Charging FAIL & GREAT Surprise When We Compare The Model Y & Mach-E On The World’s Toughest EV Test!

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
TFL puts the Mach E standard range up against the Tesla Model Y Performance.

Not an super-equal competition but honestly...the biggest loser in this video is Electrify America.

Sponsored

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I really wonder why Ford gave them a SR version. Maybe it was just a matter of logistics, but they must have known that TFL would be doing range tests, so you would think they would have wanted to put their best foot forward.

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I really wonder why Ford gave them a SR version. Maybe it was just a matter of logistics, but they must have known that TFL would be doing range tests, so you would think they would have wanted to put their best foot forward.
Agreed...I have been watching their videos this whole time thinking, "but they could have had the faster, better one!"

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
TFL puts the Mach E standard range up against the Tesla Model Y Performance.

Not an super-equal competition but honestly...the biggest loser in this video is Electrify America.
Appeared very unscientific and pre biased. Bottom line was both made it?

The highly informative 8 minute charging test ;) . It does appear to be a possible handshake issue between the ford and EA chargers right now. Speed bump for now and will get ironed out. I want to see the above 80% charging as that is not a compatibility issue but hard coded. I do not think Ford would release a product that means so much with a major hardware problem. Time will tell.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Have we gotten firm word on whether Mach-E preconditions the battery en route to DC Fast Chargers? It looks pretty cold in that video, I wonder if the Mach-E could have improved its performance by warming itself up en route...

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Car Reviewer (of sorts haha!)
Country flag
Appeared very unscientific and pre biased. Bottom line was both made it?

The highly informative 8 minute charging test ;) . It does appear to be a possible handshake issue between the ford and EA chargers right now. Speed bump for now and will get ironed out. I want to see the above 80% charging as that is not a compatibility issue but hard coded. I do not think Ford would release a product that means so much with a major hardware problem. Time will tell.
Thanks for watching! I did try an 80% Charge (or there about). It was at an EVgo, the station wouldn't tell me the kW it was delivering but over the course of a 15-20 minute shopping run the car gained about 3%.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
I was hoping for a more exact summary of miles per kWh
I initially had proposed bringing them back to the office to see the exact kWh delivered using our level 2 charger, but we decided to test out the EA plug and charge instead. However if we do some simple math:

The Mustang has a 68kWh usable capacity and used 70% over the test: That equates to about 47.6kWh used in the 143 mile test.

The Model Y has about a 72.5 kWh usable capacity (according to the folks I've talked to) and used 56% over the test. That equates to about 40.6kWh used in the 143 mile test.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Thanks for watching! I did try an 80% Charge (or there about). It was at an EVgo, the station wouldn't tell me the kW it was delivering but over the course of a 15-20 minute shopping run the car gained about 3%.
The Europeans are getting a 150 KW peak and a steady 90 KW up to 80% then it drops to level 2 11 KW range. Not sure what the 15 to 20 minute shopping run says about EVgo?

Tremor38

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E First Edition Rapid Red
Country flag
Great video but disappointed they didn’t compare a non performance model y with a premium awd er.
I think it would have been a bit closer on the battery percentage ranges. I have to say I really like the real range accuracy of the Mach e. It was much more accurate than the Y was

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Welcome Tommy! I've been enjoying your videos.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The Europeans are getting a 150 KW peak and a steady 90 KW up to 80% then it drops to level 2 11 KW range. Not sure what the 15 to 20 minute shopping run says about EVgo?
Interesting. The highest I saw during the week over 4 charging sessions was mid 40kW.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have to say I really like the real range accuracy of the Mach e. It was much more accurate than the Y was
Yeah, it's clear that the GOM in the MME is far more conservative than the rating-based range indicator in the Tesla. At least that means that if the MME says we can make it somewhere, we probably can.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting. The highest I saw during the week over 4 charging sessions was mid 40kW.
The standard battery version of the MME actually has a max charging rate of 115kW, not that you were getting anywhere near that anyway. The extended range battery is rated for 150kW.
Sponsored