Charging supplies for road trips, a list with links.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Forgot the zero? Here is a 100 foot extension:
EVSE 1450 extension 100 feet.jpg
Ah but that is for the other side of the EVSE--that one goes in between the plug and the EVSE, not on the car side. As such it is likely less expensive so may be more worthwile.

(I have a similar one, but its a 30 amp one for the RV...)

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Ah but that is for the other side of the EVSE--that one goes in between the plug and the EVSE, not on the car side. As such it is likely less expensive so may be more worthwile.

(I have a similar one, but its a 30 amp one for the RV...)
and I hook my Clipper Creek EVSE to this and have a 120 foot cord length.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
and I hook my Clipper Creek EVSE to this and have a 120 foot cord length.
Yeah I hook my 50 footer to the Clipper Creek and get 70 feet.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Forgot the zero? Here is a 100 foot extension:
EVSE 1450 extension 100 feet.jpg
Is that really a picture of a 100' cord? Just eyeballing the proportions, it looks more like maybe 25' to me.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Is that really a picture of a 100' cord? Just eyeballing the proportions, it looks more like maybe 25' to me.
The photo may not be 100 feet but it is listed for sale on the site.. I can image how heavy this would be.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The photo may not be 100 feet but it is listed for sale on the site.. I can image how heavy this would be.
No need to guess... The web site says this easy-to-use-improperly cord weighs about fifty pounds.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

NoMoShocks

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier EV, 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander GT PHEV
Occupation
Electrical product safety engineer
Country flag
Manufacturers say not to use extension cords because they cause a lot of accidents like ladders. They can be used safely if you size correctly and keep them in good condition. To Charge at 240 V when a Dryer outlet not available or you don't want to move the stove out of the way, you can buy a phase combiner here Quick 220 Systems: Outlet Tester - 110 to 125 Volts AC for about $250 or just buy a couple short 12 AWG extension cords and an outlet tester to make your own like this. Be careful to head the Warnings as this type of adaptor needs to be handled with care to avoid a shock. Just don't touch the prongs of one plug while the other is plugged in. Make up the prong cover as shown in the fires warning.

240V,16 Amp Phase combiner.png

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
Manufacturers say not to use extension cords because they cause a lot of accidents like ladders. They can be used safely if you size correctly and keep them in good condition. To Charge at 240 V when a Dryer outlet not available or you don't want to move the stove out of the way, you can buy a phase combiner here Quick 220 Systems: Outlet Tester - 110 to 125 Volts AC for about $250 or just buy a couple short 12 AWG extension cords and an outlet tester to make your own like this. Be careful to head the Warnings as this type of adaptor needs to be handled with care to avoid a shock. Just don't touch the prongs of one plug while the other is plugged in. Make up the prong cover as shown in the fires warning.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging supplies for road trips, a list with links. 240V,16 Amp Phase combiner
I am not an electrician, but this does not look safe.

It does not take into account the 125% overrating rule.

It ignores the reason why two pole breakers are intentionally designed to trip both poles simultaneously. In this hack, the device being powered may suddenly receive half the voltage it was expecting. What will happen?

It causes the two phase lines to be of differing lengths. The resulting voltage might not form a clean sine wave.

I have no idea what else is wrong with this (again, I am not an electrician), but I'd bet there are other risks not presented.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I am not an electrician, but this does not look safe.

It does not take into account the 125% overrating rule.

It ignores the reason why two pole breakers are intentionally designed to trip both poles simultaneously. In this hack, the device being powered may suddenly receive half the voltage it was expecting. What will happen?

It causes the two phase lines to be of differing lengths. The resulting voltage might not form a clean sine wave.

I have no idea what else is wrong with this (again, I am not an electrician), but I'd bet there are other risks not presented.
It acutally makes a loop between the two lines (circuit) and thus if one of the breakers trips there is no current (yes the other line will still be "hot" but the current will stop flowing unless there is another path for it to go on).

You can purchase adapters to do this sort of thing (and you can buy a harness to turn two Honda Inverting generators into a similar setup) but it is not recommended, not code, and can be dangerous.

Of course "people have been doing it for years" LOL

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It acutally makes a loop between the two lines (circuit) and thus if one of the breakers trips there is no current (yes the other line will still be "hot" but the current will stop flowing unless there is another path for it to go on).
I do not see the loop in the diagram shown. The grounds are all connected, but each hot line is going to a separate hot pin on the 250V receptacle. I thought that within a 250V appliance, the two hot lines are tied together so that the separate 125V inputs just add together to get 250V to ground?

If one line disconnects and not the other, won't there still be continuity from the remaining line to ground?

How might a device behave when it is happily getting 220-250V at first and then a single breaker trips and it becomes 110-125V?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
If one line disconnects and not the other, won't there still be continuity from the remaining line to ground?
No. In 240v circuits with no neutral, the return for one phase uses the the other hot wire when it’s out of phase for its return. Technically, a ground isn’t even require except for safety. That’s why you often see hardwired 240v electric water heaters with only two wires.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging supplies for road trips, a list with links. 240V,16 Amp Phase combiner
That may work if you are careful and understand how it works. Otherwise it is a horrible idea