RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Delivered 9/9/22, GT500
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
Sorry if this was asked already. I can't seem to get through every post and find simple answers. New at this.

My garage came with a 240v plug. Do I just plug and charge? What about that Ford Charging thing you put on the wall - what is it for? How fast is 240V vs. 120v for charging? Is it better to drive round trip 70 miles (work) and charge during night or go 140 miles in 2 days and then charge?

Thanks!

-RJ
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
What is the configuration of your receptacle? You need a NEMA 14-50 to plug in the provided Ford Mobile Charger without adaptors. Check the breaker size on the circuit, it needs to be at least 40A for the FMC. Consult a licensed electrician if there’s any doubt.

ETA: The owner’s manual section on charging should help you.

I just did a 4 day vacation where the only option at the resort was 120V. It took about 3 days to go from 28% to full, so that’s not an option for your commute.

I‘d suggest setting your charge level to 90% and plug in every night. It’s a good feeling starting out with a “full tank” every morning - provides the capability to handle unexpected travel needs. Also check if your utility has lower rates (usually at night) and set the car to only charge during those times, if applicable.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Benny’66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1966 Mustang, 2021 Mach E GTPE
Occupation
Plant Manager
Country flag
Sorry if this was asked already. I can't seem to get through every post and find simple answers. New at this.

My garage came with a 240v plug. Do I just plug and charge? What about that Ford Charging thing you put on the wall - what is it for? How fast is 240V vs. 120v for charging? Is it better to drive round trip 70 miles (work) and charge during night or go 140 miles in 2 days and then charge?

Thanks!

-RJ
It the plug style is the same on your wall as the mobile “charger” that came with your MachE, then yes, just plug in and charge. The mobile “charger” (it’s really not a charger, the charger is in the car) at 240 should produce 20 miles of charge per hour plugged in, so if your communite is 70/day, you can easily get that overnight. If you go 2 days between charges and decided to make a couple stops on your way home, the math won’t work charging every other day unless you charge more than 7 hours per night, which depends if you care about reduced charging rate times from your utility, blah blah. The 2 main advantages with wall mounted EVSE units is they typically are higher Amp and can deliver more juice (so the car charges faster) and it allows you to keep the mobile charger in the car for emergencies. Plugging in 110 is very slow at about 3 miles of charge per hour plugged in.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
What is the configuration of your receptacle? You need a NEMA 14-50 to plug in the provided Ford Mobile Charger without adaptors. Check the breaker size on the circuit, it needs to be at least 40A for the FMC. Consult a licensed electrician if there’s any doubt.

ETA: The owner’s manual section on charging should help you.

I just did a 4 day vacation where the only option at the resort was 120V. It took about 3 days to go from 28% to full, so that’s not an option for your commute.

I‘d suggest setting you charge level to 90% and plug in every night. It’s a good feeling starting out with a “full tank” every morning - provides the capability to handle unexpected travel needs. Also check if your utility has lower rates (usually at night) and set the car to only charge during those times, if applicable.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! It's a 4 prong hole. the building put it in. I will have to see what way the L is pointing.

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag

Thanks!

-RJ
Watch this.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
It the plug style is the same on your wall as the mobile “charger” that came with your MachE, then yes, just plug in and charge. The mobile “charger” (it’s really not a charger, the charger is in the car) at 240 should produce 20 miles of charge per hour plugged in, so if your communite is 70/day, you can easily get that overnight. If you go 2 days between charges and decided to make a couple stops on your way home, the math won’t work charging every other day unless you charge more than 7 hours per night, which depends if you care about reduced charging rate times from your utility, blah blah. The 2 main advantages with wall mounted EVSE units is they typically are higher Amp and can deliver more juice (so the car charges faster) and it allows you to keep the mobile charger in the car for emergencies. Plugging in 110 is very slow at about 3 miles of charge per hour plugged in.
I ordered the Mach-E, so just prepping myself for now. My 240 was put in by the builder with 4 prong. I am home about 10-12 hours.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Which Mach-E did you order (SR, ER, AWD, RWD)?

I ask because, in the summer, an ER RWD Mach-E can likely do 3 of your commutes on a full battery.

Charging to 90% (as mentioned in above in the owner's manual) is good and you'll want to do that 99% of the time (If you know you're going on a long trip the next day you'll want to start out at 100%).

However, in the summer since my CA Rt1 has such a long range (ER, RWD, 305 miles EPA) I'll typically switch to a "charge it when it needs it" routine. Thus I'll charge it to 90% and then drive it until its around 20-30% and plug it in (usually this means plugging it in Sunday night so its full for the week commute and then plugging it in Thursday night so its ready for the weekend).

Some thoughts as the car does a pretty good job of managing the battery so, in the end, you can just plug it in and drive it and not think about it too much.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Do not just plug in and charge before verifying the breaker size.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
Which Mach-E did you order (SR, ER, AWD, RWD)?

I ask because, in the summer, an ER RWD Mach-E can likely do 3 of your commutes on a full battery.

Charging to 90% (as mentioned in above in the owner's manual) is good and you'll want to do that 99% of the time (If you know you're going on a long trip the next day you'll want to start out at 100%).

However, in the summer since my CA Rt1 has such a long range (ER, RWD, 305 miles EPA) I'll typically switch to a "charge it when it needs it" routine. Thus I'll charge it to 90% and then drive it until its around 20-30% and plug it in (usually this means plugging it in Sunday night so its full for the week commute and then plugging it in Thursday night so its ready for the weekend).

Some thoughts as the car does a pretty good job of managing the battery so, in the end, you can just plug it in and drive it and not think about it too much.
Ordered the GT. Passed on the Perf Edition.

OP
OP

Shelbeast

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sausage Maker
Country flag
Another question. Since I ordered now and it takes 4-6 months, how do I now if Ford met it's 200K tax benefit. How do I check to make sure i'm getting it?

available_username2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cmax energi
Country flag

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Ordered the GT. Passed on the Perf Edition.
Ah then yeah in the summer months you likely may get 3 commutes out of the range... (I'd likely stick to two with such a long commute...or just plug in every night and don't think about it LOL).

Either way it won't hurt your battery...
Sponsored