Charging in the rain / wet - any electrocution risk?

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Ford F-150, 2015 GMC Terrain
Country flag
I live in western Washington and we are known for our rain.

I have been lurking these forums for nearly the past year and have not seen this mentioned anywhere.

Can you just plug it in wet?

Yes I know that sounds sexy and might turn some of you on. Working as intended. ?

But, for reals, will I get electrocuted or no?
Sponsored

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag

I have been lurking these forums for nearly the past year and have not seen this mentioned anywhere.

Yes I know that sounds sexy and might turn some of you on. Working as intended. ?

If you are using a properly installed charger, no you shouldn't. The high voltage current is not present until the charger and car communicate over low voltage to turn on the high voltage flow. In both of my EV's it takes about 5 seconds for the high voltage current to turn on after they're connected.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
If you are using a properly installed charger, no you shouldn't. The high voltage current is not present until the charger and car communicate over low voltage to turn on the high voltage flow. In both of my EV's it takes about 5 seconds for the high voltage current to turn on after they're connected.
While that's absolutely true, I am also a little nervous about the 400 volt connection having water on the contacts. Logically I know it's supposed to be fine, but the lizard part of my brain wants to tell me it's scary. FYI I will be parking and charging outside all the time, so it's not just a hypothetical :)

OP
OP

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Okay. Plug it in fast and then don't touch it. Got it!

What about damage to the charging port on the vehicle? Can water get inside from the plug and fry electronics?

Do we need to keep a rag around to keep things from getting sloppy?

MailGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt Premier, Mini Cooper SE, Mustang Mach E FE
Country flag
Okay. Plug it in fast and then don't touch it. Got it!

What about damage to the charging port on the vehicle? Can water get inside from the plug and fry electronics?

Do we need to keep a rag around to keep things from getting sloppy?
I would absolutely NOT try to keep things dry with a rag. The contactors are already insulated and protected by plastic and should require no special handling.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Remember: The plug side on the car is behind a cover. It will stay dry until you open it.

In addition the plugs are deep seated: You have to push the plug in a good 1" or more before it latches. Its only after it latches and you've let go of the plug that the communications even begin (the car knows you're holding the plug because of a lever on the top you hold as you plug it in--same one the car uses to turn off current when you go to unplug if you unplug while its still charging).

While the car is charging I can go grab the plug and hear the contactors in my EVSE disengage as soon as I squeeze the lever to pull the plug--even if I don't pull the plug.

Been driving a car with a plug for 7 years now in rain, snow, sleet, etc. haven't been electrocuted even once (obviously I'm typing LOL) not even a slight tingle...

Of course it is fun trying to unplug the car when it is encased in 1.5" of ice in January but that has nothing to do with the current flow (preconditioning helps in this instance).

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
In addition to the voltage and current not being present in the plug until the handshake (between EVSE and car) completes successfully, all properly-certified EVSE have built-in GFCI support. GFCI stops the current when it detects current leakage (e.g. through your body to the ground, or through water to the ground). You have to try really hard in order to get shocked with GFCI-protected devices.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Psipunk

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Remember: The plug side on the car is behind a cover. It will stay dry until you open it.

In addition the plugs are deep seated: You have to push the plug in a good 1" or more before it latches. Its only after it latches and you've let go of the plug that the communications even begin (the car knows you're holding the plug because of a lever on the top you hold as you plug it in--same one the car uses to turn off current when you go to unplug if you unplug while its still charging).

While the car is charging I can go grab the plug and hear the contactors in my EVSE disengage as soon as I squeeze the lever to pull the plug--even if I don't pull the plug.

Been driving a car with a plug for 7 years now in rain, snow, sleet, etc. haven't been electrocuted even once (obviously I'm typing LOL) not even a slight tingle...

Of course it is fun trying to unplug the car when it is encased in 1.5" of ice in January but that has nothing to do with the current flow (preconditioning helps in this instance).
Okay cool. So the charging port on the car can handle some moisture is the message I am getting from this post.

Thats great news because when its torrential rain and you still need to go like 5 more miles and the kids are going nuts in the backseat and you dont have an umbrella and you just want this day to be OVER because now you are soaked from head to toe..... breaking your car ontop of that would suck.

Like, arm the nuclear weaponry and press the red button type of suck.

Thank you for providing some assurance that won't happen.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

My son and I have both been driving EVs for over seven years (Bolt and Leafs). I have never had an issue here in Wisconsin during heavy rain or snow. My son lives about 45 minutes from you and has never had an issue during your lovely rains. As noted by others, this is absolutely safe if chargers are installed correctly (and almost certainly safe even if not installed properly). In short, don't worry--you will be fine.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
I was in a blizzard in Albuquerque a year ago and the sliding doors were frozen shut, but there was no issue charging once I got the ice off the charge door. Same experience with rain over many years as others have said.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
While that's absolutely true, I am also a little nervous about the 400 volt connection having water on the contacts. Logically I know it's supposed to be fine, but the lizard part of my brain wants to tell me it's scary. FYI I will be parking and charging outside all the time, so it's not just a hypothetical :)
Make sure you use a circuit with a GFI. I guess you will see a lot of responses about why the charge system is safe, but try googling to see many articles their are on the interwebs about BEV owners being electrocuted by chargers. Doubt you'll find much.

imstriker

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2021 Infinite Blue
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
No worries! I charge our Leaf in rain, snow, sleet. The way it works is that the charger and car have to exchange via the two small pins before the 400 volt current is sent. That large relay can be heard closing a bit after the connection is made. Before that, it is just a low voltage signal current.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Make sure you use a circuit with a GFI. I guess you will see a lot of responses about why the charge system is safe, but try googling to see many articles their are on the interwebs about BEV owners being electrocuted by chargers. Doubt you'll find much.
For a 240V ("level 2") EVSE, make sure your EVSE has a GFI and not another one upstream on the circuit.

Installation instructions from well regarded EVSEs generally specify to not install downstream of a GFI protected circuit because false tripping will occur.

On the other hand, 120V ("level 1") EVSEs will likely encourage the opposite advice, as it is commonplace for household 120V 15/20A circuits to include ground fault protection when they're installed in potentially wet areas, such as in garages.
Sponsored