Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Prem. EB 4WD, X3, IX50
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was unaware of that change in 2020. It used to be a common thing to claim exempt for a period of time. I'll check with my tax guy on that. Ultimately the IRS will get whats coming to them, whether up front or come tax day, I'd rather use the money toward the cost of the vehicle then wait.
Most likely you didnā€™t qualify in 2019 either . Per the 2019 w4

I claim exemption from withholding for 2019, and I certify that I meet both of the following conditions for exemption.
ā€¢ Last year I had a right to a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I had no tax liability, and
ā€¢ This year I expect a refund of all federal income tax withheld because I expect to have no tax liability.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thank you all for the replies!

Is there any way of actually knowing where Ford stands on the 200k EV number? I would have guessed it was pretty low still since previous EV's weren't that popular and MACH deliveries this year weren't very high (sub 20k if I remember correctly?).

Obviously getting this car all hinges on the tax credit. My plan would be to claim exempt in the months leading up to the delivery so I can apply the money up front rather than waiting until tax time, but If the credit runs out then I'll be forced to go with a different EV, unless of course they pass this new bill.
As others have said, I wouldnā€™t worry too much about the tax credit running out for most of next year. If by some surprise Ford hit 200,000 on Halloween this year, it would still be in full force on this coming St. Patrickā€™s Day. If they do it on Memorial Day, you are still fine on Labor Day. If they hit 200,000 on July 4, youā€™ll still have the full tax credit if you take delivery on Christmas 2022.

However, even when it starts to exhaust, Ford will likely just drop the price of the Mach-E like Tesla did to compensate. It probably wonā€™t make up for the whole thing, but like Tesla, no reason to believe Ford is passing 100% of this tax savings to the customer.

OP
OP

Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
@ARK Thats comforting to hear, thanks. I know as soon as the lightning hits itā€™ll be a huge surge. I was kind of a Ford hater until the Mach. Since then Iā€™ve seen them make a lot of good moves with the Bronco, lightning. Iā€˜ve come aboard
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK