Charging FAIL & GREAT Surprise When We Compare The Model Y & Mach-E On The World’s Toughest EV Test!

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
So my question for TFLtommy is in the series of videos since you got the Mustang Mach E, you seem to be preferring the Mach E with your dad preferring the Tesla. How much of that is real vs. role playing? I am not saying role playing is bad or anything. I think it makes for a better video if you both preferred one or the other to have one be devil's advocate for the other.
Sponsored

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Yeah, it just takes some time for them to both stop saying it is your part until one finally eats crow and say you're right, it is my part. When there used to be Microsoft and Intel Help, Microsoft would tell me it was a hardware issue and Intel would tell me it was a software issue. Finally I learned to turn if off and then turn it on again.
When in doubt reboot. It's hard to fix hardware with software.

bullshark

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E select AWD
Country flag
I will say after a week of driving it I would strongly encourage that you consider a Standard range car. When I drive I try and keep a little book where I record the distance driven every day. I personally average 30 to 40 miles in a day. If you have a place to charge at home, the range even on the SR AWD is more than enough. I'd personally save the change and go for a Standard range for every day driving as 200 miles + on a charge seems realistic from my experience. For road trips where the ER would have the advantage, well, um, let's just say I'm not sure the charging network is quite flushed out for the majority of folks. So save the dough!!!
Hi Tommy, quick question, how's the drive/ride quality MME compare to model Y? Doug said MME handles better, some others said MME is less sporty compare to Y, I test drive the Y before, and it handles pretty good from my perspective.

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Car Reviewer (of sorts haha!)
Country flag
So my question for TFLtommy is in the series of videos since you got the Mustang Mach E, you seem to be preferring the Mach E with your dad preferring the Tesla. How much of that is real vs. role playing? I am not saying role playing is bad or anything. I think it makes for a better video if you both preferred one or the other to have one be devil's advocate for the other.
No it's totally genuine! There are parts I like about both. I think the mach E is better made and doesn't look like a shoe. I think the interior is nicer in the Mach E, I also LOVE the seats (they're so good!!). I also was very impressed with the range overall.

Negatives: I've been frustrated with the DC fast charging both in terms of rate and initialization. I had many issues with the Sync system, and it is a little on the porky side (not that the Tesla is much lighter)

I think many will be stoked about the new Mustang. They did a really nice job with it, it's just so hard to compete with the musketeers out in Silicon Valley. At least the doors and trunk fit better ;)

TFLtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Car Reviewer (of sorts haha!)
Country flag
Hi Tommy, quick question, how's the drive/ride quality MME compare to model Y? Doug said MME handles better, some others said MME is less sporty compare to Y, I test drive the Y before, and it handles pretty good from my perspective.
Yeah I think the Ford steering is a little slow and the it doesn't do as well of a job hiding its weight overall. It isn't as much fun on a twisty road but then again it is a MUCH better highway cruiser and an overall more comfortable commuter.

mikenindorf

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e
Country flag
as i live in south Metro Denver, this is a very helpful test. my mach e, EX4, is supposed to be here soon...
question. At the charging station...On the mach-e, if you started with a full charge, did that loop, and charged to full, what would it have cost?

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
@TFLtommy love your series and love Blaze (my dog is horrible off lead)

Question I have is, do you envisage Ford provided Over the Air updates as they gain more data to improve range and performance like Tesla did in the early years?

Benefit for manufacturers to incrementally release new drops is it keeps their cars more current without the cost of mid-life facelifts. I wouldn't be surprised if this is Fords strategy as the stats from the battery suggests that performance could be better so maybe they are holding something back .

Any inside word or rumours from Ford?

