Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD Ext. Range - Infinite Blue
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
FordPass app is set to only charge to 90%. Notification in app says my car "has charge to 90% per your charge settings. Enjoy your ride!".

However - the car always shows 100% charged when I get in each morning.

Is this normal? I can't believe that it is and I my car is actually charging to 100% each night. I trust the car is accurate and the app is not.......
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Make sure it says that in the car and that the setting in the car is set to use the charge schedule instead of "charge when plugged in".

Er make sure you see the schedule in the car for your location.

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
Make sure it says that in the car and that the setting in the car is set to use the charge schedule instead of "charge when plugged in".

Er make sure you see the schedule in the car for your location.
Thanks. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I set this up in the car and not the app. It's been a few weeks now. However, the charge schedule is probably it..... Betting I have that set incorrectly. I think that felt counter intuitive to me for some reason and likely have it wrong. I will check that out!

Thanks again!

CHeil402

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi A4, 2021 MME
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Thanks. Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I set this up in the car and not the app. It's been a few weeks now. However, the charge schedule is probably it..... Betting I have that set incorrectly. I think that felt counter intuitive to me for some reason and likely have it wrong. I will check that out!

Thanks again!
It's very counterintuitive as it's currently designed. Even if you set a charge schedule based solely on the max charge percent, you still need to select "Use preferred charge settings". I thought that since I don't set a charge TIME just a charge PERCENT that I would want to "Charge when plugged in", but if you select that it ignores all charge settings and just always charges to 100%.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Charging to 90% 1620137997118

OP
OP
Grux40

Grux40

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CTO
Country flag
It's very counterintuitive as it's currently designed. Even if you set a charge schedule based solely on the max charge percent, you still need to select "Use preferred charge settings". I thought that since I don't set a charge TIME just a charge PERCENT that I would want to "Charge when plugged in", but if you select that it ignores all charge settings and just always charges to 100%.

1620137997118.png
Got it! Glad I am not the only one who thought this was a little backwards. I'll make that change.

Thanks!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
To add a little more info….

if your car tells you you charged to 100%, that’s what is happening. And I’m not surprised.

Basically, you can’t use FordPass to make changes - reliably - to your charging schedule at this point. You need to set it all up and make changes using the car interface. FordPass may or may not provide information on charging status or charge settings, but that information is unreliable and in all liklihood at least somewhat wrong.

Even using the car interface, I don’t think you can set a max charge without specifying charging times, but you can make the schedule 24hrs a day if you just want the charge to start whenever you plug in but still stop at a max charge.

Hope that helps.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
Wait until you try and get pre-conditioning to work... I've had the same "Make it ready by 7:30am every day" schedule since I bought it and it works about one day a week. Maybe.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Shoot me, but with the large buffer the car already has I just charge ours to 100% every time. I sincerely doubt the battery will degrade in the 4-5 years we keep the car before getting something newer. We usually only have to charge about twice weekly.

v8318cid

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MMe Prm. 4x , 19 Nissan Leaf, 22 GC 4xe
Occupation
Information Tech
Country flag
Shoot me, but with the large buffer the car already has I just charge ours to 100% every time. I sincerely doubt the battery will degrade in the 4-5 years we keep the car before getting something newer. We usually only have to charge about twice weekly.
This has been an ongoing debate among the plug-in/electric car crowds for years, and will likely continue for the foreseeable future. Opinions on this topic are as wide and varied as toppings on a pizza. Stick with your gut, and deal with issues if/when they arise. My personal opinion (take it for what it's worth, not as an authoritative position) is to charge and go. I've owned/leased multiple HV battery-equipped vehicles which I routinely have charged to 100% and have noticed no degradation issues so far. Outside of the early Nissan Leaf and the first generation Honda Civic Hybrid, my research and experience has suggested that the batteries are capable of lasting the duration of the attached warranties, if not beyond. If I recall correctly, there is an early model Chevrolet Volt tooling around with over 300k miles on the original battery.
Sponsored