Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like that it is in the front
Plus, the "front" position of the charge port is really just 3/4 front. Being on the side 1/4 of the way back, most charging cords should be able to reach it whether one backs in or pulls straight in.
Sponsored

Metal_Horses

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, 2022 Bronco 2D SAS, 1985.5 Mustang SVO
Country flag
With my Fusion Energi, I've positioned my charger on the side wall lined up with the back seat, that way I can easily plug it in whether it's in the garage or in the driveway behind the door. So it being in the driver front fender is perfect

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
With my Fusion Energi, I've positioned my charger on the side wall lined up with the back seat, that way I can easily plug it in whether it's in the garage or in the driveway behind the door. So it being in the driver front fender is perfect
I have my charger(s) right in front of the plug location (for all 3 of the plugins I've owned each of which had the plug in the same driver front quarter panel). With the 25 ft cord on the Bosch charger I can charge in either position in the garage or out on the driveway on one side.

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I've had 3 plug in vehicles. All flip out not up. Its more important to have the plug point up in front of the car though as pulling into a charging spot is easier than backing into one.
I may be wrong but it seems that gasoline filler covers were designed that way because many car owners left the cap opened and as they accelerated, the caps could close by themselves or with the help of the wind. When I filled up cars at the station, I always closed them.

Ciero

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4x Premium Edition, Explorer Sport
Country flag
If you have water on the door, wouldn't opening it upwards encourage that water to drop into the charge area? I'd think for the view being blocked alone, I'd want it to open to the side anyhow.

FPLiptak

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a 2016 Leaf it’s an up.
Yes, but the Leaf has the port in the middle of the front of the vehicle so left or right would be odd. I have had a Ford Fusion Energi and now the Chevrolet Bolt. Both have the port on the left front fender. I don't remember which direction the Energi door opened (I seem to recall that it may have rotated up and to the left) but the door on the Bolt opens to the front and has presented no issues every time I charge it in my garage and the only time I did a "pay for charge" I pulled up to the charging station "nose in" and charged it.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, but the Leaf has the port in the middle of the front of the vehicle so left or right would be odd. I have had a Ford Fusion Energi and now the Chevrolet Bolt. Both have the port on the left front fender. I don't remember which direction the Energi door opened (I seem to recall that it may have rotated up and to the left) but the door on the Bolt opens to the front and has presented no issues every time I charge it in my garage and the only time I did a "pay for charge" I pulled up to the charging station "nose in" and charged it.
Yes, the Leaf also has both a CHAdeMO and a J-1772 under the same door, so that would be a long panel to stick out.

BTW, I do have to bend over to plug it in and see what I'm doing under that door.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't remember which direction the Energi door opened (I seem to recall that it may have rotated up and to the left)
Out and around to the right. I'm fine with it although I have found I sometimes I haven't closed mine all the way, so I get somewhere and it's open. Kind of like walking around with your fly open.

1599605745942.png

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Out and around to the right. I'm fine with it although I have found I sometimes I haven't closed mine all the way, so I get somewhere and it's open. Kind of like walking around with your fly open.
They dropped that door from the Focus Electric when they added DCFC to it (it went to an arrangement similar to the Bolt).

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I have heard of the chargers in the floor. This makes all the sense in the world. I wish they would get on that! No more attaching long hose like lines. Just drive onto the pad and use your phone or your charging key pad to set up the schedule. That would be excellent.
Just keep your small pets and animals out of the flux field. :cool:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag

opennetus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I may be wrong but it seems that gasoline filler covers were designed that way because many car owners left the cap opened and as they accelerated, the caps could close by themselves or with the help of the wind. When I filled up cars at the station, I always closed them.
Good point. Also, having it open to the side like that means, if you do forget to close it and the flap hits something while you are driving, it will just be pushed closed instead of breaking off or seriously scratching what it hit.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Best part about the charging door: Horsepower!
Ford Mustang Mach-E charging door opening out instead of up horsepower
Sponsored