John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla S90D, 2021 Mach-E AWD ER
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I forgot to check the lug nut torque after I had put 100 miles on the Mach-E.
I remembered it after 300 miles.

The recommended lug nut torque specification is 150 lb-ft.
All of mine were loose between 1/3 and 1/2 turn.

That is the highest torque I have seen on a car.
My 2013 Fusion Energi was 100 lb-ft.
My 2016 Tesla is 129 lb-ft.
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
I forgot to check the lug nut torque after I had put 100 miles on the Mach-E.
I remembered it after 300 miles.

150 is high, I thought my ‘14 SS sedan was a bit high at 130-135lb/ft. Also, curious as to what percent of owners actually own a 1/2” torque wrench that can do a 150 lb/ft. Aside from current/former ICE Mustang owners that is ?.

OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
150 is high, I thought my ‘14 SS sedan was a bit high at 130-135lb/ft. Also, curious as to what percent of owners actually own a 1/2” torque wrench that can do a 150 lb/ft. Aside from current/former ICE Mustang owners that is ?.
I have a 3/8" that goes to 80 lb-ft, 1/2" that goes to 150 lb-ft, and a 1/2" that goes to 250 lb-ft.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Does the spec state what lube, or dry? Seems like that would be a dry spec given the 14mm stud OD and a really good lube would reduce that requirement for the same stretch.

According to some fastener science education I have had, the leading cause of fastener failure is insufficient torque (discounting counterfeit fasteners).

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag

If you don't like 150 lb-ft, you will really hate my 2017 Edge torque. And it weighs less than a MME. :)

Instructions for proper torque enclosed.

And, yes, I had to buy a damn 250 ft-lb wrench. :mad:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Check Your Lug Nut Torque Wheeltorque.JPG

OP
OP
murphy62

murphy62

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
204 Nm is 150.4627 lb-ft.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Does the spec state what lube, or dry? Seems like that would be a dry spec given the 14mm stud OD and a really good lube would reduce that requirement for the same stretch.

According to some fastener science education I have had, the leading cause of fastener failure is insufficient torque (discounting counterfeit fasteners).
Lug nut torque specs are always dry.

It's a function of vehicle weight and loading, since this vehicle is heavy for the size wheels it has, it makes sense the torque is higher.

richsi

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla M3P, 2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The owner's manual says 150 lbs. but I question that. I took my torque wrench and tried to get to 150 lbs and it was way to much. All the other lugs on the car were at 100 lbs. A search of the internet says 100 lbs in some places and 150 lbs in others. I suspect the 150 lbs in the manual came from the ICE Mustangs and they just cut and paste it into the manual. I have read a lot of that happening into the Mech-E manual. I will stay at 100 Lbs., 150 lbs is way to much in my opinion, but hey that's me!

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
The owner's manual says 150 lbs. but I question that. I took my torque wrench and tried to get to 150 lbs and it was way to much. All the other lugs on the car were at 100 lbs. A search of the internet says 100 lbs in some places and 150 lbs in others. I suspect the 150 lbs in the manual came from the ICE Mustangs and they just cut and paste it into the manual. I have read a lot of that happening into the Mech-E manual. I will stay at 100 Lbs., 150 lbs is way to much in my opinion, but hey that's me!
An engineer definitely signs off on the lug nut torque, it's not just copied from another vehicle or that would be a huge liability. The Mach-E weights 40% more than most cars so that's why the torque is proportionally higher.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Lug nut torque specs are always dry.

It's a function of vehicle weight and loading, since this vehicle is heavy for the size wheels it has, it makes sense the torque is higher.
Not even close. Fastener torque required is based on the minor OD of the fastener and the material and treatments applied to that fastener. Torque for a fastener is derived via formula for how much is required to stretch the fastener for optimum loading. The specific lubricant involved alters the amount of friction in the interface between the male and female halves of the equation, thus altering the amount of torque required for a given fastener stretch. I have done my share of fastener specifications and always specify whether it is dry or not and if not which lubricant is used. ARP probably has the most accessible information about this.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Not even close. Fastener torque required is based on the minor OD of the fastener and the material and treatments applied to that fastener. Torque for a fastener is derived via formula for how much is required to stretch the fastener for optimum loading. The specific lubricant involved alters the amount of friction in the interface between the male and female halves of the equation, thus altering the amount of torque required for a given fastener stretch. I have done my share of fastener specifications and always specify whether it is dry or not and if not which lubricant is used. ARP probably has the most accessible information about this.
Yes, I agree, I should clarify what I meant. "Dry" means don't add oil or antiseize to the threads. If the manufacturer puts a thread coating on then that's accounted for in the spec, basically the spec is "as-is from the factory". "Function of weight and loading" means a different fastener size or thread would have been selected, I'm not implying that they would just up the spec with the same fastener for obvious reasons unless it was in the safe range.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
You all even had me buy a torque wrench from Amazon this week.

I didn't even know what a torque wrench was, and I don't even have my MME yet, but there's now a torque wrench in the garage waiting for it.

You all spend too damned much of my money!

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I swapped out a flat tire on my wife's car at a few weeks old. There is no way the factory set those lugs at 150 pounds.
Sponsored