Charging on a 125/250v receptacle

adamtstipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Traverse, 2022 Mustang Mach-e Premium
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging on a 125/250v receptacle 3E2B446F-8BAA-458C-A0C4-BBF4E5559F3F

There are 2 of these NEMA 14-50R outlets available to plug into at my place of work. Will the Ford mobile charger provided with the car charge when plugged in here? I searched online but couldn’t find an answer. I would think 50A 250v would be backwards compatible (for lack of better word) with 240v, but I don’t know much about electrical so that may not be the case. Maybe I will need an adapter? The plug looks the same as NEMA 14-50 so I figured it would work. Would be awesome if it does as I can get level 2 charging for free while at work.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging on a 125/250v receptacle 3E2B446F-8BAA-458C-A0C4-BBF4E5559F3F

There are 2 of these NEMA 14-50R outlets available to plug into at my place of work. Will the Ford mobile charger provided with the car charge when plugged in here? I searched online but couldn’t find an answer. I would think 50A 250v would be backwards compatible (for lack of better word) with 240v, but I don’t know much about electrical so that may not be the case. Maybe I will need an adapter? The plug looks the same as NEMA 14-50 so I figured it would work. Would be awesome if it does as I can get level 2 charging for free while at work.
Yes, Looks like the one on the side of my house.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
3E2B446F-8BAA-458C-A0C4-BBF4E5559F3F.jpeg

Yes, that's a standard NEMA 14-50. The Ford Mobile charger should work fine on there. It's really a standard 240V electrical service. The wording molded on the outlet there just means that physical part can handle up to 250V.

OP
OP

adamtstipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you everyone for the quick answers!

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
Voltage isn't precise. Measure the voltage in the outlets of your house and you'll notice it varies slightly. If I recall, the utility company is supposed to keep the voltage within 5% (so it could be as much as 12v above or below 240).

The car and the Ford Mobile Charger will be fine with it.

OP
OP

adamtstipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So could I get a 2nd portable charger like this Splitvolt which runs at 40 amp and get a little bit faster charging speed than the Ford mobile charger (32 amp) on this 14-50 outlet? Then I could leave the Ford charger dedicated to home use.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yes

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
So could I get a 2nd portable charger like this Splitvolt which runs at 40 amp and get a little bit faster charging speed than the Ford mobile charger (32 amp) on this 14-50 outlet? Then I could leave the Ford charger dedicated to home use.
Yes, assuming the outlets at work have the correct 50A breaker in the panel. They definitely should to meet code, but stranger things have happened. Might be worth taking a peek in the breaker panel if possible.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Maybe. Don't think that's the way I'd go though.

As noted above, you'd wanna make sure that outlet at work is really on a 50A breaker. Sometimes they'll put a 14-50 outlet on a 40A. And you need a 50A circuit to run a 40A EVSE (80% rule).

That's a China-made EVSE, which tend to be cheaper made. That's fine for a lot of things but not always the wisest idea to go cheap on a high-power EVSE. Especially a portable one that you'll be plugging/unplugging and winding up regularly (that's where cords and connectors wear out more). I think I'd go the other way -- use the Ford Mobile Charger at work (32A) and get a better charger for home. A Grizzl-E (made in Canada - UL certified) is only about $100 more than that one. It's not really portable though (intended for wall mount), thus would be the home unit.

You also get a 30% federal tax credit on any EVSE and/or electrical and install costs too.

Unless you have a long daily commute, 32A is likely plenty good enough at work. 32A will add roughly 20 miles per hour. If you're there 8 hours, that's 160 miles (over half the battery).

OP
OP

adamtstipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Maybe. Don't think that's the way I'd go though.

As noted above, you'd wanna make sure that outlet at work is really on a 50A breaker. Sometimes they'll put a 14-50 outlet on a 40A. And you need a 50A circuit to run a 40A EVSE (80% rule).

That's a China-made EVSE, which tend to be cheaper made. That's fine for a lot of things but not always the wisest idea to go cheap on a high-power EVSE. Especially a portable one that you'll be plugging/unplugging and winding up regularly (that's where cords and connectors wear out more). I think I'd go the other way -- use the Ford Mobile Charger at work (32A) and get a better charger for home. A Grizzl-E (made in Canada - UL certified) is only about $100 more than that one. It's not really portable though (intended for wall mount), thus would be the home unit.

You also get a 30% federal tax credit on any EVSE and/or electrical and install costs too.

Unless you have a long daily commute, 32A is likely plenty good enough at work. 32A will add roughly 20 miles per hour. If you're there 8 hours, that's 160 miles (over half the battery).
Thanks for the info. I will check the circuit breaker. My plan was to only charge at 120v at home and not get a new outlet installed plus cost of the charger. I have a $250 rebate from electric co-op and the 30% tax credit, but I figured 120v at home and 240v at work (2 miles from my house) would be plenty and I could get an extra mobile charger for free after the credit and rebate. I just didn’t want to have to unplug and pack up the Ford charger every day. I could leave it at home. I would have to pay an extra $300-$500 for the 14-50 outlet and a wall mounted charger and it probably wouldn’t be needed as I could charge level 2 at work any time I needed.
I will look into better quality mobile units. I wish Ford sold their mobile charger instead of just the wall mounted one.

OP
OP

adamtstipp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I will check the circuit breaker. My plan was to only charge at 120v at home and not get a new outlet installed plus cost of the charger. I have a $250 rebate from electric co-op and the 30% tax credit, but I figured 120v at home and 240v at work (2 miles from my house) would be plenty and I could get an extra mobile charger for free after the credit and rebate. I just didn’t want to have to unplug and pack up the Ford charger every day. I could leave it at home. I would have to pay an extra $300-$500 for the 14-50 outlet and a wall mounted charger and it probably wouldn’t be needed as I could charge level 2 at work any time I needed.
I will look into better quality mobile units. I wish Ford sold their mobile charger instead of just the wall mounted one.
I guess if I got the Grizzl-E I could just get a 14-50 to 5-15 adapter? Would it down-convert to 120v fine?

TruWrecks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Star White Premium AWD Ext (Ghost Stallion)
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I guess if I got the Grizzl-E I could just get a 14-50 to 5-15 adapter? Would it down-convert to 120v fine?
Grizzl-E is a 240V EVSE. It will not power on with only 120 V.

You could use a 14-50 Grizzl-E at work. It can be used free standing like the mobile charger. Then you can keep the Ford charger at home.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
A 40 amp EVSE, such as the SplitVolt, will only deliver 32 amps of power to the car. Unless I am wrong, the Ford mobile unit that comes with the MME is also a 40 amp EVSE [that delivers 32 amps/7.2kw] to the car. Both the Ford supplied EVSE and the SpitVolt will allow the car to charge at the same rate.

So, regarding your circumstances, you could leave either one at home and use the other at work.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ah, I see. That makes more sense.

Honestly, if you only live 2 miles from work and can charge there regularly, you're really not even going to need to charge nightly when getting home from work. I would start off just charging at work using your Ford Mobile Charger and see how that goes for a while. Unless you drive a lot of other miles, you'll probably find you only need to charge at work like once or twice a week. And not even mess with home charging. Shouldn't even need a 2nd charger.

That's not totally unlike my situation. I'm retired, so my driving miles around home are pretty low (maybe 100 miles/week avg). Any day I drop below 50%, I plug in that night and charge up to 90%. Only have to do it about once a week.
Sponsored