Wyostang

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
New to BEV's and I'm curious about charging etiquette. I expect to charge at home 95% of the the time but also have regular meetings located about 125 miles away, so round trip of about 250 miles. The location has 2 charging stations and I've never seen a car charging there. Is it ok to park in that spot for the 4 or 5 hours while I'm in my meeting or do I need to plan on leaving that spot open and then plug in after my meeting and sit and wait for the charge? If that is case I would probably just drive my ICE since the last thing I want to do after a 5 hour meeting is sit in the parking lot waiting for a charge. Also, it's a secure building so you can't go in and out so I couldn't move the car during a break.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
New to BEV's and I'm curious about charging etiquette. I expect to charge at home 95% of the the time but also have regular meetings located about 125 miles away, so round trip of about 250 miles. The location has 2 charging stations and I've never seen a car charging there. Is it ok to park in that spot for the 4 or 5 hours while I'm in my meeting or do I need to plan on leaving that spot open and then plug in after my meeting and sit and wait for the charge? If that is case I would probably just drive my ICE since the last thing I want to do after a 5 hour meeting is sit in the parking lot waiting for a charge. Also, it's a secure building so you can't go in and out so I couldn't move the car during a break.
A lot of public chargers have a time limit on charging. When I worked at a utility company, their chargers were setup so that it it was $.03 per kWh for the first 3 hours and $3.00 per hour after that. At any rate charging spots are not parking spots, and you should not occupy them, when not charging.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I would move my car to another spot on a break. You can leave a note that it's OK to unplug. As you said, nobody uses them so I don't think it will be a problem.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Depends on the charger.

If its a fast charger (DCFC) you'll want to move it quick.

If its a Level-2 don't bother. People leave EVs plugged in them for hours. (Our airport parking deck has Level-2's and cars sit there for a whole week.)

If you're concerned leave a note with either "its ok to unplug me" or "call me at xxxxx and I'll move it".

Blinkin

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
16 FoST
Country flag
I'd say as long as you're actively plugged in, you're fine to use that spot. If your Ford Pass app says the car is fully charged, the polite thing would be to move the car when you can (but you don't have to walk out on people).

You can use the website Plugshare to leave comments on a particular charger--that will inform any other users of that site how long you need (people will often leave comments like "feel free to unplug me at 3pm or later," etc.). Or just write a note on a white board.

The only REALLY rude thing is to be parked in a charger spot in an ICE vehicle or otherwise taking the spot without charging. The resource is there to be used, but don't block others from using it if you're not.

OP
OP
Wyostang

Wyostang

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Thanks to everyone for the replies. Helpful for this newbie. Counting down the days to an estimated delivery date of February 6.

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
I'm so glad you asked this!

I was wondering the same thing, the John Lewis has charging stations in the carpark so do I plug in and then do the hour plus shop? or do you have to be present with the car??

further - whats the risk of people tampering with plugs whilst you are at the shops!?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
It is never appropriate to remain in an EV parking spot if not currently charging. That is why many networks charge idle fees to remain plugged in once charging completes - the infrastructure is extremely expensive, and it's not OK to have people blocking that investment from drivers who need it.

It's also illegal in an increasing number of jurisdictions to be parked at a charger and not plugged in.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm so glad you asked this!

I was wondering the same thing, the John Lewis has charging stations in the carpark so do I plug in and then do the hour plus shop? or do you have to be present with the car??

further - whats the risk of people tampering with plugs whilst you are at the shops!?
It is really really rare that people touch the plug.

Its new technology and many people don't "get it" so they stay away.

The worst they could do is unplug you (which, yeah, would be pretty bad if you needed the charge).

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
You shouldn't have to stay with the car, while it's charging. You should move it once you've done charging.

TheSeg

First Name
Seg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
seg.fyi
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium EB-RWD (Built: Feb 2021)
Country flag
I'm sure this will evolve once I get my Mach-E and go about in the world, but my initial approach is based on the type of charging station, followed by the context of the parking/charger.

Level 3 (DC) Stations:
Everyone is entitled to the fill-up they need. No need to be physically present while charging (get yourself a meal and take a walk). Once you're charged up, GTFO of the charging spot. If you're not ready to leave the location, at least re-park.

I consider DC stations as always fill-up stations for long trips. Which is why I'm glad to see charges after a grace period of completed charge.

Level 2 Stations:
This has a lot more nuance for me as it depends on the context of the charger and parking station. In all of these situations, no need to be physically present at your car at all times.

Theme Park / Resort parking: All-day charging.
No one should go back and forth from their parking spot to re-park. Not enough chargers can only be solved with more charging stations.

As a side note: I'd be OK if there was a surcharge for EV parking with all charging costs included. One point of sale reduces costs of two point of sale locations. Not to mention quantifying the use of EV stations. When coded like a "premium" product, you have the choice: Regular parking when you don't need a charge, add on EV parking when you do.

Workplace Parking
If I still had an office to go to (working remote permanently), I don't know if I'd use a charger during the day as I have a charger at home. If I need a charge, I would move my car when I had enough as a built-in work break. But if other coworkers didn't have a home charger, then they'd need it more than I did.

Normal Local Travel
I don't expect to be constantly plugging in when I travel around places. Since I have a home Level 2, it's only when I'm traveling a bit farther out and worry about getting back. That said, I do think charging for running an arron or going to an appointment isn't a bad thing. What I would hope is that people aren't in a position to always and only park at level 2 stations when they will be fine without a charge.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Actually a 5 hr charge would be fine.

Most office chargers are going to be Level 2 chargers. While these are 240 volt, they are rarely 48 amp chargers (the max the car would use) ... I find most are 30 amp or less.

30 x 240 = 7.2 kilowatts per hour

I'm looking at my AWD model and it is rated at .37 kW per mile.

At that rate, a 125 mile trip would be 46.25 kW.

To replenish that (assuming a 30 amp charger giving 7.2 kW/hr) would be 46.25 ÷ 7.2 = 6.4 hours.

In other words, your car wont have had enough time to replenish the 125 mile trip *but* you will have more than enough charge to make it all the way back home.

You wont have to worry about getting up and moving the car during a break because it will still be charging at the end of your 5 hour meeting.

I have seen some of these L2 chargers with substantially lower amperage (e.g. 16 amps) ... and if that's what they have, then you wouldn't get that much of a charge, but since you're only using roughly half of the car's range, a 5 hour charge should still give you enough power to make it home.

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
Its not for meant for parking, its only there for charging.
When your EV has charged to the percentage you wish, you leave (or move your car to a non charging spot and free the charger for others to use).
How do you know? For example, the airport has charging spots in long term parking. They're obviously not meant for short term parking. I assume that similar spots in shopping malls are similarly meant for parking (bonus charging), and not "this is a charging cluster." If the charging area doesn't have a clear delineation, then in my mind, it's a parking spot, and charging is a perquisite.

We should by no means feel entitled just because we have electric cars. On the contrary, we're generally privileged, and shouldn't expect royal treatment.
Sponsored