Charging supplies for road trips, a list with links.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't think I'd trust that handle lock to be safe against a pissed off driver that's blocked in by the cord. Apply some leverage to that thing and I'm guessing it snaps off (and does damage). If I did park next to them, I'd make sure to run the extension cord around the front so they're not blocked in.

Of course, if you actually park your vehicle behind another car to box them in, they probably can't get out. Ram your car, maybe, but not get out.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
LOL Yeah the lock is more of the "keep honest people honest" kind, it wont defeat someone who's really determined.

Since the cord is 50ft I could easily park quite a bit away and still charge--it is likely they wouldn't even notice the EV parked over there charging if they don't notice the cable on the ground.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's not to say I don't feel the plight of BEV drivers counting on using a charger in a spot that's reported "open", only to arrive and find a car in that space that's not charging. That's maddening. But I wouldn't use my car (or charging cord extension if I had one) to try and piss them off by blocking them in. I'd fear for retaliatory damage to my car/cable. (Or maybe even theft of my extension cable.)

That situation isn't helped by the "too prime" placement of some of these chargers in parking lots. Whenever possible, they should be placed in the LEAST desirable locations of the lot (far corners), not close to the entrances. But I get why some are probably placed there -- lower installation cost from shorter wiring runs.

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Of course I was being nasty, but I'm not like that, but it just came across my mind. And yes probably that lock mecanism is not that strong, I saw a video of a man getting a charger handle out of a Tesla M3 in the car owner driveway.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
This J1772 extension cord could be very practical if you are ICE at a DCFC charging station
Something else just occurred to me... does a J1772 cable like that work on DCFC, or just L2? Do they make DCFC extensions?

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Something else just occurred to me... does a J1772 cable like that work on DCFC, or just L2? Do they make DCFC extensions?
It's just an AC extension (J1772 only). Also, not UL listed. May want to drop your charge rate down a bit from the connected charger's max rate, especially if it's hot outside.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
It's just an AC extension (J1772 only). Also, not UL listed. May want to drop your charge rate down a bit from the connected charger's max rate, especially if it's hot outside.
Cable is rated for 40 amps more than most Level-2's (I have the one at our house set to 33 amps).

Most of the Level-2's around here are around 7kW (around 30 amps).

Cable doesn't get warm--I checked when it was charging the Bolt.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Cable is rated for 40 amps more than most Level-2's (I have the one at our house set to 33 amps).

Most of the Level-2's around here are around 7kW (around 30 amps).

Cable doesn't get warm--I checked when it was charging the Bolt.
Your situations might be perfectly safe, but I'd still want to express caution to anyone considering doing this. The particular extension cable might be sized for 40A, but we also need to account for the voltage drop over the extra length of cable, and the rating of the two cables that are permanently connected at the EVSE.

There's likely solid reasoning behind why vehicle manufacturers, EVSE manufacturers, and safety registrars (UL, Intertek, etc.) do not endorse extension cables for EV charging.

I'm not an electrician or an electrical engineer, and not sure of the math on it. But I'm just aware enough that this is an area where people need to use extra caution. The same is true of extension cables/leads used for any purpose (for leaf blowers, etc), but we're talking about significantly higher amperage in this case, and in a situation where most people may be asleep during peak usage instead of right there monitoring it the whole time.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
Well I did purchase the cable for a specific usage: We were getting the driveway redone and needed a way to charge the car for a month while we couldn't drive on the driveway as it cured. So I've used it as shown in the picture to charge the car in the street.

My other intended useages are likely to charge at campgrounds when the 50amp plug is further away than my EVSE can reach but that EVSE is even lower current: its a 24 amp Level-2.

Since we have the RV I really have no need for any long distance trips in the EV and thus 99.99% of the time it gets charged at home. The Mach-E is likely to be no different--although we may take it on some camping trips where we drive it separatly from the RV (since I'm assuming I won't be able to tow it like the Bolt)....

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Extension cord safety is a tricky issue. The extra caution and warnings are appropriate more so because much of the general public doesn't realize there are very important sizing requirements. Many people just think "extension cord", and as long as the plug on the end fits, they're good. Or maybe they know a little more than that but think "oh this one says heavy duty so it should be fine". Not realizing that 20' is a lot different than 50', or 100'. Or that plugging two 20' cords together negates the rating. Since many people aren't up to speed on the nuances, it's prudent to issue severe general cautions.

But for those that know how crucial distance is in the equation, and know not to make those mistakes, it's probably OK.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Sounds like the NEMA 14-50 is the most common plug at RV parks.

I'm not quite sure how the payment works, but I do question how useful they really are for a road trip. If using the included Ford Mobile Charger, for instance, it takes longer to charge than the driving time you get out of it.

For instance, lets say you're counting on using an RV park in Green River, UT when crossing the state on I-70 (because it's a dead zone hole in EA's network). You pull in to do a charge after stopping at a Taco Bell to grab take-out so you can kill some time sitting at the RV park doing a 1-hour charge. On the mobile charger, one hour gives you 22 miles. You've just added a whopping 20 minutes of drive time from a 60 minute stop. That sure doesn't cut it.

I suppose if there's a hotel in walking distance and you plan on spending the night, that might be useful. But otherwise, it doesn't seem like a viable option.
Which is why camping mode would be great!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Which is why camping mode would be great!
Let's not forget the old fashion way: there's plenty of room for camping gear in the Mach E. Get an electric site and have a full charge when you wake up.