OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD SR, F150 XLT Special Edition
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Just wondering for those who have received theirs.. is the charging port door something flimsy or seems solid?

I've always questioned myself on these.... You know how done nice people can be in parking lots!!!!!
Sponsored

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It feels plastic to me. I would be happier if it were aluminum like the fenders and hood.
I think it is excessively large and when opened it seems a bit exposed. I sometimes don't plug in the car because I don't want to have that huge Dumbo ear hanging out there while I am working in the garage.

OP
OP
OttawaGuy

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
It feels plastic to me. I would be happier if it were aluminum like the fenders and hood.
I think it is excessively large and when opened it seems a bit exposed. I sometimes don't plug in the car because I don't want to have that huge Dumbo ear hanging out there while I am working in the garage.
That summarizes exactly the feeling I have!
And it seems to hold only by a small piece of plastic (compared to its overall size). Let's just hope it is not something that will break easily!

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Mine often pops back open when I close it. I've sat there pressing multiple times before it stays closed. It's definitely on the "flimsy" side, but I'd still rather have this than a complicated powered door.

OP
OP
OttawaGuy

OttawaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Busy!
Country flag
Mine often pops back open when I close it. I've sat there pressing multiple times before it stays closed. It's definitely on the "flimsy" side, but I'd still rather have this than a complicated powered door.
Totally agree, I saw the Cadillac design on their upcoming EV..... looks nice but I can see the problems down the road with such a motorized panel (if they actually implement it)!!!

If the supports for the door on the MME seemed (or were) stronger, I'd be reassured!

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
IMO the solution on the Nissan Leaf after 2018 is a much better solution. The door has to be unlock from inside the car. This would help prevent some mischievous person from screwing with the charging port....though anyone determined to do that could take a screwdriver to it and force it open.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
Agreed.
My Focus Electric has a little dimple on the door that helps communicate where to press to open and to close. Works well. The Mach-E doesn't have anything like that so you have to find the sweet spot yourself, which for me is right where that plunger thing is located. If I open and close in that general area then it seems to latch securely every time.

20210309_093245.jpg

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Just wondering for those who have received theirs.. is the charging port door something flimsy or seems solid?

I've always questioned myself on these.... You know how done nice people can be in parking lots!!!!!

It's kinda flimsy.... and if 'bent the wrong way' by a person walking by, or an errant basketball in the driveway, it can bend around far enough to dent the fender.

I put a sticker on the outside, and a piece of reflective 3M tape on the inside so I can see it if walking between my car and wife's in the garage when the light is dim.

20210320 HV badge.jpg

20210320 reflective inside.jpg

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag

exact33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Fusion
Country flag
The door feels pretty flimsy. I have to remind myself not to push too hard

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Let’s remember that “so far” is less than 4 months and 10,000 vehicles. I’m not sure this bodes well for durability.
To be fair, in that particular instance, the owner unplugged the heavy DCFC cable , left it draped over the open charge port door, and drove away. I'm not sure a beefier charge port door would have helped in that situation.
Sponsored