Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Chevrolet Performance has unveiled the new Electric Connect and Cruise package, a fully electric crate motor and battery combo (eCrate) that will allow car enthusiasts to build their own battery-powered projects.

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/1...launches-electric-connect-and-cruise-package/

With this package, even an old gasser Mustang can join the new "herd" or "team" of electrics with the Mach-E.
Sponsored

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
Wow! I cant wait to get more info...I suspect the battery pack is too large but I’d love to get something like that for my Jeep! It’s a long wheelbase version so maybe if I remove the back seat it could work...

OP
OP
Raymondjram

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I've had a dream to convert an Edsel for a few years. Is this my chance?
My neighbor in the 1960's had a blue Edsel (I never asked about the year). It was not as ugly as many put it. But you can convert older Ford classics such as Falcons and Pintos if you still have them available . Give them a new life as an EV.

OP
OP
Raymondjram

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Wow! I cant wait to get more info...I suspect the battery pack is too large but I’d love to get something like that for my Jeep! It’s a long wheelbase version so maybe if I remove the back seat it could work...
The battery shown in the article seems to be from the Chevy Bolt EV. Maybe the whole package is from the Bolt.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
My neighbor in the 1960's had a blue Edsel (I never asked about the year). It was not as ugly as many put it. But you can convert older Ford classics such as Falcons and Pintos if you still have them available . Give them a new life as an EV.
That’s one way to keep a Pinto gas tank from exploding.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
The battery shown in the article seems to be from the Chevy Bolt EV. Maybe the whole package is from the Bolt.
Not selling as many Bolts as they had contracted battery and motors purchased?

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
I’ve had delusions of taking an AC Cobra kit (like Factory Five’s) and coupling it with an electric drive system....

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It’s a 2019 Bolt in a box. It’s the 60 kWh battery not the 66. They give you everything you need except an old donor car.

OP
OP
Raymondjram

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Lingenfelter Performance Is first GM eCrate Powertrains Certified installer.:
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/1...st-gm-ecrate-powertrains-certified-installer/

Now the GM "eCrate" package can be installed by a very professional installer for those who cannot do it themselves.

"Chevrolet Performance said that participating dealers and aftermarket companies would receive training, tools, and equipment to work with the high-voltage drive system". This means that any other "tuner" can get training and the tools to do conversions, too.

Ford must do the same after the first year of Mach-E cars are sold.

Last edited:

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Ford must do the same after the first year of Mach-E cars are sold.
Why? That would likely be a poor business move as long as they are selling Mach-Es as fast as they can make them - it would take parts away from the profitable Mach-E.

The Bolt sold less than 17,000 units last year ( Chevrolet Bolt U.S. Sales Decreased In 2019 To 16,418 (insideevs.com) ) and, not far from me at least, Bolts have $8,500 on the hood right now ( Find a Chevy Bolt EV Near Me | Vehicle Locator (chevrolet.com) ) - about 20% off MSRP - so they aren't exactly setting the world on fire this year either, apparently. I strongly suspect GM decided to cut some losses here with this kit ("we have the parts, building the shell around it would waste money"), although I don't expect that to ever be admitted to.

I'd like it if Ford did this to get more EVs out there once they see a slowdown in sales because that's good for the world at large, but that's not the same as "must".

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Today, on Fun With Fieros...

OP
OP
Raymondjram

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Today, on Fun With Fieros...
The Pontiac Fiero is very much alive and well here. The local Fiero Club has over 200 cars and show up during the annual Classic Auto Show every January except for 2021 due to the pandemia restrictions.

It is a very good candidate for electrification.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
The Pontiac Fiero is very much alive and well here. The local Fiero Club has over 200 cars and show up during the annual Classic Auto Show every January except for 2021 due to the pandemia restrictions.

It is a very good candidate for electrification.
Oh, I am aware. I had one for a while that I wanted to put a body kit and motor swap into. That was a fun car, and I can only imagine how much fun a dual motor BEV version would be.
Sponsored