Charging FAIL & GREAT Surprise When We Compare The Model Y & Mach-E On The World’s Toughest EV Test!

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I couldn't find the article that is referenced in this video. This was my second choice.
This may help some of you new to EV's understand a cold-soaked battery and slow charging. It shouldn't be a problem after a couple of hours of freeway driving.
Hopefully we can get some clarification after more Mach-Es are road tripped whether the car heats the battery up in advance of DCFC in the cold. It's got a battery heater, it knows where chargers are (unlike the Bolt which has no nav at all), it seems logical it should use that battery heater when it knows you're headed to charge.
Sponsored

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
This is a pretty good (and funny) video by Bjorn about cold weather road tripping and charging. Because the car did not preheat the battery, you can see what it did to his charging speeds. They went in the tank (pun intended). This is with a VW ID3.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
This is a pretty good (and funny) video by Bjorn about cold weather road tripping and charging. Because the car did not preheat the battery, you can see what it did to his charging speeds. They went in the tank (pun intended). This is with a VW ID3.
"Coldgate" is a thing. What's especially frustrating is that in many states, at a per-minute charging rate, the battery's temperature directly impacts the cost of the charge session. Without preconditioning the batteries, the car is essentially pulling more money out of our wallets in those states. I wish we had a "battery heat" button if they won't give us an automatic precondition on a cold weather road trip.
Sponsored