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
Yeah I think the Ford steering is a little slow and the it doesn't do as well of a job hiding its weight overall. It isn't as much fun on a twisty road but then again it is a MUCH better highway cruiser and an overall more comfortable commuter.
What's interesting about your comment on the steering, is that at engineering explained he had quite the opposite feel for it. you can see where he compares both and mentions the steering was actually quite responsive. So again it might be due to different models at different times he talks about it at 10:45 mark

Ford Mustang Mach-E vs Tesla Model 3, Model Y - Tesla's Still King - YouTube

Nick Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E RWD SR
Country flag
What's interesting about your comment on the steering, is that at engineering explained he had quite the opposite feel for it. you can see where he compares both and mentions the steering was actually quite responsive. So again it might be due to different models at different times he talks about it at 10:45 mark

Ford Mustang Mach-E vs Tesla Model 3, Model Y - Tesla's Still King - YouTube
the standard tyres are quite narrow , 225's add the fact they weren't snow rated and it wouldn't make for the most enthralling drive - a set of good rubber hopefully helps fix this

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
No it's totally genuine! There are parts I like about both. I think the mach E is better made and doesn't look like a shoe. I think the interior is nicer in the Mach E, I also LOVE the seats (they're so good!!). I also was very impressed with the range overall.

Negatives: I've been frustrated with the DC fast charging both in terms of rate and initialization. I had many issues with the Sync system, and it is a little on the porky side (not that the Tesla is much lighter)

I think many will be stoked about the new Mustang. They did a really nice job with it, it's just so hard to compete with the musketeers out in Silicon Valley. At least the doors and trunk fit better ;)
Good job on the video. Hard to compare the vehicle with the model ford gave you. Also testing a pre-production car vs model y that has had plenty of updates. Nothing you two could do about it have to test what you have.
Once the mache is out to the masses, then hopefully can get apples to apple test.

The DC fast charging is the Achilles heel right now for all other models vs tesla. How many years to catch up is the question.

OP
OP
Stang68

Stang68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue Mustang Mach E GT Performance
Country flag
I will say after a week of driving it I would strongly encourage that you consider a Standard range car. When I drive I try and keep a little book where I record the distance driven every day. I personally average 30 to 40 miles in a day. If you have a place to charge at home, the range even on the SR AWD is more than enough. I'd personally save the change and go for a Standard range for every day driving as 200 miles + on a charge seems realistic from my experience. For road trips where the ER would have the advantage, well, um, let's just say I'm not sure the charging network is quite flushed out for the majority of folks. So save the dough!!!
I would totally go with the Standard Range...IF it was as powerful as the Extended Range! Coming from a Kia Stinger GT I really want to still have a fast car and the ER seems like a good fit.

Durkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Very interesting comparison! Throwing together info from the data that was said in the video, it shows that the range of these two vehicles is much closer than their DTE estimates (and EPA ratings) would suggest. Shows the Model Y has slightly better efficiency (to be expected since it's lighter, more aerodynamic, Tesla tends to have very efficient drive systems, heat pump), more gross battery capacity, but that only nets to about 50 more miles of range in these conditions.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging FAIL & GREAT Surprise When We Compare The Model Y & Mach-E On The World’s Toughest EV Test! TFL_ModelY_MachE

Biggest difference here is the DCFC rate and ease of operation, which definitely lands in Tesla's favor. Also much higher power, but that's not a fair comparison until you've got a MachE GT to compare.

Not a bad comparison for a car that is $20k cheaper with incentives, especially if you do not do a lot of 200+ mile road trips!

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag

You made my day comparing Tesla to a shoe. Still LOLing. To me, it has the face of a bullfrog or a toad without any eyes, nose or mouth. Personally, for me, I have low vision (good enough to drive, but not suited for searching a Tesla screen for windshield wiper controls or glove box release while going 70 MPH). Then there is the poor fit and finish and parts and service woes that go with Tesla. I have faith the Charging will be fixed over time.

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
the standard tyres are quite narrow , 225's add the fact they weren't snow rated and it wouldn't make for the most enthralling drive - a set of good rubber hopefully helps fix this

That is the one thing I don't like about the Mach E...who uses 225 tires on anything but an econobox these days, it just makes the stance look weak. I don't think we can even fit proper 255 tires on it, because they used an 8 inch wheel.

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
That is the one thing I don't like about the Mach E...who uses 225 tires on anything but an econobox these days, it just makes the stance look weak. I don't think we can even fit proper 255 tires on it, because they used an 8 inch wheel.
Actually most suvs, i.e. Rav 4, CRV, Rogur, nx200, are using 225/65/17
Sponsored