Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Built a device so I could charge at my AirBnB off the Oven plug this past weekend. Made for a lot less planning for charging in the local area.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging on a weekend out of town Convert
Sponsored

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Oven plug would work.
I rented an AirBnB in Sedona and to my surprise there was a Tesla L2 unit in the garage. Never was even on the listing. It was hard wired in though......so I just charged via L1 since we were there for several days anyway...

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Oh it worked like a champ! And all out of spare parts in my bin-of-crap.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I wouldn't do that for a few important reasons.

Someone better able to explain why will be along shortly, no doubt.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I'd like to hear the reasons, but to get ahead of it, the oven outlet is a NEMA 10-50, so it's two hots and a "neutral". Well, it's a neutral to the oven, but the wiring in the box is still a ground. It's attached to the ground/neutral bar in the panel. It's essentially a NEMA 6-50 (two hots and a ground).

Moreover, the neutral is not used in the EVSE at all. It doesn't go anywhere in the plug. So the NEMA 10-50p "neutral" is wired to the NEMA 14-50R ground.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
I'd like to hear the reasons, but to get ahead of it, the oven outlet is a NEMA 10-50, so it's two hots and a "neutral". Well, it's a neutral to the oven, but the wiring in the box is still a ground. It's attached to the ground/neutral bar in the panel. It's essentially a NEMA 6-50 (two hots and a ground).

Moreover, the neutral is not used in the EVSE at all. It doesn't go anywhere in the plug. So the NEMA 10-50p "neutral" is wired to the NEMA 14-50R ground.
I think it only becomes an issue if the oven plug is on a sub panel vs main panel. Correct?
IIRC....a sub panel usually has the neutral and ground isolated from each other. ???

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
I think it only becomes an issue if the oven plug is on a sub panel vs main panel. Correct?
IIRC....a sub panel usually has the neutral and ground isolated from each other. ???
Yes, in a sub-panel they would be isolated, but there's still an individual neutral and ground bonded back in the main panel from that sub.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
How did you get the car close enough to where the EVSE was able to reach the oven plug via your adapter outlet? Was this house setup with the oven near a window/door that happened to be near the driveway? Or you put a really long cord on your adapter so it could reach?

This looks like a solid alternative to 120V charging, but getting in the proximity for it to work seems like a toss up, unless you know the property layout in advance.

OP
OP
i8iridium

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
How did you get the car close enough to where the EVSE was able to reach the oven plug via your adapter outlet? Was this house setup with the oven near a window/door that happened to be near the driveway? Or you put a really long cord on your adapter so it could reach?

This looks like a solid alternative to 120V charging, but getting in the proximity for it to work seems like a toss up, unless you know the property layout in advance.
It was a shot in the dark, the oven was very close to the side door where the driveway was. No extension cord used. I do have a J1772 extension cord if I need it though.
Sponsored