First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Hi,

I Just took home my MME on Friday. I currently have a Tesla Wall connector Gen 3 hard wired to a 60amp fuse and using the teslatap mini 60amp adapter. Over the weekend I successfully charged 2 times with no issues/errors.

Monday morning I woke up to a Charge Station Fault on the Ford Pass app. The car was already charged up so I thought nothing of it. Later that day when I got home and plugged in, the charge lights on the car started off Blue and then all would flash Amber. According to the manual, this meant there was an issue outside the car. There were no fault lights on the tesla so my assumption is the issue is with the adapter. I plugged in the supplied ford charger and it worked fine.

Has anyone else experienced this with a tesla/adapter? Any work arounds? I've tried power cycling the tesla, leaving the adapter connected for multiple minutes, nothing seems to work. Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
When you plug the teslatap into the tesla connector you're supposed to wait 30 seconds and then plug it into the car. Don't know why or if you did/didn't; just passing along the info.

Also, what amperage is the wall charger set to?

OP
OP

Focuz0ndis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
When you plug the teslatap into the tesla connector you're supposed to wait 30 seconds and then plug it into the car. Don't know why or if you did/didn't; just passing along the info.

Also, what amperage is the wall charger set to?
The last sentence stated i left the adapter plugged in multiple minutes before plugging in the car. Have tried this multiple times. Just weird it worked 2 days and now it wont.
I would love to replace the Tesla connector with a chargepoint but waiting the 4-6 weeks isn’t possible, otherwise I’m stuck with the tesla also and out $600

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
The last sentence stated i left the adapter plugged in multiple minutes before plugging in the car. Have tried this multiple times. Just weird it worked 2 days and now it wont.
I would love to replace the Tesla connector with a chargepoint but waiting the 4-6 weeks isn’t possible, otherwise I’m stuck with the tesla also and out $600
Sorry, I skimmed the last paragraph so missed that tidbit.

You also missed my question: what amperage is the EVSE set for?

OP
OP

Focuz0ndis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
Connecting to the Teslas wifi, i set it for a 60 amp breaker. So the output at 48 should be fine. The fact that it worked for 2 days without issues/errors tells me that.
Just wondering if the mini adapter somehow went bad after some rain that night.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
I think I'd contact Teslatap and see what they have to say.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Others have reported the same issue using a Tesla wall connector at home with the MME at max amperage. I remember reading the threads, but don't remember seeing a solution.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Others have reported the same issue using a Tesla wall connector at home with the MME at max amperage. I remember reading the threads, but don't remember seeing a solution.
that's why I asked. Maybe reduce amperage to 32A just to see if it behaves itself at lower current? But yes, also contact teslatap

OP
OP

Focuz0ndis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
that's why I asked. Maybe reduce amperage to 32A just to see if it behaves itself at lower current? But yes, also contact teslatap
Yea I have an email out to them currently. May just call if I don’t hear anything back by the end of day.
Seeing as I have all the wires ran already, swapping to a different EVSE should be pretty simple.
The Chargepoint should be able to charge at 48 when hardwired correct? I’ve also seen reports that it does not.
The Juicebox cable is way too stiff to deal with. Any other recommendations for a hardwired EVSE? If Teslatap can’t/won’t help me I’ll end up replacing it all.

Mach-Tony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Carbonized Grey Premium AWD
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Just install a 14-50 outlet and don't deal with hardwiring because you may have issues that you'll have to have someone else fix. I charge at 40A with no issues out of my Grizzl-E Extreme. I wouldn't put too much trust in third party adapters and trying to use Tesla chargers, but that's just my opinion.

OP
OP

Focuz0ndis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
I also have an outlet installed next to the hardwire just as a backup for this specific reason. Kinda glad I did that.
Guess I’ll wait to hear from teslatap at this point.

bshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X (Job 1)
Country flag
I also have an outlet installed next to the hardwire just as a backup for this specific reason. Kinda glad I did that.
Guess I’ll wait to hear from teslatap at this point.
I am curious as to how you accomplished this?
Is the outlet on a separate circuit than the hardwire EVSE? Otherwise, what prevents some unknowing person from using the outlet at the same time as your hardwire EVSE?

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Seeing as I have all the wires ran already, swapping to a different EVSE should be pretty simple.
The Chargepoint should be able to charge at 48 when hardwired correct? I’ve also seen reports that it does not.
The Juicebox cable is way too stiff to deal with. Any other recommendations for a hardwired EVSE? If Teslatap can’t/won’t help me I’ll end up replacing it all.
Just go with the ChargePoint Home Flex. It's in stock at Amazon right now, but won't be for long. I have one and it has no issues charging the MME at 48 amps.

OP
OP

Focuz0ndis

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium
Country flag
I am curious as to how you accomplished this?
Is the outlet on a separate circuit than the hardwire EVSE? Otherwise, what prevents some unknowing person from using the outlet at the same time as your hardwire EVSE?
Separate circuit. Breaker had room for 2 60amps so we installed it

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Any other recommendations for a hardwired EVSE? If Teslatap can’t/won’t help me I’ll end up replacing it all.
Others have had complaints, but my experience with the Ford Connected Charge Station has been flawless. It's more expensive than other brands, though.
Sponsored