charging door opening out instead of up

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
The classic gasoline filler cover had diiferent positions in older cars. Some had it behind the rear license plate, and others had it integrated in the left tail fin. I know because I was an employee of a gasoline station in the 1970s and I had to find all the different gasoline filling points for each car. Modern cars have the cover on the rear fender, and, if you have not known it, the tiny gas pump icon in the dashboard near the fuel gage points to the side (left or right) where the filler cover is.

As for the cover themselves, the modern ones always swing out toward the front. So the charge post cover, as a replacement for the gas filler, will do the same on most cars. But most electric vehicles has that charge por on the left front fender near the driver. Only a few (the Nissal Leaf in the front center, and the Tesla in the rear fender) are different.

I expect future electric vehicles to have wireless charging, either overhead or underneath the floor.
One feature I would like to see EVs bring back is the fill (charge) port rear and center, or behind the rear license plate. They disappeared from ICE cars for crash safety, but I don't see a reason they couldn't be used on EVs, aside from being a turn off for folks with bike racks.
Sponsored