Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
To be fair, in that particular instance, the owner unplugged the heavy DCFC cable , left it draped over the open charge port door, and drove away. I'm not sure a beefier charge port door would have helped in that situation.

probably better to have it snap off than bend the fender!

Hopefully Deaperships can get, or even consider stocking, some hinges in Service dept along with charge ports and charger handles that can get broken off while charging.
Sponsored

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Just wondering for those who have received theirs.. is the charging port door something flimsy or seems solid?

I've always questioned myself on these.... You know how done nice people can be in parking lots!!!!!
Solid to me. Similar to the one on my Bolt. Seems similar to standard gas cover. It was very annoying with my Leaf to need to release from inside. I am happy to risk the very small chance someone will mess with it to avoid the regular inconvenience.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
To be fair, in that particular instance, the owner unplugged the heavy DCFC cable , left it draped over the open charge port door, and drove away. I'm not sure a beefier charge port door would have helped in that situation.
Perhaps not beefier, but a better designed one. I really liked the design on my C-Max charge port door. Does not stick out like a dumbo ear and easy to open and close (just push on the dimple to open and again to close). I think ford could have figured out how to adapt it to include CCS.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging port door - flimsy or solid? 1620075475637

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
I love the motorized door on my Etron.

My I3 door bought in 2014 fell of as I was inspecting it at the dealer! But it sticks out like dumbo ears but havn't had any issues in 7 years. Same with my volt.

After a few early misses people get into a regular habit and then there are never any issues. I plug my charge chord exactly the same way in my garage every single time. Never vary it like draping it over the charge chord or over the mirror, this was an issue on volt early on, and things settle down.. The quicker folks get into a set pattern and never very it the better things go. Mycables are actually suspended right by the charger door in my garage. About 24" of movement necessary to plug in.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine is solid.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Perhaps not beefier, but a better designed one. I really liked the design on my C-Max charge port door. Does not stick out like a dumbo ear and easy to open and close (just push on the dimple to open and again to close). I think ford could have figured out how to adapt it to include CCS.

Agreed. The charge port door on my Fusion is the same other than cosmetic contours for the shape of the car.

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag

I have the same for my Fusion Plug-in Hybrid and I thought at first it was flimsy but after 17 months it has not been a issue at all.

As for the Mach-E, it doesn't really feel flimsy but it sure does stick out. How long before someone hits it as they walk between cars? Fortunatly most people don't have to walk through you car while charging because in most parking lots the chargers are out of the way but I can see this happening at one point.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

Agreed. The charge port door on my Fusion is the same other than cosmetic contours for the shape of the car.
Yeah both my Focus Electric and C-Max Energi had that door.

Problem is that there is no room for the DCFC plugs without enlarging the circle.

My Bolt had a similar door to the Mach-E and I didn't have any issues with it.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Problem is that there is no room for the DCFC plugs without enlarging the circle.
Yes, they would have had enlarged the circle, but then MME square is on the huge side. The larger circle could have been accommodated by moving it further from the door, or opening it counterclockwise. I don't think it's a huge engineering problem.
Sponsored