Charging port latch fell inside car

KevinS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E (sold), 2023 Ioniq 6 SEL
Country flag
Take it to a dealer. That's unfortunately part of the entire housing for the charging port that needs to be replaced.

Stupid, stupid design.

opus

First Name
Dwight
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dwightbattle.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
UX/Product Designer
Country flag
This just happened to me a few minutes ago. It's been cold in Seattle-but not unreasonably so-and I noticed that after a drive, the door wouldn't open. I kept having to pry it open, because nothing would work. I thought maybe it was frozen, but I pushed one more time, heard a pop, and when it opened, I watched as the piece fell inside the car. And now it won't close

So since I have to take it in anyway for the windshield thing and the dozen or so "OTA" software updates the car refuses to take, I guess I'll add this to the list.

Getting real tired of this car.

OP
OP

Dogtoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
This just happened to me a few minutes ago. It's been cold in Seattle-but not unreasonably so-and I noticed that after a drive, the door wouldn't open. I kept having to pry it open, because nothing would work. I thought maybe it was frozen, but I pushed one more time, heard a pop, and when it opened, I watched as the piece fell inside the car. And now it won't close

So since I have to take it in anyway for the windshield thing and the dozen or so "OTA" software updates the car refuses to take, I guess I'll add this to the list.

Getting real tired of this car.
I'm in seattle too. I think it was frozen though I didn't push it hard at all. Stupid design.

Jimmm

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Builder
Country flag
Mine was frozen shut here in Vancouver. Hair dryer thawed it. Iā€™m impressed with everything about this car EXCEPT the charge port door. Itā€™s flimsy, often needs to be pushed shut quite a few times before it latches or opens and now it freezes shut. Iā€˜m sure that Ford can do better!

vpisipati

First Name
Venkat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT - Rapid Red, '08 Shelby GT500 - Black
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Noooooooo
20211228_092521.jpg
Hi there, Matthew! This definitely isn't the experience we want you to be having. If you'd like to, go ahead and send a message to us with your VIN and dealer info. Iā€™d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!

vpisipati

First Name
Venkat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GT - Rapid Red, '08 Shelby GT500 - Black
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
OK, received the part, installed it, which is just a quarter turn, and it fits perfectly. Latches and unlatches just like the original!!!

Thanks again Miguel

OP
OP

Dogtoy

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Hi there, Matthew! This definitely isn't the experience we want you to be having. If you'd like to, go ahead and send a message to us with your VIN and dealer info. Iā€™d be happy to look into this for you. Thanks!
Thanks its all fixed now. :)

RobNat27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Platinum
Country flag
Greetings:
I experienced the same issue with my 2023 Ford Lightening Platinum this week where the locking mechanism fell inside the body of the truck. I went to the dealer but they were struggling to find the part number and said theyā€™d have to take the body panel(s) off to find the part and figure out what was needed for the repair. How do you recommend I proceed? Any guidance Iā€™d greatly appreciated.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging port latch fell inside car D2CBA917-0D82-4488-8465-B993B897B4E5

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag

RobNat27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning Platinum
Country flag
If your dealer is having that hard of a time finding it, I'd just get the BMW part referenced in the other thread and be done with the situation for under $20.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/charging-port-door-lock-fell-off.12735/page-2#post-371232
Thank you very much for this information. I really appreciate it.
Do you know if the part number you sent is for the pin only
OR if it is for both the pin on the door and the receiver that fell into the truck body?
Again, sincerely appreciate the guidance.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Thank you very much for this information. I really appreciate it.
Do you know if the part number you sent is for the pin only
OR if it is for both the pin on the door and the receiver that fell into the truck body?
Again, sincerely appreciate the guidance.
Not sure, sorry.

Aaudette3

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache 2 2021
Country flag
Hello, this just happened to me too. The dealer tells me the repair is an $800 job because the latch is part of the whole assembly! Sounds like a bad design for a small plastic part.
Sponsored