Charging supplies for road trips, a list with links.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
No. In 240v circuits with no neutral, the return for one phase uses the the other hot wire when it’s out of phase for its return. Technically, a ground isn’t even require except for safety. That’s why you often see hardwired 240v electric water heaters with only two wires.
Right, 240 often does not require 3-phase and therefore no neutral - be it hot water heaters or EVSEs. But to clarify for novices one ALWAYS needs a ground for safety, and when you say "2 wires" the additional ground is always assumed.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I do not see the loop in the diagram shown. The grounds are all connected, but each hot line is going to a separate hot pin on the 250V receptacle. I thought that within a 250V appliance, the two hot lines are tied together so that the separate 125V inputs just add together to get 250V to ground?

If one line disconnects and not the other, won't there still be continuity from the remaining line to ground?

How might a device behave when it is happily getting 220-250V at first and then a single breaker trips and it becomes 110-125V?
The loop is made when the EVSE is plugged in. (What some of the commenters prior to this reply are pointing out.)

Yes with nothing plugged in you get two hot lines (or one if one of the breakers tripped--but if they trip when nothing is plugged in you have bigger problems).

Once an EVSE is plugged in and operating you have a full circuit with one hot line going from the plug into the car, through its circuitry, and connecting up to the other hot line--full circle.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don't forget that there are lots of places out there with Tesla Destination Chargers you mighty want to tap into. Ditto if visiting a friend or family member with a Tesla.

The TeaslaTap 50A is fine for charging the Mustang Mach E, especially for occasional use. They offer lower amperage units and there are other companies with lower amperage units. However, since the Mach E charges at up to around 11.5 or 12 kW, you need one rated for 50A.

Dave, the owner of TeslaTap recommends the TeslaTap 80A if you will be using it regularly and will be plugging your Mach E into a 60-80A Tesla charger like their Gen 3 chargers. Wiring, etc. are beefier on the 80A unit.

Remember, these are only for the Tesla L2 systems, not the SuperChargers.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have no idea what else is wrong with this (again, I am not an electrician), but I'd bet there are other risks not presented.
Another issue, which is probably implied but worth pointing out... Most people's 120V circuits in or near their garages usually have multiple outlets with multiple things plugged in. 240V EVSEs pull so much power you really want them on a dedicated circuit with nothing else.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Don't forget that there are lots of places out there with Tesla Destination Chargers you mighty want to tap into. Ditto if visiting a friend or family member with a Tesla.

The TeaslaTap 50A is fine for charging the Mustang Mach E, especially for occasional use. They offer lower amperage units and there are other companies with lower amperage units. However, since the Mach E charges at up to around 11.5 or 12 kW, you need one rated for 50A.

Dave, the owner of TeslaTap recommends the TeslaTap 80A if you will be using it regularly and will be plugging your Mach E into a 60-80A Tesla charger like their Gen 3 chargers. Wiring, etc. are beefier on the 80A unit.

Remember, these are only for the Tesla L2 systems, not the SuperChargers.
I have been reading the posts about TeslaTap and it has piqued my interest enough to consider having this adapter in case of an emergency. Are there apps that point to the available L2 Tesla chargers? I believe (I am not 100% sure) route planners like ABRP ignore Tesla chargers once you select a non tesla vehicle. It definitely opens up options.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Please use PlugShare to rate charging stations. It helps everyone.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have been reading the posts about TeslaTap and it has piqued my interest enough to consider having this adapter in case of an emergency. Are there apps that point to the available L2 Tesla chargers? I believe (I am not 100% sure) route planners like ABRP ignore Tesla chargers once you select a non tesla vehicle. It definitely opens up options.
If they were like 50 bucks, I might pop for one for "just in case" use. But nearly $200 for something I'd probably never use is just too much. I'd need some necessary, expected destinations planned to justify that.

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
This thread is about emergency charging on a long trip and you end up somewhere were you cannot find a proper public charger. My intent was that the WARNINGS I provided would make it not a horrible idea for occasional use like that one evening you spend out at the cabin. Absolutely this is less safe than a properly hard wired EVSE without extension cords.
The item is available on line for $250. My guess it is not UL Listed. Could be safer if add GFCI plugs to each phase, but they could end up being redundant. Could instead inspect the cord insulation for damage before each use as you are supposed to do.
Sponsored

Last edited: