Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range

toggleE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E, Raptor, Ducati SF, WRX STI
Country flag
Am I reading this correctly?

There is a drop to 68% efficiency/range in the Mach E in freezing weather?

The Model Y is 1% more efficient in freezing weather over warm weather?

Cherlin

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Focus RS , Premium EX4, 22' M3 SR+, R1T Order
Occupation
Electric Utilities - Management
Country flag
This is worthless data. It's literally just them taking the range predictions from the GOM's and calling that the cold vs warm range. Tesla doesn't predict for weather ford does, so this is apples and oranges. No driving data In this.

Rudy Bega

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln Nautilus, 21’ Rapid Red GTPE as of 2/14/22
Country flag
Am I reading this correctly?

There is a drop to 68% efficiency/range in the Mach E in freezing weather?
Proof that one thing you can always count on in regards to EV range - Tesla is full of shit. Always.
Have a friend that owns a Y here in Michigan, confirms that he loses 20%. Has tested this several times. I don’t know what the numbers on the chart represent. Mentioned to him and he laughed and said “yeah right, Tesla wishes”
The Model Y is 1% more efficient in freezing weather over warm weather?

Bonehead

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD Ex
Country flag
The last sentence of the article:

"What to watch: Ford is considering a software update that would give drivers more insight into how to improve their vehicle’s range."

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag
This was Axios regurgitating an older article along with some updated graphics.

https://www.recurrentauto.com/research/winter-ev-range-loss

The original article actual gives a much better picture… note the difference in auto manufacturer predicted cold weather range vs observed range. Mach-e definitely takes more of a hit (vs other predicted ranges) but actually better reflects reality than what another major EV player represents.

67 Stang Convertible

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1967 Mustang, 2013 Kia Optima, 2018 Kia Sportage
Occupation
Physician
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646423977723

Can someone reach out and ask her are those hard #'s from driving the car or from GOMs?

blazinazn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ER AWD Premium
Country flag
This is worthless data. It's literally just them taking the range predictions from the GOM's and calling that the cold vs warm range. Tesla doesn't predict for weather ford does, so this is apples and oranges. No driving data In this.
I was wondering how they did this since even in the Reddit comments on the chart Tesla owners were like "I see a 30% drop at least."

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Yup, totally wrong biased data. Too funny, 93% of EPA at 30F lol lol lol.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
Total BS... Tesla is better in Winter than summer. Amazing! In reading this it is not based on actual. Just what the GOM says....Unbelievable such crap data exists. Actually it proves the Ford GOM is true where the others lie.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646429239688

Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646429276617

Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646429348053

Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646429424978

Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646429457893
Ford Mustang Mach-E Chart on warm and cold EPA mile adjustments -- how temperature affects Mach-E battery range 1646429526376

I have a Hyundai. I know the truth. 40% loss.....This is hilarious. I hope people go buy these cars and expect this......

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
In reading the source article it says that

range losses are based on on-board telematics and reflect the OEMs proprietary range calculations and software.

This article has been picked up and repeated a few times... It seems to me this incentivizes manufacturers to have wildly optimistic GOMs that ignore temperature (Tesla, Nissan, Hyundai) and penalizes those that get it right (Ford, BMW, GM) The data in the chart above in no way reflects the experience of my friends with other brand electric cars.

As more people drive EV's and understand what happens when your battery gets cold, I expect that articles like this will be held up to ridicule.