Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I’d like to recommend everyone to make a small investment and get something that will let you check your vehicle for DTCs. It could save you a lot of problems and money down the road.

My coolant pump failed and threw P2797 and the car never indicated there was a problem. No MIL. No SVS. No SSN. Just no warning period. I was told by a fellow forum member that the pump failure first registered 5 MONTHS AGO! I’ve been driving the car through all these 100°F+ days with no coolant pump.

I don’t understand how or why the car isn’t warning me, but it got me thinking how many of us owners are driving a Mach-E with a DTC that should be throwing an alert to the driver.

More info can be read here.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I’d like to recommend everyone to make a small investment and get something that will let you check your vehicle for DTCs. It could save you a lot of problems and money down the road.

My coolant pump failed and threw P2797 and the car never indicated there was a problem. No MIL. No SVS. No SSN. Just no warning period. I was told by a fellow forum member that the pump failure first registered 5 MONTHS AGO! I’ve been driving the car through all these 100°F+ days with no coolant pump.

I don’t understand how or why the car isn’t warning me, but it got me thinking how many of us owners are driving a Mach-E with a DTC that should be throwing an alert to the driver.

More info can be read here.
Do you have to have an active FDRS subscription to pull DTCs? Or how would I pull them from my Mongoose reader?

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I got this simple Bluetooth OBD-II reader. Cheap and works great with my iPhone.

The reader is compatible with many car scanner apps. I use the free version of Car Scanner and it is available for Android too.

I think @DevSecOps made a recommendation about these items in the big HVBJB thread.

$30 and it does what I need.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
@cbcasas your mongoose reader might work with Forscan, which can also check for DTCs. I don’t know much about that reader though.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Seems like an engineering oversight P2797 that doesn't trigger a "Service Vehicle Soon" error. Loss of a coolant or oil pump should be a condition that triggers that message so the vehicle is serviced before further damage is done. In your case, I hope they don't find burnt fluid and metal shaving inside, otherwise you'll need a whole new motor. That would be a major warranty expense for Ford due to a small mistake.

OP
OP
bncwhite

bncwhite

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I would hope the tech would tell me they found burnt fluid or metal shavings and not mention it just to avoid a repair they’d rather not perform.
Sponsored