MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
I wonder if glare will be a bigger problem at that angle, however.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Definitely looks much nicer than the “tack it on as an afterthought” aesthetic started by Tesla and the Europeans. I never understood the appeal. The Europeans called the design “floating”. I call it “lazy”.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
I like the Mach E style better. The Mach E design provides storage space under the display (for phones and small accessories) and behind the display above dashboard (I use that area for masks)

balthisar

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Expedition; 2021 Mach E Premium AWD Extended
Occupation
Engineer@FoMoCo
Country flag
I like it in my MME; I hated it in my previous Explorer (I had the big version, but it's not nearly as larges as my MME's). I've not thought about it enough to understand why I like it in one but hate it in the other. I generally hated that Explorer, so maybe that plays into it.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I could see how you could design a large display into the dash, so that it looks like an integral part of the dash, and preserve storage space below the dash, instead of going for a waterfall into the console aesthetic. If you look at more recent iterations from other manufacturers, they’re going away from the “stick an iPad mount on the dash and put an iPad there” solution. They’re beginning to think “what is an HMI when we now have the flexibility (literally with OLEDs!) to make displays any size and shape we need and have them flow harmoniously in the cabin?”
Mustang Mach E is Version 1. Mac OS X Cheetah, if you will. I’m sure that, just like Mac OS X and macOS, Ford’s EVs and their HMIs are going to get much better with each iteration!
Sponsored