I ordered the 50A TeslaTap. It arrived in the mail today. We're planning a road trip next Friday in our Leaf and there is a garage with cheap parking and free charging near our destination (Christkindlmarkt Bethlehem, PA). Since they only have a couple of chargers and one is Tesla, I figured it would double our chances to charge.
Yeah once my FE is shipped, I'm ordering one as well.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
We don't need no stinking TeslaTap adaptors in Hawaii. No superchargers and none in the works. Match, Set, Game CCS. :p

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Just like internet speed I would guess that it would charge at the minimum rate by all the things connected (your internet speed to a given site will be the speed of the slowest hop between you and the site).

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Just like internet speed I would guess that it would charge at the minimum rate by all the things connected (your internet speed to a given site will be the speed of the slowest hop between you and the site).
The only thing that worries me about that adapter is that I don't think it has any electronics, so you really do need to get a 60A capable one to ensure that there are never problems. If the car let you select the max charge amperage it would be different. With a 50A you're OK as long as you don't run into an 80A destination charger.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
We don't need no stinking TeslaTap adaptors in Hawaii. No superchargers and none in the works. Match, Set, Game CCS. :p
The Tesla Tap doesn’t work with superchargers. It only works with Tesla destination chargers (L2).

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The only thing that worries me about that adapter is that I don't think it has any electronics, so you really do need to get a 60A capable one to ensure that there are never problems. If the car let you select the max charge amperage it would be different. With a 50A you're OK as long as you don't run into an 80A destination charger.
Yes, it has the necessary electronics to communicate with the Tesla chargers.

The 40A would work fine on any Tesla destination or home charger (up to the new 80A ones). However, the maximum output would be slowed. I went with the 50A to maximize charging as it will charge at up to 12kW. There is no need to go for the 80A as e believe the Mach E can’t charge that fast on L2.

The car determines the charging rate, up to the maximum three EVSE can provide.

For details, see
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes, it has the necessary electronics to communicate with the Tesla chargers.

The 40A would work fine on any Tesla destination or home charger (up to the new 80A ones). However, the maximum output would be slowed. I went with the 50A to maximize charging as it will charge at up to 12kW. There is no need to go for the 80A as e believe the Mach E can’t charge that fast on L2.

The car determines the charging rate, up to the maximum three EVSE can provide.

For details, see
http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=8
Hmm, that would be great if that is the case. Do you have confirmation of that? I planned on getting one also for the same reason - lots of hotels have tesla destination chargers. I'm just worried that the car and charger will negotiate to 11.5kw and overheat the adapter.
Sponsored