HackDolphin

First Name
Eshan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-E Select RWD
Country flag
First of all, I'd like to say sorry if this has been answered before.

So, I have a Ford Mustang Mach-E Select RWD and I would like to cost-effectively charge it(Level 2) with the NEMA 10-30 outlet I have in my garage. The Ford Mobile Charger I received with my MME has a NEMA 14-50 plug, which will not work with my 10-30 plug. I might take the route to getting a NEMA 14-50 outlet or the Ford Connected Charge Station, but I would like to find a cheaper solution.

So far, I have found one option: A NEMA 10-30 24A SplitVolt Charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GP81NY1
I have checked the reviews and it seems to be reliable and a good product. But I am not sure as it seems to be a small company.

Another option is using Tesla's NEMA Adapter, which has a 10-30 version: https://shop.tesla.com/product/gen-2-nema-adapters
Will this connect to my Ford Mobile Charger? I am skeptical as to if this will work and if I should use this.

I have looked into using a NEMA 10-30 to 14-50 adapter. But it seems to be very unsafe because the MME will pull more amps than the outlet can supply, tripping the circuit breaker?(Don't know much about it)

Is this SplitVolt Charger reliable? Will a Tesla NEMA Adapter work? Are their any other options?
Sponsored

Jim D

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E - GT
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I believe the Ford Mobile Charger pulls 30 or 32 amps which needs the circuit breaker to be 40 amp. Assuming you have a 30 amp circuit breaker the most you could support is 24 amp charger.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Tesla adapters don't fit Ford chargers.

So far, I have found one option: A NEMA 10-30 24A SplitVolt Charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GP81NY1
I have checked the reviews and it seems to be reliable and a good product. But I am not sure as it seems to be a small company.
This is the best option. You need to buy a separate EVSE that is set to only draw 24A (or less) from the 30A outlet.

As you guessed, do not buy an adapter to use a 50A plug in a 30A outlet, it will draw too many amps.

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I started with a 30 amp 240 volt outlet. I had one for my Air compressor already. That is the the biggest reason I bought a Grizzl-E. It has consumer changeable mechanical dip switches to change the output. So I set it to 24 amps and bought an RV converter to make the plug fit.
Then I was able to later get a 40 amp circuit and adjust the amperage. Then a 50 amp sub panel and further adjustment.
But there are many scalable EVSE’s on the market. The included mobile charger just isn’t one of them.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, a 24A EVSE will do the job for you. I use a 24A Clipper Creek for my Mach E. Check Tom Mologhney’s YouTube channel He reviews lots of EVSEs and you can use that to find a 24A that’s reliable.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag

BBBday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Select 4X SR
Country flag
Okay I guess I’ll offer myself up as the bad seed who is using a 10-30 to 14-50 adapter with the mobile charger. It’s only for extreme emergencies while I wait for an electrician to put in a 14-50 outlet. The circuit breaker is 40v so it didn’t trip when I hooked up the charger to the car for 15 minutes (3 mi/2% range added; connections didn’t run warm at all). 120V charging is worthless in a pinch, and I have free level 2 chargers just over a mile away from home and work so I’m not worried about it.
Sponsored